shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with my dilemma - need opinions on what to do...

quintilis

Rough_Rock
I've been working with James Meyer on a RHR project where he's been looking for a cushion cut diamond to be set in one of his platform styles.

He found a stone lately that he thinks would be a good choice, but the pricing option for the stone is very close to a stone had previously told me about (about a $170 difference between the smaller and larger stone), so now I'm torn...

Here are my options:

Option #1:

0.77 ct
Cushion Sq. Modified Brilliant
6.07x5.55x3.39
Depth: 58.3
Table: 51
Crown: 17.4
Pavillion: 35.6
Girdle: Very Thin to Thick
Culet: Large
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: SI1
Color: H
No Fluorescence

Option #2:

1.01ct
Old Mine Brilliant
6.07x5.94x4.15mm
Depth: 69.9
Table: 48
Crown: 18
Pavillion: 45.6
Girdle: Very thin to sl. thick faceted
Culet: Large
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Color: L
No Fluorescence

Option #2 is already set, so I cannot customize the setting, but the setting is one that I like.

Some of my issues are: my budget is not very high, and I don't want to spend more than $4700 maximum. My initial budget was $4000-$4300 total for the setting and stone, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to stick to that budget. These two stones with the settings will hit within the $4600-$4750 mark.
Would you be concerned about the colour of the second option? I personally have not been able to see many warmer stones in real life so it's hard for me to determine what my preferences are in the color department. However, it does look very nice in JM's pictures and I trust him to find good stones. How about the clarity of option 1?
The price difference between the final price of each is about $170, so should I just go for the larger stone if the warmth is OK with me? Or should I ask him to keep looking?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you love either option? personally I think I like the finished ring the best but it's hard to tell if that's because it's a finished piece...also do you have a head-on view of the first ring?

quintilis

Rough_Rock
I think I'll love either option but I'm sort of just wondering what's the better bang for my buck. I initially ruled out the finished piece when he first sent it to me because I was hoping to get a more detailed setting, but per his recommendations he needs a bigger stone to really work all the details in, so I went back to the simpler setting idea.

I should ask him for other pictures of the finished piece, I only have a couple pictures. I would like to see it head on and maybe in different light since I'd be purchasing without seeing it in real life (I'm west coast and can't go out to see it IRL). I think my main concern is the colour of the stone in the finished piece, but I'd also like opinions on the stats of the stones - which is technically better...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results