shape
carat
color
clarity

How do internet vendors select their stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lal

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I don''t know if I''m starting a controversial topic or not but I''ve always wondered this and thought that this information might be helpful for consumers searching for stones over the internet.

When internet vendors claim they hand-select their stones, exactly what are they looking for? As I''m sure there are many beautiful stones out there, what exactly sets certain stones apart from others? Perhaps vendors can provide some input here. I''m wondering if different vendors select for different qualities.

For instance, are you looking for certain crown/pavillion angles? Adequate performances on tests? A stone that will likely appraise higher than the certification?

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Excellent question,

The lab report is only an opinion and opinions vary, yes even from the major labs.

Since it is a fact that SI clarity stones of the same grade can vary tremendously, from eye-clean to easily visible to the naked eye.

It is helpful to think of the clarity grades as a range, and not an exact, precise, quantifiable term.

Within these ranges of clarity there are for example, good SI-1's, bad SI-1's and maybe even the ugly SI-1's. ( this analogy will hold true thru the other clarity ranges as well)

It is common sense that diamond sellers that stock diamonds will buy for stock the nicer of these ranges of clarities and especially the nicer (eye clean) SI's .

The same will also hold true for color grading.

The individual color grades should also be thought of as a 'color range' and not an exact color.

Astute buyers of diamonds will of course be more apt to purchase for stock those diamonds that are in the upper end of any given range.

And now, cut.

I have to say that every diamond should be looked at individually as beauty cannot be judged by paper.

Therefore, myself, I will buy diamonds that 'speak' to me.

Usually, they will fall within AGS ideal parameters, but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results