shape
carat
color
clarity

Home rhodium plating?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightPearl

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if home/personal rhodium plating is a doable thing? If so, how much would it cost? Does anyone know the process and where to get the equipment?

I know that the jewelers would be ''upset'' but in the long run, even if the equipment is a ''reasonably pricy'', it may be worth it!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
BrightPearl.

Yes, the equipment is a little pricey, as is the chemical solution used. Both are available at Rio Grande or any of the other jewelers supply houses. The real problem is that the plating solution is extremely poisonous. Doing this at home is a bad idea for almost everyone.

If you decide to go for it, also make sure to pick up the necessary equipment to do the prepolish, finishing and cleaning work prior to the plating, otherwise the results can be worse than what you start with. Practice your finishing skills on a few pieces that you aren't attached to before you start. It's significantly harder than it looks.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

peptidbond

Rough_Rock
At those prices and that level of risk, you might as well sell the white gold and buy a new version in platinum. Just my $0.02

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have a degree in Chemistry with extensive laboratory experience. Chemicals aren''t a scarey thing to me. But I do have a very healthy respect for certain, specific chemicals. Sulfuric Acid it one on the "I respect that" list. Sulfuric is a nasty acid and a little dab can do some serious damage in short order.

I had a friend who was carrying 10 milliliters of Sulfuric Acid in a graduated cylinder from one lab bench to another. One little misstep, the graduated cylinder tipped, and the Sulfuric Acid ran down his arm. He was wearing a long sleeved shirt and lab coat. In the time it took to get to the safety shower (mere seconds as every lab has a safety shower), he already had a nasty burn down his forearm and in his elbow. He spent nearly a year with a platic surgeon working to keep the scar tissue reduced just so he would have complete mobility and range of motion in his elbow. Then there was reconstructive surgery that followed that.

You have to consider an appropriate exhaust system to remove fumes and disposal is an issue as well. Sulfuric Acid is considered a hazardous waste that needs to be dealt with by a specialty type of disposal company.

Doesn''t sound like an appropriate home project for the average consumer.
1.gif

cascadejim

Rough_Rock
The EPA won''t be too fond of a "home-plating" operation going on and neither will your local authorities. It takes a lot, A LOT, of inspections and certifications to be allowed to plate metals. You''ll need special washing and draining tanks and those won''t be able to run off into the local sewers. Basically, no, you can''t do this. I work in manufacturing of metals that we get plated and we use a few local people. It may be a better idea, and cheaper, to get to know some local platers and see if they do rhodium. They may drop it in with another job they are doing for cheap.

Where are you located?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How about this as an alternative? Find a local jeweler in your community that will do it for a reasonable price. Most will also check the ring for loose stones or other problems and recommend a remedy if they find any. The usually will also clean and polish the piece at the same time. Around here this package costs about $25. Seems like a bargain to me.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Oh I betchya, Steve!!
23.gif

Sulfuric acid is one I am always extremely careful with. Even when it isn''t full strength it''s still rather potent.
4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results