shape
carat
color
clarity

help with custom marquise settings?

flurrsprite

Rough_Rock
good morning ps-ers!

i''ve been lurking around here digging up information for a couple weeks now :) so informative, you guys are amazing!! i am hoping to get your advice on my own future precious e-ring...

wee bit of a back story, i hope you''ll all bear with me!

fi and i have been talking about getting engaged for a while now, and i started looking up rings to get an idea back at the beginning of the year. we had planned on picking out a ring (together -- fi knows that since i don''t wear much jewelry i''d want a say in what i''d be wearing haha!) around this time but he''s in the movie industry and there''s been a bit of a delay between gigs so we''re holding off until there''s a bit more security! also, that means that i''m not too keen on spending too much on my ring (after all, i can always upgrade later right?), so our current budget is somewhere around $3k ($2k, if i had my way.. but my tastes seem to have risen exponentially since i''ve found pricescope and all of the delicious rings to drool over!).

i fell in love with marquise stones, but to my dismay, i haven''t found much variety in setting styles for that shape. most marquise settings seem to be very simple and plain or very ornate in a blocky angled sort of way. both are beautiful but i''m hoping to have something with a little more delicacy and something... swirly!

i did see this beautiful ring (http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/MAchickside1.jpg) but i''m hoping for a um north-south? alignment, rather than east-west.

(i should note that i discovered this cushion ring (http://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/2-05-cushion-avc-gog-in-jbeg-setting-t144146.html) which makes my heart skip every time i see it... so i went and studied up on cushion stones and then took a trip out to singlestone (i live in l.a.) to see some antique cushions in person and they''re even better than pictures... however, my budget would only allow for mayyyybe the stone itself, and i think i''ve decided that i want a nice setting as well instead of going the get-the-great-stone-and-plain-setting route... after all, i''ll mention that whole upgrade idea again...
31.gif
haha! so i''ve decided that for the time being, a marquise is the way to go)

so! i''ve looked up sites that seem to work with custom designs, and i''ve been trying to come up with a design based off of round/cushion/princess cut designs that i''ve seen into a marquise shape, such as these beauties:
http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/jbeg_signature_settings__custom_design (that sophie... le sigh
30.gif
)
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/styles/solitaire/santorini-engagement-ring_1413.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/styles/solitaire/swan-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche_1421.htm#

i''m going to attempt to attach a picture of a sketch that i made up... sorry for the poor quality and i hope you can decipher it! basically, the point of the marquise would have a prong that''s leaf-shaped, and the sides would be swirls.. not sure if this is possible, but hey! and the band could either be plain or with the pave where the metal looks like it''s scooped out so you can see the diamonds through the sides? like that cushion ring above :) i suppose that would all depend on what it ends up costing!

which is one of my questions... based off of the prices of those similar rings that i listed, should i be figuring the design i drew up would be around there? or would it be much more due to it being a custom design? would it be better to point out one of those designs above and ask the person i''m working with to adapt it for a marquise? does anybody have any suggestions for where to go for that kind of custom ring? should i try online or would it be better to go to a brick-and-mortar store?

also, i''m under the impression that for me anyway, picking the marquise stone will be an emotional process rather than...numerical. i''m not too worried about inclusions (character!) and my only concern with color is that if i end up with a pave band that those diamonds match the center (does it seem odd when the center stone is yellow but the pave diamonds are not?). due to this thinking process, i was planning on hunting around here in los angeles and picking a stone i could see in person... however, i have noticed that many sites online will show pictures and even videos. does anybody know of particular sites that are great for marquise stones (like how gog/erd/jbeg are good for cushions)? or if i should stick with the brick-and-mortar route, a good store in los angeles? i''ve walked into a few and i tend to get crazy looks when i say i''m looking for a marquise engagement ring... even had one girl tell me that that''s a bad idea and i should only get it for a fashion ring... eesh! but they all say they can pull some in so i can take a look... i just don''t know how i could trust their opinions after the scoffing! i also figured that if i got the stone at the same place as the setting, maybe it''d be easier / i''d get a deal?
25.gif

i do know that i would like my diamond to be somewhere around .50 carats
1.gif
it''s great how it looks so much larger than other shapes! i''ve done some basic recon online and it looks like i can get a decent marquise for around $1000... which would leave $1500-2000 for the setting... would this be unreasonable, considering the style that i want?

i''m looking forward to your replies!! thank you so much for reading through all of that if you did. i really appreciate it!

~maiko

flurrspriteringdesign01.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
James Allen usually would be my pick for marquise...

www.jamesallen.com

Edit - here are a few I think are pretty (just from looking at the pictures)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Premium-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1163121.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1256925.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1256815.asp

With .50 stones I'm not sure how much detail you are going to get in the basket area. I cant help thinking that you might
get a better deal on a marquise in the resell market (especially if you dont mind a few character marks). If it were me
I think I would be checking out pawn shops (but thats me
3.gif
).

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Personally - I''d contact GOG or ssome other vendor who would be willing to give you some kind of upgrade potential and has access to really nice antique style cushions since this sounds like your dream diamond. They may not give you 100% back on a marquise, but it is worth asking. Most pricescope vendors can work with you to source a stone that fits your desires and budget. So I''d start by contacting a few respected ones and telling they what you are looking for now and what your ultimate goal may be in the future. See what you find. With fancies, I wouldn''t just assume that the ones they have listed on their site are all they can provide. I''m not a huge fan of B&M stores as the ones I''ve visted have much higher markups and very limited upgrade potential.

As for the setting it really depends where you go. I think you''ll need to find the stone first to be able to get accurate quotes from various vendors. They''ll need to know stone shape and dimensions to get you an estimate and to start building ideas for you. The price will depend on a few factors - the complexity of the design, the metal it is made in, the accent stones and most importantly who designs it. You have a lot of options here too. Once you have a stone, I''d contact a few custome designers and give them your wish list and budget and see what you get back.

Good luck!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
have you seen merilenda''s ring? she got a smaller version of the cushion ring you listed and I believe hers was around 3k!!! There are pictures of it in the Ladies in Waiting forum...if that is your dream ring I would get that instead of the marquise!

flurrsprite

Rough_Rock
@tyty333: ooh yes, james allen is one of the ones i was talking about, with the pictures! i like the little "loupe" feature
4.gif

hmm, i was wondering that about the .50 size... most of the lovelies on ps tend to be much larger! i suppose that''s something i''d need to discuss with the designer? and i did actually talk to fi about antique/vintage/pawn shop diamonds... he didn''t seem to keen on it haha! i guess it kind of spooks him, the thought of owning someone else''s diamond (ghosts...?)
28.gif
he wants me to "have my own". however, i will still keep that in mind! thanks for the tips!

@jax172: good point, it won''t hurt to ask and check to see what could be available to me! i''ve just done a little bit of looking around at antique cushions and they seem to be pricier for the spread than marquise styles, but perhaps if i called in and spoke to someone i can get more information. thank you!

@slg47: oh! i did not see her ring! and less than 3k??? i''m so excited! i''ll definitely have to call gog... although i did read in one of her threads that they told her they weren''t planning on cutting any avc under 1ct any time soon.. i guess i''ll just have to ask and hope for the best :) thanks for pointing that out!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
not sure that it was less than 3k but I think I remember reading it was right around the 3k mark...I also read they are not getting any smaller AVCs in for a while but it doesn''t hurt to call and ask!

flurrsprite

Rough_Rock
that''s true, i don''t think i need a large stone anyway (i''m a size 3.75... 4 to be safe! so i think a smaller diamond will be just fine), so i can always ask and then if it doesn''t look like it''ll be possible, i can go back to my original plan and get a marquise! they''re both quite beautiful
1.gif

jenbuggy85

Rough_Rock
My friend found a .50ct Marquise at the pawnshop. I tried it on my size 4 finger. It was very pretty! And large looking! I'm not a fan of that cut though. She's actually got it on hold for when she comes back home from visiting family.

The price is $300. Thats with a large gold band and a plat head mount. I would really consider taking a look around the pawnshops. My first wedding set came from there...and now I have a new one I just bought from...the pawnshop! Here's a pic!

It's a 1.02ct emerald cut. It also came with 2 eternity bands. I paid $1500 for ALL of it. :)

Fudge... I can't EVER upload a dagone pic on this site! Err!

Search "Pawnshop" on Rocky talky if ya wanna see it :p

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are still interested in cushions, BGD has a couple of small ones (.61) for a little over a grand.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-7894308
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-7893803

Jax172 just had a ring made with a .61 K colored BGD cushion. Very pretty!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-cushion-3-stone-ring-updated-pics.144248/

A cushion would be lovely in that JBEG setting.

EDIT
Here is a cushion (not an august vintage though) for around $1600.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5700/

slg47

Ideal_Rock
tyty I was going to link that cushion! It''s not an AVC but to me it has the vintage look...

and here is the setting merilenda got for only $850...setting

slg47

Ideal_Rock
GOG also has an AVC for 2453 which would put you just over budget...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2010 3:20:47 PM
Author: slg47
tyty I was going to link that cushion! It''s not an AVC but to me it has the vintage look...

and here is the setting merilenda got for only $850...setting
Yep, I agree...its not going to have the light return of an AVC but it certainly seemed to hold its own in the video.

flurrsprite

Rough_Rock
@jenbuggy85: wow, that''s a great price! i''ll check out the local jewelry marts as well... do pawnshop rings/diamonds come with paperwork?

@tyty333: ooh, thanks for the links! i don''t have to have an avc or anything, but i do like the chunky look of the antique cushions with the tall crowns
1.gif
maybe if i showed the vendors pictures of those older looks, that might help them pick something out that''s similar? (and i agree... the jbeg setting would be amazing! i hope it would work for a smaller cushion...) although Jax172''s ring is beautiful! i don''t normally like big sidestones but that''s lovely.

@slg47: thanks, i do like how it has pave and is still affordable! although i think i''d rather have the prongs be prettier and nix the pave than the other way around... i''ll hafta see if they have anything like that in case i can''t get that jbeg setting
2.gif
oh and the avc for $2400 isn''t bad, although maybe i could mention to them that i''d loooove it if there was something for a bit less! haha! either that or we''ll have to do a lot more saving up!

you guys have been so helpful, thank you
9.gif

nosirrah

Rough_Rock
Hi flurr. Thanks for the kind words and I''m sure yours is going to turn out lovely as well! Singlestone is a fun place to draw up inspiration. The gog cushion, that someone suggested, is looking great for the price. Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing how everything works out for you!

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The only "issue" that I see with the GOG stone that''s linked in this post is that it only has the limited guarantee, which I believe means you couldn''t upgrade it later. I have a non-AVC chunky cushion from GOG that I love, and I almost bought one with the limited guarantee until someone at GOG mentioned that to me. Not that I have immediate upgrade plans, but you never know...
31.gif

flurrsprite

Rough_Rock
@nosirrah: thanks, i hope it does too! i adore your ring
16.gif
we''ll see what mine turns out like, if i decide to try for the jbeg setting or end up creating my own!

@MonkeysInk: haha hey, upgrading policies are good to know!
31.gif
and i figure if i talk to gog and they suggest one of their non-avc cushions then i can trust their opinion, right?

did anyone else ever flip-flop between diamond shapes like this? i tried to show fi some images and some of those gog videos to get his opinions and he just gave me the crazy eye haha! i think he''s just happy that i''m so excited about this
4.gif
plus it probably doesn''t hurt that he doesn''t feel the need to do the research since i''m doing all of it. he''s a little concerned about making the proposal a surprise, so i told him that maybe once we''ve got everything decided and have talked with the vendor(s), then for the actual making/shipment of the ring etc i''ll step down and he can take care of that! did anyone else do something similar to my current plan?

nosirrah

Rough_Rock
@flurr - Love the sketches, I can totally visualize it! I''m curious how they''ll turn out...but i''m sure, either way you choose it''s going to look lovely.

With what someone mentioned, if you can spring for the $2,453 avc it may be worth it. True that diamonds are not the best investment, but putting in the extra money so that you can have upgrade or a higher reselling value may be worth it. Plus you get better optics out of it too.

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
Flurr--i haven''t looked through everyone''s responses, but have you thought about buying the biggest stone you can afford with a plain setting and having a setting made for the stone once money isn''t an issue? It would be a shame if you decided you wanted something bigger a few years from now that would necessitate you starting from scratch. There''s an gorgeous .83 AVC for $2,500...

jenbuggy85

Rough_Rock
"jenbuggy85: wow, that''s a great price! i''ll check out the local jewelry marts as well... do pawnshop rings/diamonds come with paperwork?"

I would assume some do. I could see whomever selling their ring to the pawnshop getting more money by having paper work for it. But I''m not sure.

My ring was actually certified already. The pawnshop had no idea. They didn''t see the "code number" written on the band or the diamond. It was cert by IGI. From here I heard it''s not that great of a company, but still, it has certs. All I have to do to get them is call the company. I think it''s $25 to have the paper work sent to me. It''s free to check it out online though.

I went up there today again actually. She has the most beautiful 1ct or a little over RB solitaire. All that "hearts and arrows" talk I keep reading on here..that stone totally had it! She wants $1900 for it (there''s LOTS of haggle room though!)...someone needs to get it before I do!!! LOL!!

You gotta check those shops! :)

flurrsprite

Rough_Rock
@nosirrah - awww, thank you! i hope whatever i get turns out as beautiful as your ring!! actually, now i''m curious... i''ve been trying to figure out the pros and cons of getting the diamond and setting in one place vs using different vendors, especially online. how do warranties get affected with your ring? do you just have insurance and that''s that? what about getting it checked every 6 months etc? do you send it in to one of your vendors or do you just go to a local jeweler? thank you for your help!

@ms.halo - yep, i''ve thought about it, and it may be the way to go... but i would so much like to have a pretty setting as well :) i also figure that if i upgrade in any way i''d end up changing either the stone or the setting or both, in which case as long as i have a plan where i can trade in then that''s what i should aim for, right?

@jenbuggy85 - ooh, handy! i do like the idea of having a stone that''s engraved with the cert number! hmm, do pawn shops sell just stones themselves, not just complete rings? i wonder if i should look into that as well...

my other concern is i''m still trying to decide between having a palladium, pd/wg, or white gold band! such a dilemma... it sounds like most ps vendors work with palladium, is that correct? i had a b&m vendor tell me that he only worked with palladium for plain wedding bands, because it was too porous and didn''t work with intricate details... any thoughts to the validity of that statement?

thank you all!

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
To respond to your question about trusting GOG about a non-AVC cushion: their pictures online are just fantastic, and based on my limited experience, extremely accurate. I had it narrowed down to a couple of stones, so I called the store. They pulled the stones, gave me a great commentary on the differences and sent some side-by-side pictures. Seriously, the experience couldn''t have been better.

I looked through the stones that they have in your price range and I''m not seeing any that have the lifetime guarantee that meet the chunky facet criteria. Hopefully some will pop on there soon.

jenbuggy85

Rough_Rock
"@jenbuggy85 - ooh, handy! i do like the idea of having a stone that''s engraved with the cert number! hmm, do pawn shops sell just stones themselves, not just complete rings? i wonder if i should look into that as well..."

The pawnshop I went to does. When they want to make a little extra cash, they take the stones out of some of the heavier gold rings and sell the gold for scrap to a gold place. The diamonds are then put out to sell alone. I actually saw a lady buy one of her RB''s last time I was in there. :)

flurrsprite

Rough_Rock
@MonkeysInk: that''s awesome, i do feel like i could trust their commentary and for them to take pictures (and maybe video?) of the diamonds so i can get a better idea of what they''re like. i think i might need to take a whirl around some b&m stores just to get a better idea of what it is that i specifically like about the cut etc so that i can better pic without seeing them directly in front of me
1.gif
and even if they don''t have the stones listed on their website, i can probably call and tell them what i''m looking for and see if they know of anything, right?

@jenbuggy85: nice! i did mention to fi yesterday about going by pawn shops and he didn''t seem too keen on the idea hahaha. i think he''s got it into his head that he wants me to have my own original diamond... although if someone trades in a diamond, it just goes back out on the market, doesn''t it? ;
20.gif
silly boys, hmm hmm! i think he''s more concerned about having a store and warranty that''ll back up the ring, which is why he''s still more inclined towards a b&m store that we can take to get the ring cleaned at etc. maybe i''ll go by myself and take a look, see what''s out there! hey, if nothing else, rhr?
31.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results