shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal Scope vs. AGS-ASET for Cushion Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Evan

Rough_Rock
I'm planning on heading over to AGA (hopefully later today) to pick up an Ideal Scope (IS) and/or an AGS-ASET. This thread was very helpful in differentiating the two, but I still have some questions.

First of all, I realize that the IS is recommended for a consumer like me. I've also read that many people prefer the AGS-ASET for fancy cuts. Seeing as I will (at least for now) be exclusively using the scope(s) on cushion cuts, does it still make sense to stick to the IS? I am not opposed to buying both, but would that essentially be redundant? Do both scopes compliment each other, or does the AGS-ASET subsume the functionality of the IS (for a skilled user)?

Finally, as an aside, I just called AGA and they are out of the pro version of the IS; is the 6x vs. 10x zoom really important? I've read many forum posts suggesting that the pro version is superior to the regular IS, so is it worth it for me to wait until the pro version is available?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2006 10:29:47 AM
Author:Evan
I'm planning on heading over to AGA (hopefully later today) to pick up an Ideal Scope (IS) and/or an AGS-ASET. This thread was very helpful in differentiating the two, but I still have some questions.

First of all, I realize that the IS is recommended for a consumer like me. I've also read that many people prefer the AGS-ASET for fancy cuts. Seeing as I will (at least for now) be exclusively using the scope(s) on cushion cuts, does it still make sense to stick to the IS? I am not opposed to buying both, but would that essentially be redundant? Do both scopes compliment each other, or does the AGS-ASET subsume the functionality of the IS (for a skilled user)?

Finally, as an aside, I just called AGA and they are out of the pro version of the IS; is the 6x vs. 10x zoom really important? I've read many forum posts suggesting that the pro version is superior to the regular IS, so is it worth it for me to wait until the pro version is available?

For a broad indication of light return in any diamond the IS is a useful tool, regular or pro model. The pro model is somewhat easier to use and interpret, but both are suited to the job. You can learn more from an ASET image than an ideal-scope with fancies at-a-glance. I prefer an image acquired through the desktop or presentation model to the hand-held unit. I've not had much luck with the first-generation hand-held (the one that looks like IS). It's extremely placement-sensitive. There is a new version but I have not experimented with it yet. Here are the different ASET products.

No matter what you choose in a reflector, remember that fancies must be seen dynamically to be fully appreciated. A narrow range of performance expectations cannot be applied to fancy cuts as we do for round stones because of the different looks available. In fancies small amounts of light leakage can be good for contrast and character.

The best thing you posted is that you are going to AGA. Dave and Chris and the gang will give you a great education there. Let us know how it goes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the first generation hand held aset and the pro model IS and like them both.
Properly used both will tell you a lot about the stone.
For fancies I prefere the ASET if your willing to take the time to learn it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Storm and John have given you good advice - if you will take the time to understand ASET - then like me you would not buy a cushion without it. The ideal-scope is effective for prescreening - and will help a lot - but it is not as useful for the final decision. Try tweezers and tilt / rotate the stone and be sure to avoid big leakage windowy stones.

Date: 6/20/2006 5:40:58 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

I prefer an image acquired through the desktop or presentation model to the hand-held unit. I''ve not had much luck with the first-generation hand-held (the one that looks like IS). It''s extremely placement-sensitive. There is a new version but I have not experimented with it yet. Here are the different ASET products.

That is interesting John. I grant you that the AGS presentation model has a wonderful bright light source, but otherwise it is just the hand held $50 ASET with a fancy housing built around it.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2006 5:44:57 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

I prefer an image acquired through the desktop or presentation model to the hand-held unit. I've not had much luck with the first-generation hand-held (the one that looks like IS). It's extremely placement-sensitive. There is a new version but I have not experimented with it yet. Here are the different ASET products.
That is interesting John. I grant you that the AGS presentation model has a wonderful bright light source, but otherwise it is just the hand held $50 ASET with a fancy housing built around it.
Not a prob for veteran tweezer-siezers. I say this because of my work with non-diamond pros: On first attempts they have a difficult time lining the diamond up properly with ASET. I have them 'warm-up' using tweezers/diamond with IS, then move to HH ASET once the technique is developed.

Reminds me of my first time eating Chinese food.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2006 12:27:38 PM

Date: 6/21/2006 5:44:57 AM

I prefer an image acquired through the desktop or presentation model to the hand-held unit. I''ve not had much luck with the first-generation hand-held (the one that looks like IS). It''s extremely placement-sensitive. There is a new version but I have not experimented with it yet. Here are the different ASET products.
John here is a couple of photo''s I found in my files from Vegas - note the original hand held ASET is the working part of the new Demo ASET. So if you are having problems it is npot the lens or the reflectors.

new demo aset.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: IS and HH ASET use with Tweezers.

I don''t have one but I think if you''re going to invest in the IS or HH ASET, that you get the light box with the stone holder to get optimal results. I do have a basic IS, a Firescope, ASET Desktop, HH ASET, and the presentation ASET.

It is hard to position the stone correctly and accurately with just tweezers. In order to make sure that the stone is positioned at the correct "distance" position, you have to have the girdle positioned accurately and not any tilt, which if the stone isn''t positiioned exactly stationary,and aligned on both axises, the image will be skewed.

So.... while you''re at AGA, look at the light box and the stone holder, and see how you do with the tweezer vs the light box thingie they sell.

Rockdoc

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2006 12:40:48 PM

John here is a couple of photo''s I found in my files from Vegas - note the original hand held ASET is the working part of the new Demo ASET. So if you are having problems it is npot the lens or the reflectors.
Roger that. It''s an operator issue (with non-pros), not equipment. Did you see my post above?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2006 1:14:19 PM

Date: 6/21/2006 12:40:48 PM

Roger that. It''s an operator issue (with non-pros), not equipment. Did you see my post above?

I have the original hand held and just compared the inner filter with the color bands to each other.

It appears that the hand held ASET is slightly different from the one in the presentation ASET. The pink is a different color, the blue appears slightly larger and at the base there is a dark green ring in the presentation one.

Just my observation when comparing the two.

The part of the desktop unit IS very different from the hand held one.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results