shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on Ering size and color

missviolin

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I recently got my ering and I love it. It is 1.19 F vs1 and it''s beautiful. Today I found out that I can exchange it for a 1.42 H VV1 at tiffanys. Same exact price. I wasn''t looking but the same SL who sold it to my FI was there. My ring size is a 7 3/4 and I feel like the bigger H looked better on my fat fingers than the smaller very white F. WIll it make that much of a diff sizewise and color wise? I will never upgrade so this is it for me. I just fell in love with the bigger one. I''m tinking because I have large fingers the bigger one will look better?
Thank you all in advance! I have until the 27th to decide and figure out how to tt the FI. He loves the F and so do I but....

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I am reading correctly, you have seen the larger H diamond? And you loved it?

Question answered!
1.gif
I would get the bigger rock in a heartbeat.

missviolin

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding. Yes, I saw it yesterday. It''s very beautiful and I couldn''t tell the diff in the H from the F in the tff lights but then - they are the tiff lights and they don''t let you take it outside to look under sunlight...
Botton line FI spent 19.5k on the 1.19 F VS1 and I do want to get the best for the money but I really worry that the 1.19 looks smallish on me. Will a 1.42 H vvs2 look like lesser quality? Will I be downgrading harshly just to get it a little bigger? I''ve heard from friends that tiffany grades low so an H might really be a G or F to many people...is that true?
My FI is hurt that I even brought this up! I feel like a giant turd but this is the only beautiful diamond I will ever own and I feel like I should go bigger since they will both be great diamonds...I am so confused! I wish I had never looked!

I''m trying to figure out how to minimize a iphone photo to post so you can see...

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
No..... It'll look great. Even if it is an H, it is still near colorless and you probably couldn't tell any or much of a difference from the F unless you had them both together.

Get the Biggun!!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, if you already feel that the 1.19 may be a tad small then I would definitly upgrade to the 1.42. Go to another jeweler (Jareds
Peerless) and view their H color stones. See if they will let you walk it outside. On PS G/H color stones are very common. They are
still very white but give you more bang for your buck. I have 7.25 fingers and I would definitly make that trade off.

Tell your FI that you love the 1.19 F but you are appear to NOT be color sensitive and you would rather have the 1.42 for better
finger coverage (tell him its the fault of your fat fingers...I have 7.25 so I''m not making fun of you!) You might also suggest that
its better to do this now then 5 years down the road. Also tell him that fingers swell and get fatter when you are pregnant.
(just trying to give you some ideas).

Good luck!

missviolin

Rough_Rock
Thank you! What about the vvs2 vs the vs1 in an H? To mee the vvs2 looks like an upgrade from the vs1 (got that from reading) --do I have that right? Some places say that vvs2 is a dwongrade from vs1? Im confused.
The H is tiffanys so how bad can it be? I really think it looked better on my finger but this F shines like crazy and looks icy which is the only thing that makes it stand out on my finger. Am I just going for bling size?? I''m so new at this and I''m trying to learn as much in 2 days as possible. The H is almost a quarter larger...! Arghhh! I really wish I had never gone to the T store yesterday..

missviolin

Rough_Rock
Hopefully - here is a pic. Please let me know what you think of the size on my finger. The truth! My FI loves this one and SL aid he was intent on getting the most perfect stone possible for his budget so this is why he got the F. She said he wanted the best for me and I love it. a quarter size bigger was the deal maker for me. Am I crazy????

Photo 396.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would go up in size for sure given your ring size. If you can''t tell the difference between an F and an H .. why not?

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
go with the bigger one. an H is a very white stone and Tiffany is extremely good quality. you are not trading in quality just characteristics. i have large hands too and i would rather a larger stone.

missviolin

Rough_Rock
That''s how I''m leaning. I hope the FI is ok once he see''s it. He thinks the 1.19 is damaged goods in my eyes and he picked it especially for me...BUT, I''m the one wearing it right?
I''ve decided to go to a small store in B-heights and look at their Hs. It''s a fancy-ish looking privately owned jewelry store in an expensive neighborhood so they likely have good quality. They won''t have the magic tiff lights and they have huge windows so maybe i can get a better look. I love mine I just wish it were a smidgen larger. I really dont care about the super white color - I just want it to be really beautiful and stand out when I look at my hand.

chicky monkey

Shiny_Rock
Yes, to get into a bigger stone that I couldn''t see a difference in would be a no brainer for me!

I know some people are very color sensitive, but I can''t see a difference and I have a 1 ct I/J stone and it looks white as can be to me anyway! Sparkles like crazy!

I think you''ll be happy with the bigger stone.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think yours looks good but if you would be happier with the bigger one then I would get it (assuming your FI is OK with it!) Definitely try to look at some H colors in different lighting, most jewelry stores have the ''magic'' lighting so see if they will let you take it by a window or outside.

but I would go with the H unless you are super color sensitive

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Color wise, F to H, hard to notice.
Size wise, 1.19 to 1.42, I would see the difference.

Congrats on your engagement!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I'd be concerned about hurting his feelings, but you know him best and if you think he'll be okay with this in the long run (and not bring it up during every argument you have in the future!), I'd say exchange it now if you are concerned it's too small. ETA: I've been in this situation myself, so I don't want to belittle your feelings about the diamond feeling too small for your taste. My first diamond was a .53 carat set in a solitaire and I thought it looked way too small and dainty for my hand, so within three weeks I upgraded to a 1 carat stone and had it set in a halo!

Another idea -- I have the same size fingers as you do and I have a very hard time wearing solitaires. They look tiny on my hands. Perhaps you could keep the 1.19 and have it reset into a three-stone or a halo setting? That would cost more money, of course, but if you are concerned about hurting his feelings, a different setting would allow you to get more finger coverage and allow him to save face.

Still another idea -- have you tried on wedding bands with this ring? If not, take some time to do that before you make a final decision to trade in your current diamond and setting. I think you will find that pairing a diamond wedding band with your solitaire ( a five or seven stone band) will balance the look of the ring on your finger. I wear a halo now, but if I ever go back to a solitaire setting, I most certainly will pair the solitaire with a blingy five or seven stone WB. I really like the look and think it flatters women who have "larger" fingers. Your fiance may feel better about this option, and I think you might find that a blingy wedding band or eternity is a nice thing to have because they look great on their own, too.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats MissViolin!

If you saw the Bigger one and its the same price and you will smack yourself if you DONT make the exchange then I say Horray! Bigger is better! I''m with the majority on this. H is near colorless AND you can SEE the size difference.
2.gif

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely go for the bigger one.
1. You are already thinking your current ring may be small.
2. You are not planning on upgrading after this.
Your ring is gorgeous already. But bigger would be better.
31.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is not a downgrade in any way in my opinion, get the bigger one now while you can!

And wow, I am always really surprised by Tiffany prices
6.gif

missviolin

Rough_Rock
Decision made! Tomorrow I take this one in and they will send the other one to be sized. I can pick it up on monday. I''ll post another picture after I get it. I''m excited and I feel like I am doing the smart thing. My FI is ok. I think he thought about it some more.
You guys are awesome. I love this board!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results