shape
carat
color
clarity

How should I get this diamond appraised?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting engaged and periodically ring-shopping for a while, and my grandmother just reminded me that I have a diamond ring from my great-grandmother in my safety deposit box (geez, how could I have forgotten!?)? Unfortunately it has no certificate or anything, and all my grandmother remembers is that it''s a one-carat round stone.

If it''s a good-quality cut/clarity/color I''d love to use it for my engagement ring, but how do I figure this out? Should I send it off to be GIA certified? How much would this cost? Thanks for your help!

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, does anyone know anything about diamond cutting techniques 120 years ago? Is there any chance the diamond approaches the quality of current diamond-cutting techniques?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could always send it to Dave Atlas/ Oldminer. He is a wonderful appraiser and knows the older cuts very well. It''s probably an old mine cut or an old european cut if it was your great grandmothers diamond. It sounds like a beauty. Please post some pics soon. I adore the older cuts!!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
The ring is what it is. If you would like a cert from GIA, it will have to be removed from it''s setting. They will not cert set stones. If you just want to know what you have, I would recommend one of the top-notch appraisers that post here. They can tell you what you have. The stone itself does not change. If it''s a lovely diamond, it will still be one after you find out what it is.
2.gif
A GIA cert will not change that. Just my .02.

Shay

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies just far. I'm thinking about having my dad bring it to a local independent appraiser in San Diego (both he and the ring are 2000 miles away from me now) to avoid paying shipping/insurance charges on it. I found a guy on this site who looks like he fits the bill: http://www.sdgemlab.com/.

What kind of services should I ask for? So far I'm thinking:
-carat weight (I actually don't mind if the diamond gets taken out of the setting b/c I'd reset anyway)
-clarity
-color
-dimensions of the stone
-type of cut (I'm guessing it's probably an OEC, but I'm not sure)
-idealscope image

Anything else? Thanks so much for your help!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Tom Underwood has been spoken well of here. However, if you''d like to be more centrally "in the loop," Richard Drucker is mentioned here also in the appraiser resources (I read earlier you''re in the Chicago area, right?), and has been recommended here. Also, in downtown Chicago is PGS, a less well known but highly regarded "certifying agency," that also performs appraisals. You might consider a call to all 3, to learn about how they might be able to assist.

Regards,

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA has two locations in the U.S.
One in NY, the other in Carlsbad California, right up the I5 freeway, only about 30 minutes from you.

You can bring the loose stone up there yourself; you don't need a jeweler to send it for you.
I have and I'm not in the industry.
I think they will charge you about $150 for a full report.
They told me if you bring it in in person right when they open you can get the stone back the same day if you make an appointment.

The also have a very cool museum on their sight, and a superb bookstore and a nice cafe for lunch.
You can sit on the patio and overlook the Pacific Ocean.
Take the exit for Legoland, Canon I think.

They don't provide all the other services that a good appraiser can but a GIA report is arguably the most reputable and respected documentation your stone can get for the info it does contain.
They can also laser inscribe their report number onto your girdle.
Well, not YOUR girdle, your diamond's girdle.

9.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I would suggest you might approach this a little differently.

I think the first decision is that you need to see the stone and the ring, and decide if you like the "antique" type look the actual stone has, or if you really prefer stones that are cut more of the modern style or the Ideal H&A type style and if you like the style ring the diamond is set in.

If you decide you like the antique look it has, then just leave it alone. Just have it appraised so you can acquire insurance coverage.

If you do actually prefer the modern cut type stone when you compare this ring with ones that are in your local jewelry stores, then you need to find out if it is practical to have it recut, or just tell your boyfriend that you really want a newer style ring.

Generally though family heirlooms have a lot of sentimental value to them, and probably his family wouldn''t want you to have the stone recut.

As far as it not having a lab report, if you decide to keep the ring intact, a good local gemologist should be able to provide you with a good assessment.

Rockdoc

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with RocDoc....consider the sentimental feelings attached to the ring. You can't put a price on
sentiment and you can't replace it. A qualified appraiser will most certainly be able to estimate weight, color, clarity, etc.
without removing the diamond. It would be a good idea for you to know all the details of the diamond and get an
updated appraisal reflecting current values just for your own knowledge. Good luck!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results