shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide between rose gold halo or white gold!!

Tahneebrown

Rough_Rock
Ok, I am getting my new 1.79 carat J sI1 diamond set. I am in Love with Katie Holmes setting! It's a split shank band with a rose gold halo. Here is the problem...my jeweler thinks that if we set it in a rose gold halo it will make my stone look yellow :(( anyone have problems with this?? I need advice. I love the rose gold, but will I regret it later? Is it too trendy right now? Should I just stick with all white? Ugh! I just can't decide!!! Help please ;))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think that rose gold is trendy. It is classic. As for how it will make your J stone appear is another question. Can you wait til you have the stone in your hands and go look at it in both rose gold and white gold settings and see what you think? Make sure you take the stone/setting outside into natural light, not just store lighting, as it will appear different in multiple types of lighting. Good luck and please post pics when you can!

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
I have the basket of my setting in rose gold and it is a J. I don't think that it makes it look yellow at all. I don't currently have my ring because the band is being made for it. If I get it back before you decide I will post a good picture as the ones I have were are cell phone pictures.

Tahneebrown

Rough_Rock
I don't have the stone, it's with David klass in Beverly hills. I'm just so hell bent on the rose gold halo! I just don't see why it would effect the color?! The stone is a J but it's so sparkly and faces up pretty white caz the cut is so good. I would live to see pics!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will you get a chance to see the stone in person at a jewellers site? If yes, can you ask them to show you the stone beside the different colours, so you can judge if any colour difference that you note? perhaps they can place the stone in different semi mounts/settings for you to observe and decide to YOUR eye, if you are pleased or not with the effect.

Or...
could you set your stone with pink melee instead of white?? Just a thought...

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm having the same debate but with an H color Emerald cut! I say if you really want it--go for it! Worse case scenario is that you can have it rhodium plated if you don't like the rose gold.

... also post pics when you get it to help a girl out hehe :wink2:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are two ways of thinking of body tint.

One is to think of it in subjective terms. Does a stone "look yellow"? This is what I think some of the previous posters are answering, providing their subjective impression of whether their own diamond seems yellow to them. We can't tell you, though, if your own diamond will seem yellow or not to you in whatever setting you choose. That is a very personal and experienctial thing.

But, another way to think of body tint is to ask, how will the diamond tint appear compared to the loose stone? Using that as a point of reference, in my experience, a J colored diamond will look more tinted if it has a halo of smaller diamonds because of the contrast between the larger stone and the surrounding melee -- which handle light differently and thus always read "white" to the eye regardless of their body color. Also, in my experience, a diamond looks more tinted set into yellow metal and I suspect a similar effect occurs with pink metal. Again, compared to how the same stone would look loose. Now, will these changes -- the contrast effect with the halo and the added reflecting tint of pink metal -- cause you to *subjectively* perceive your own stone to be "yellow"? And will you dislike the appearance? Can't say. Only experience can tell you. Not much help, eh? ;))

Tahneebrown

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help ladies! I just emailed my jeweler and asked if there is any way he could take pics next to rise gold for me. It's just a super light rose gold so I just don't see how it could really look that different caz the rise gold will be barely a tiny of pink. Ugh I hate decisions like this! I've changed my mind like 18 times! Lol

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Photos won't help, or at least, shoud not be used to make a decision. YOu can't just color from pictures. To me, the halo of diamonds will be MUCH more impactful on the perceived color than the metal choice. If you are set on a halo, get the rose gold you want.

Tahneebrown

Rough_Rock
I'm am 100% set on the halo. If I wasn't on my phone I would post a pic of myths Katie Holmes ring I want duplicated. Just a pear instead of the oval. To me my stone looks no different to me when I put it next to a g diamond, so I guess I'm not very color sensitive. But I don't want it to take away from he brilliance of my stone either

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Then just get the metal color you want. I know the style you like, I know her ring. The rose gold will have little or no effect compared to a halo. If the jeweler is good there should be very little metal anyway. You could also have the basket/undegallery.prongs done in white metal and only the halo with the diamond in pink gold. But that might only work if the ring is hand forged, not sure it can easily be done with cast.

Tahneebrown

Rough_Rock
makhro82|1331579270|3147037 said:
I have the basket of my setting in rose gold and it is a J. I don't think that it makes it look yellow at all. I don't currently have my ring because the band is being made for it. If I get it back before you decide I will post a good picture as the ones I have were are cell phone pictures.
Can I see ur cell pics?? ;))))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty sure Katie Holmes' diamond is pink and that is why she has a pink halo! But I think if that is what you want, go for it! The great thing is, if you ever change your mind, you can always rhodium plate it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds really pretty - but then again, I'm a sucker for rose gold with diamonds. Frankly, it sounds like you need to do this; if you don't, and you don't like it, you'll have major regrets. If you do it and it bothers you, as another poster said, you can always rhodium plate it (but I think you will love it).

Good luck and we must have photos and hand shots :naughty:

Tahneebrown

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1331601690|3147309 said:
It sounds really pretty - but then again, I'm a sucker for rose gold with diamonds. Frankly, it sounds like you need to do this; if you don't, and you don't like it, you'll have major regrets. If you do it and it bothers you, as another poster said, you can always rhodium plate it (but I think you will love it).

Good luck and we must have photos and hand shots :naughty:
I will definatly post pics when I get it! Right now I'm leaning towards rose gold, I think my jeweler wants to kill me! Lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink diamonds in rose gold halo or white diamonds?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Tahneebrown

Rough_Rock
That ring is beautiful! Ok, I just spoke with my jeweler. He is going to just do the halo around the stone is rose gold. We are going to keep the basket and prongs white gold and he is going to rhodium plate the inside to keep my stone nice and white! I'm SO excited! Can't wait to post pics :)))))

meg_

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1331668661|3147851 said:
Amys Bling|1331668369|3147844 said:
Tahneebrown said:
Yssie|1331665273|3147791 said:
Pink diamonds in rose gold halo or white diamonds?
White diamonds in a rose good halo
don't know if I've ever seen this combo before!

Here is an example, it looks awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lKKURtE_PI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLA577E55CE76C7459

I realize that this is an old thread - but holy gorgeous!

karaokeangelgirl

Rough_Rock
I picked out a two carat princess cut centerstone surrounded with pink diamonds and rose-gold. And yes, it sounds beautiful and is beautiful .... but after a year of looking at the rose-gold halo and deciding it looks more orangeish than pink ..... I am changing my ring. Has anyone else had this dilemna? And how impossible is it to find a halo now with just pink diamonds on white gold instead of rose gold. Rose gold is everywhere and had I not had it in my ring for a year, I would have probably gone with that again. But it definitely looks more orange than pink.

Trying hard to find pictures of halos with pink diamonds on white gold.

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
Is your setting 18K or 14K rose gold? I've read that 14K is pinker in colour. I have never seen a white gold halo with pink diamonds so I can't help you there. Good luck!

Benay

Rough_Rock
Here is a pick of my L colored diamond with SB fluorescence in 14K. Hope this helps!

image_1475.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results