shape
carat
color
clarity

HI Color SI Clarity 1.25 Carats - Good Deal???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

keilcase

Rough_Rock
Went to Bailey Banks and Biddle this afternoon. I have NEVER bought a ring before, so could someone please tell me if I am making a mistake. BBB had a 1.25 carat HI color SI clarity Round cut in a yellow gold setting for $3750. I would like to get it in a White gold setting, so that may be an extra $500 or so, but is the ring itself a good deal?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
The price is excellent! Have you seen the stone in person? Is it big, bright, white, sparkly, and no visible inclusions?

keilcase

Rough_Rock
I have seen it in person...it looks great, although, again, I''ve never bought a ring before, so I don''t have anything to compare it to. It is a store closing sale...Is there anything I should be worried about, given that this location is closing? BBB is a big chain, so I wouldn''t think so. Does it matter if it isn''t certified?

sluke

Shiny_Rock
You should see the stone in person, and ask if there are any return policies. Bailey Banks and Biddle are affliated or owned by Zales. I have know folks who bought Zales rings with stones fallen out (one from an e-ring, another from a cocktails style ring).

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Find out what the return policy is (30 day money back). Set up an appointment with an independent appraiser and get the diamond appraised. If you are satisfied with what the appraiser says and you like the diamond then keep the diamond. Keep us up to date on what you do. Good luck!
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How come this is 'H-I' color and 'SI' clarity? Is there a lab report? If so... which sort? Such papers would state a determined grade - such as H-SI1 or I-Si2 and there is a difference. Also, if precise grades were not given, chances are the stone may not be in line with even the pessimistic end of the interval (I-SI2) in this case, and there sure is a price for a good cut. Most diamonds look nice-ish if you only get to see one. It makes sense, IMO, to compare this stone to one that is known to be well cut, even if at the particular store these are way out of budget. Perhaps they sell a branded H&A (HOF - 'Hearts on Fire' is one, there are others too). It is easy to see when cut makes a difference between top and not quite great brilliance - in comparison (IMO) color variations are relatively subtle and clarity faults show or don't. Very bright light (as a jewelry shop may have) may mask not so great cut - even glass chips sparkle somewhere! It is easy to tell what is which by looking at diamonds in different lights (daylight would be great).

My 2c.

There aren't too many bargains among diamonds (maybe estate...). If the price sounds good, there is usually a reason - something about the stone, not 'season discounts', personal favors etc.

Edited to add.
You can always use the database above to see what prices match etc. As far as I could find, I-Si2 without GIA or AGS reports (which are the strictest) match... so even if it is a good price it isn't one of a kind bargain. The cut quality also plays out - if only weight counts, not apparent size (diameter) or brilliance or the guarantee of grades (different labs are more or less lax and grades cannot be equated squarely between them...unfortunately), you can probably have this for less. The listed prices start at $2200!

On the other side, reputable grading and cut quality should be quite a bit more (5k?) for the claimed grades. The products should look rather different. If you can check, it would be great.

Claiming higher quality than reasonable for a low price would make an easy sell. If such a thing is also a good buy, it remains up to you to decide.

My 2c

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2005 3:15:33 PM
Author:keilcase
Went to Bailey Banks and Biddle this afternoon. I have NEVER bought a ring before, so could someone please tell me if I am making a mistake. BBB had a 1.25 carat HI color SI clarity Round cut in a yellow gold setting for $3750. I would like to get it in a White gold setting, so that may be an extra $500 or so, but is the ring itself a good deal?
is this stone H or I color? SI1 or SI2? i don''t think you can buy a nice 1.25ct from BBB for $3750.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know that it''s a store closing sale but that''s REALLY CHEAP for a ring with a 1.25 H/I SI stone. Is it H or I? SI1 or SI2? Non-certed you said, so no real way to know.

Can you take the ring to have it appraised before paying fully for it, OR buy it and have it appraised and have a return clause?

What if you buy it and it turns out it''s more like a J I1 because there is no cert from a reputable lab? Or what if the cut is horrible?

It could be a great deal but I would only do it if you could get it checked out by an appraiser before actually taking possession of it, and I don''t mean a BBB appraiser. Get someone impartial to give you some information on this ring and stone.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results