shape
carat
color
clarity

Helping my dad find an upgrade ring for mother

Gold_Esq

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I have been a longtime lurker since I expect to get engaged soon which is why my father recruited me for help finding my mother an upgraded engagement ring since they have been married 28 years. He gave me a budget of $8k-$10K total, he would prefer to stay closer to 8K but willing to go up to $10K. My mother prefers rings with a thicker band (~4mm+) in 18K white gold or platinum, doesn't care much for diamonds in the band and would like a carat size of 2ct (I know that is a stretch). Ideally I would like to get a RB as close to 2ct in size as possible, put the majority of the budget towards a diamond, and would not be opposed to going the custom route for a setting because my mother has expressed her strong dislike for thin bands.

I have done some online research and I know about using the HCA elimination tool and viewing the ideal-scope images. I like that Ritani gives the free in-store preview and since we live in NYC and I was wondering if it was worth it going to the diamond district to shop or should search online first at website such as GOG, WF, Ritani, BG, etc? Please send me diamond and setting suggestions.

Thank you for your help in advance!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

So I did a search on Bluenile, huge drop shipper with access to lots of inventory for 2-2.2 carats, no specification on color or clarity, and excellent cut, max price $10,000, and every shape they offer. Not to be a downer, but NOTHING came up. I think bluenile offers colors D-J. (I know Bluenile is not exactly popular on PS too.)

If your dad is set on 2 carats, he may need to bring his budget up. Or you can troll the pre-loved, Loupetroop, Diamond Bistro, and see if anything comes up.

Or consider below a J color. I don't know how much color matters to your mom.

Or consider OECs and try Old World Diamonds, Jewels by Grace or Love Affair Diamonds. You may need to call some of these vendors directly for their assistance.

Are there PSers out there that have other ideas how to get 2 carats, well cut, under $10K?

Gold_Esq

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! It doesn't have to be exactly 2ct, below is fine as well. Just looking for the best quality and largest RB diamond that $10k can buy. I'm sure I can get my dad to come up as well if necessary :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1418426972|3800301 said:

I don't see that one listed for sale. What's the color and clarity of it? It's a really lovely looking stone.

Love Affair diamonds carries Sholdt. I'd do the Sholdt Fremont with that stone.

sholdtaliastype.jpg

Ask Erica if you can negotiate a price for the set together that works for your dad.

ellesholsap.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1418429487|3800323 said:
canuk-gal|1418426972|3800301 said:

I don't see that one listed for sale. What's the color and clarity of it? It's a really lovely looking stone.

Love Affair diamonds carries Sholdt. I'd do the Sholdt Fremont with that stone.

sholdtaliastype.jpg

Ask Erica if you can negotiate a price for the set together that works for your dad.

ellesholsap.jpg

It came in the newsletter today--sneak peak. AGS report pending, but listed as an N SI1. :)) Hope it got it right!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note that stone has a large area of chipping around the girdle.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water! Those nibbles on the girdle might be the SI1 clarity call. But I don't know that for CERTAIN since I've not seen anything other than the posted picture and I have not discussed the same with the vendor.

If the potential customer is interested they can contact the vendor about it. And discuss color, clarity, and all those other important variables that come to mind.

Any other suggestions are certainly welcome!! :wavey: :saint:

cheers--Sharon

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree canuk-gal looks great for the price. Just wanted them to know though.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all are posting some beautiful stones, but they are around 10K (or more) If you look at her original post it sounds like Dad's range is 8 to at most 10K, and I don't know if that includes setting or not, and said would like to get as close to 2 carat as possible.

so I would really be looking for her, for 1.25 carat and up stones, price range no more than 8K.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?stockno=LD03498633

Though smaller, this is in the price range, a 1.32 I si, that scores 1.7 on the HCA.

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/flared-solitaire-ring-platinum_25662?elem=img&track=product
This is not 4 mm all the way around, but it is 4.3 mm at the stone and then tapers.

Do you know what the size of your Mom's current diamond is, and whether it is ideal cut?
Because ideal cut diamonds will look larger than a non ideal cut diamond, even if the same size or slightly bigger.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Use code ELF14 at checkout
Limited Time Only: Dec. 10 - 15

And if purchased in the next 2 days this is a code for 300 off.
Not saying you should get this diamond, I think you may need to find out whether size or ideal cut is most important, because you can't get both at that prices range.

Gold_Esq

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Sorry for not responding sooner but I have read each response and I appreciate all of your help! To answer a few questions, my mom's current engagement ring is one my father designed and it has a fake stone in it. They were married very young and in the Caribbean, which is were they are from originally, people didn't wear nor could they afford diamonds so unfortunately it cannot be put towards the upgrade. About 6 years ago my parents both upgraded their original wedding bands to diamond bands so my dad finally wants to get an engagement ring that matches her current wedding band. My parents don't know much about the cost of diamonds so if my mom really wants a 2ct ring then my dad will have to come up in price, I wanted to at least show them some more affordable options before we went that route.

Thanks!

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Any chance your mom might be open to warmer, OEC round diamonds? Jewels by Grace has a few 2 ct diamonds for <$10k but warmer stones and older cuts are definitely more of a personal preference thing so you'd want to be sure she was okay with it.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-05ct-old-european-cut-p-q-si2-i1.html#.VI6gyqTF_dc
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-04ct-old-europen-cut-diamond.html#.VI6g3KTF_dc
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-25ct-old-european-cut-diamond-uncerted-est-to-be-n-o-vs.html#.VI6g5qTF_dc

Gold_Esq

Rough_Rock
tmot14|1418633621|3801353 said:
Any chance your mom might be open to warmer, OEC round diamonds? Jewels by Grace has a few 2 ct diamonds for <$10k but warmer stones and older cuts are definitely more of a personal preference thing so you'd want to be sure she was okay with it.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-05ct-old-european-cut-p-q-si2-i1.html#.VI6gyqTF_dc
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-04ct-old-europen-cut-diamond.html#.VI6g3KTF_dc
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-25ct-old-european-cut-diamond-uncerted-est-to-be-n-o-vs.html#.VI6g5qTF_dc

Thank you Tmot14, I will forward these to her.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gold_Esq,

If your mother prefers the G-J colourless range, there are three ACA brand diamonds at WF that are just under $10,000 in the 1.4 ct to 1.48 ct range. My understanding is that an ideal cut diamond, such as ACA, can appear larger than a less well-cut diamond of the same size. There is definitely a size difference between a diamond of almost 1.5 ct and something closer to 2 cts, but its another option depending on your mother's preferences regarding colour.

Have you seen the following website? It can be helpful in considering various diamond sizes.

http://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.4ct-round-vs-2ct-round-8.19x8.19x4.94/

Gold_Esq

Rough_Rock
december-fire|1418687751|3801785 said:
Hi Gold_Esq,

If your mother prefers the G-J colourless range, there are three ACA brand diamonds at WF that are just under $10,000 in the 1.4 ct to 1.48 ct range. My understanding is that an ideal cut diamond, such as ACA, can appear larger than a less well-cut diamond of the same size. There is definitely a size difference between a diamond of almost 1.5 ct and something closer to 2 cts, but its another option depending on your mother's preferences regarding colour.

Have you seen the following website? It can be helpful in considering various diamond sizes.

http://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.4ct-round-vs-2ct-round-8.19x8.19x4.94/

Thank you so much! I was actually searching for the link to that website but could not find it. I will look on whiteflash and also have my mom visit the posted link so that she can compare sizes :)

Gold_Esq

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I wanted to post an update with the ring my mom ended up getting. The setting and the diamond are from Ritani, it is a 1.5ct GIA graded L colored diamond, VS2 clarity, strong blue fluorescence, excellent cut & polish, vg symmetry, and a 1.4 HCA score. The diamond shows up pretty white and the strong blue fluorescence does not negatively impact the diamond at all. It reflects light beautifully, even in very low light :love: ! Total my dad paid around $6700 for the diamond and setting and my mom is very pleased with her ring. Thank you for all of your help!

For reference this is my hand, but my mom and I both wear a size 5 ring.

_26349.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gold_Esq|1422042029|3820981 said:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to post an update with the ring my mom ended up getting. The setting and the diamond are from Ritani, it is a 1.5ct GIA graded L colored diamond, VS2 clarity, strong blue fluorescence, excellent cut & polish, vg symmetry, and a 1.4 HCA score. The diamond shows up pretty white and the strong blue fluorescence does not negatively impact the diamond at all. It reflects light beautifully, even in very low light :love: ! Total my dad paid around $6700 for the diamond and setting and my mom is very pleased with her ring. Thank you for all of your help!

For reference this is my hand, but my mom and I both wear a size 5 ring.

Oh well done! Beautiful handshot!! :love: Thanks for coming back--and sharing!!

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Congratulations to your mom and dad on their 28th anniversary. And best of luck to you with your upcoming engagement! Make sure to come back with your story and pics. :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, very well done! It looks great on her hand and a great price too!

Edit - oops, your hand!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to your parents on their anniversary!

What a beautiful diamond and setting! Great job! Thanks for returning to post a picture of this lovely ring. :appl:

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous ring! That is so sweet that your Dad wanted to give your mother something so special to celebrate their years together. Thanks for sharing with us.

Gold_Esq

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone! I am glad that my parents completely trusted me in this entire process to find a beautiful diamond and setting.

I will make sure to post when I get engaged which will hopefully happen sometime soon! :pray:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results