shape
carat
color
clarity

I really don't know what to do...

Findthegraal78

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I live in Switzerland and I decided to buy a loose diamond online in the US due to our low import duties (8-10%). I may be wrong but after screening and comparing prices there vs Europe I found your market (especially online) way more attractive and dynamic than our stores here...(I do not even mention the online that is left WAAAAYYY behind)
The intent of my purchase is to create a solitaire ring to propose my gf :appl:
My girl has a tiny and long finger so I found 0.70 round brilliant to be a good compromise between size and my budget (so I can focus more in sparkle and fire of the stone). Before posting here I lost days of sleep reading everywhere about diamonds and your website has been an important source of information... THANK YOU :read:
Now, I would really value and appreciate your experience and suggestions over the 3 diamonds that are in my shortlist (they all are in the 3.5k range). I am sure your contribution will make my gf smile bigger :sun:

1)

Round Brilliant (GIA cert.)
Measurements :5.65 - 5.68 x 3.51 mm
HCA Score: Total Visual Performance 1.7 - Excellent within TIC range
Carat Weight: 0.70 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VVS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
proportions
Depth 61.9 % Table 57 %
Crown Angle 35.0° Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 40.8° Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle
Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None
finish: Polish
Excellent
Symmetry
Excellent
Fluorescence
None
clarity characteristics
Needle, Pinpoint

N2)
Measurements: 5.71 - 5.73 x 3.52 mm
HCA Score: Total Visual Performance 1.3 - Excellent within TIC range
Carat Weight 0.70 carat
Color Grade G
Clarity Grade VVS2
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 61.5 % Table 56 %
Crown Angle 34.5° Crown Height 15.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 75%
Girdle
Thin to Medium, Faceted, 3.0%
Culet: None
Finish: Polish Excellent Symmetry Excellent
This one has a series of laser prints: MAPLE LEAF SYMBOL , [IGI2 symbol], THE LOVE DIAMOND
(dumb question: cal all those prints affect the final value of the diamond?)

N3)
Measurements: 5.72 - 5.74 x 3.54 mm
HCA Score: Total Visual Performance 1.7 - Excellent within TIC range
Carat Weight 0.71 carat
Color Grade G
Clarity Grade VS1
Cut Grade Excellent
Depth 61.8 % Table 57 %
Crown Angle 35° Crown Height 15.0%
Star Length 55%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle
Medium, Faceted, 3.5%
Culet: None
Finish: Polish Excellent Symmetry Excellent
This one qualifies as True HeartsTM Ideal Diamond

I am waiting to get the other stones IdealScope images in the next 2 days..and I'll post them as soon as I get them... but in the meantime I wanted to share my findings with you since I will have only 24 hours to close the order.

Thx!

schermata_2014-04-05_alle_00.png

schermata_2014-04-05_alle_0.png

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Here are 3 good candidates, with top-notch cut, and proven light performance (AGS 0 - Ideal). All of these are under $3,500 after Pricescope discount:

.707ct, H, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.707-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104069795033

.708ct, F, VS1
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.708-f-vs1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104068959034

.733ct, F, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.733-f-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104069795034

If I were shopping for a stone in that size range, I would choose one of those three and know I was getting a guaranteed winner!

Findthegraal78

Rough_Rock
Thx Rocky! Much appreciate, I'll check them out immediately :)
What about my selection? I didnt do a good job after all my reading then? :lol:

Ps. How do I get the PriceScope discount? I have to specify that I sucribed the forum?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like your selections are fine.

But you REALLY do not need VVS clarity at all. That last VS1 diamond is a nice choice.

Findthegraal78

Rough_Rock
Thx Gypsy, I guess when you see those x40 magnification as a newbee you become paranoid about inclusions, not realizing that is human eye safe right?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Findthegraal78|1396652744|3647555 said:
Thx Rocky! Much appreciate, I'll check them out immediately :)
What about my selection? I didnt do a good job after all my reading then? :lol:

Ps. How do I get the PriceScope discount? I have to specify that I sucribed the forum?

You actually did a fine job of selecting stones. I just wanted to give you some other options, for the same amount of money. Nothing wrong with your choices!

Just tell the vendor you're a Pricescope user and you'll get the discount. Easy as that!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Findthegraal78|1396653270|3647563 said:
Thx Gypsy, I guess when you see those x40 magnification as a newbee you become paranoid about inclusions, not realizing that is human eye safe right?

You are talking about something smaller than a pencil eraser. I totally get it. But just to give you perspective... These stones are probably going to eyeclean to most eyes:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-268045 DEFINITELY eyeclean (the cut is another matter)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.51-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-299449 that feather is likely to blend and the rest is going to be clean.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.53-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-306999 Even these have a good chance to be fine too since the diamond is a 1/2 carat stone.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.50-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-307004 this one is prongable so once set, totally clean.

So that let's you know how much leeway you have. If you have a good honest vendor you can get completely eyeclean SI2. Let alone VS.

Findthegraal78

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, you are really amazing, and making me feel more confident on my purchase...

After seeing also your suggestion now I hesitate only between

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.733-f-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104069795034#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/4/

and this

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.71-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-298200

But since Rocky said I cant get the first one at 3.5k$ I am way tempted to go for the first one... Fluorescence shouldnt be a problem with that clarity and cut right?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Findthegraal78|1396657396|3647631 said:
Thanks guys, you are really amazing, and making me feel more confident on my purchase...

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.733-f-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104069795034#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/4/

and this

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.71-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-298200

But since Rocky said I cant get the first one at 3.5k$ I am way tempted to go for the first one... Fluorescence shouldnt be a problem with that clarity and cut right?

It's not a problem. But it will glow faintly blue in irect sunlight (and obviously under a blacklight)... which most people consider a bonus and fun. All of BGD's blue line are individually checked to make sure there is no negative effect, so you are perfectly safe. But you do need to know that there will be a cool blue glow in direct sunlight. It's a personal thing, we can't tell you if you'll be okay with that or not. I'd kill to be able to trade in my stone for a strong blue though, in case you are wondering, alas... my stone is my forever stone and I did not know about fluorescence when we were buying it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I happen to love fluorescence and certainly BG's stones are exceptionally well cut. My hesitation for you is that I can see the inclusion under the table in that .73 VS2. I know I probably can't see it with the eye, but I almost think you'd be better off going with a VS1 considering you are in another country and you won't want to deal with a return. I agree that VVS is overkill, but VS1 is great for people wanting a very clean stone to the eye.

Findthegraal78

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1396658409|3647649 said:
I happen to love fluorescence and certainly BG's stones are exceptionally well cut. My hesitation for you is that I can see the inclusion under the table in that .73 VS2. I know I probably can't see it with the eye, but I almost think you'd be better off going with a VS1 considering you are in another country and you won't want to deal with a return. I agree that VVS is overkill, but VS1 is great for people wanting a very clean stone to the eye.

To be honest I had the same concern you mention here, that's why I wanted to be on the safe side. Since the beginning of my "quest" the magnification of this JA diamond seemed to me the most convincing one, and the hight magnification without noticiable flares gives me the right "vibes" when I see it.

Price to me seems good to me considering that here for the same quality I have seen price requests ranging on the 4.5/4.8k zone.

Findthegraal78

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1396657814|3647641 said:
Findthegraal78|1396657396|3647631 said:

and this

It's not a problem. But it will glow faintly blue in irect sunlight (and obviously under a blacklight)... which most people consider a bonus and fun. All of BGD's blue line are individually checked to make sure there is no negative effect, so you are perfectly safe. But you do need to know that there will be a cool blue glow in direct sunlight. It's a personal thing, we can't tell you if you'll be okay with that or not. I'd kill to be able to trade in my stone for a strong blue though, in case you are wondering, alas... my stone is my forever stone and I did not know about fluorescence when we were buying it.

hahah my gf would love one of those under the light of the disco :D

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on reading the information AND applying it from the beginning! Smart shopper and you will have a gorgeous ring! Welcome to price scope!

Findthegraal78

Rough_Rock
AprilBaby|1396725308|3647994 said:
Congratulations on reading the information AND applying it from the beginning! Smart shopper and you will have a gorgeous ring! Welcome to price scope!

Thanks! An amazing source of information, I learned new things AND the research is over :sun: :appl: ...here's my purchase:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3045718.htm

I streched a bit the budget but it worth it I think! Your appraisals are more then welcome :)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
It looks good to me. AGS 000, G VS1, and 6mm diameter is a nice size, too. :D

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a real beauty.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely - and nice size for the price too!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice.

Findthegraal78

Rough_Rock
Hello, I got the stone last monday. Extremely happy with the purchase, but even more with the brilliant customer service provided at Whiteflash, as an ecommerce manager I appreciated a lot the fact that during each step of the purchase my order was handled from a specific person in charge of that specific step (e.g. first information, order handling, order shipping etc), in my opinion this makes all communication really smooth. Here some pictures, I know, light is not good at all (my lamp warm light makes yellish sparkles while outside in the sun is very white) ... I will take better macro shots with my pro camera when the goldsmith will finish the setting.

10249026_723387207706310_665906196_n_0.jpg

10248963_723387204372977_214321665_n.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! Wait till you see it in the setting!!
You are going to have one happy gf.:appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous diamond!!!

Findthegraal78

Rough_Rock
Hello ladies & gentleman,
my ring is finally ready! :appl: so I wanted to share with you :)

That's how the inside of the ring looks like - I laser-engraved the coordinates of the place where we met the 1st time
img_8219-2.jpg

while the "O" letter of "TO NIRVANA" is a ruby (very hard to see in picture how purple is the stone)
img_8218-2.jpg

And finally the ring.
schermata_2014-06-19_alle_22.png
img_3352-2.jpg
img_8320.jpg
img_8317.jpg

I am very happy with the final result, my girl will love it!

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
You are so sweet and thoughtful. That inscription is so darn sweet. And yes she will love it :love:

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
That looks great! She'll love it! That's a very thoughtful inscription.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results