shape
carat
color
clarity

help for Asscher in halo pave bezel setting : too expensive ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone !

This is my first post here and I''m very excited !

So, here''s my concern : I''m having a halo bezel setting made for a 0.51 Asscher It''s platinum, size 6.75. There are 16 x .02 ACA diamond in the halo, plus some more tiny diamonds on the shank as it is pave (see here). WF is asking 2,325.00 USD for this setting.

But I''m thinking maybe 6 princess-cut channel-set diamonds would be better on the shank (instead of the pave), 3 on each side of the halo. The reason is my fiance and I have been together for 7 years, so I thought 7 stones (with the Asscher) would be more meaningful. They are asking for 2,525.00 USD for this new setting. Don''t you think that''s expensive ?

I mean, I do not underestimate the work of the jeweler and I know there are 6 stones to be purchased, but they are only tiny stones since the center stone is only 0.51 and this is instead of the pave stones... So, does a 6 small princess-cut channel-set shank cost 200 USD more than a pave shank ?

This is my first experience is buying a diamond obviously, maybe I''m totally wrong to pay attention to that detail ? What do you think ?

I''m waiting for your advice...

Thanks for reading !

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most likely the price increase is labor related for the channel setting... and there might be a metal increase. Plus the stone weight increase.

Second. Pave, and asscher and PRINCESSES? Too much going on there. If you want 7 stones either do three small asschers on each side or three baguettes-- either three straight baguettes or one tapered and two straight on either side.

I''d totally nix the princesses.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wellll ... Facets is selling a ready-made version for $2500 here ... so seems like the price is about right??

Description: FACETS Engagement Ring Setting Platinum 10 Princess Cut & 18 Round Cut Diamonds, 0.61ct. tw. F-G color VVS-VS clarity Diamond Mounting $2507.00

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice !

As you may have noticed, I''m working on a budget : princesses are cheaper than asschers ! I thought you would not see the difference too much, since they are only side stones.

But you make sense, there is too much going on... I should stick to the pave shank.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Do the baguettes instead then. They cost less and are step cuts, like asschers. I wouldn't do princesses with an asscher personally.

ETA: FOr simplicity... I'd stick with the pave... and engrave something sweet about the 7 years in the band. JMO though.

That Facets setting is what you have in mind, and the price is right-- there are 10 princesses in that one though... . Again, I wouldnt' like an asscher for that setting... rather a radiant, but that's just my preference.

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
Thanks decodelighted ! I had not seen that !! I'm going to think about it too !

Seems like I was worrying for nothing at all. I know WF is recommanded by PS, so I should not have doubted !

Thanks again !

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, would you have a picture of an Asscher with baguettes, as you describe ?

I''m so not knowledgeable about diamonds (although I''ve been searching the website for a few weeks...), I''m a bit ashamed.

Thanks for your help !

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t mean to make you second guess yourself, But i would like to share something with you. I just returned a ring with a .72 asscher set with princess and pave. (.80 cttw band) For one, it was too busy! I had to go off pics in a book because they didn''t have any setting like that at the jeweler. Also, I LOVE asscher stones. They''re probably my favorite. However, in the setting a .72 asscher looked like a dull princess from a few feet away. Seeing the princess down the shank, I think it makes the eye assume there''s a princess in the middle. So, when the asscher is there (ideal cut) and not giving off that same sparkle, it just kind of faded away. I think an asscher has to be at least 1.25 carats to actually see that it''s an asscher from a distance. Since I don''t have the budget for that large of a stone, I''ve begun looking at radiant and cushion cuts. They offer a lot of carat weight for the same price. I was also able to expand my parameters because the radiant and cushion cuts hide more flaws. I really love the halo setting myself, but I wonder if a round or princess would give you the look you want overall?

Good Luck!

OOH! Look! Something Shiny!
30.gif

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
Waah, thanks for telling me that ! You must have felt so sorry to send it back...

I know a 0.51 Asscher is tiny, but I love Asschers ! And that''s why I wanted a halo... Though, if I can''t see it''s an Asscher on my finger...

Hum, I don''t know what to do with all those advices...

7.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
With that purchase I got really "stuck" myself. It took a couple weeks for me to decide if I could live with something I KNEW was an asscher even if others couldn''t really tell. My best friend made up my mind when she said, "Oh, your princess is a little flat(sparkle), isn''t it?" I was crushed! I''ve wanted an asscher for years. But, I''d rather wait a few more years for an asscher you can see than to settle for anything less. In fact just yesterday I took a two hour drive to some GOOD jewelers. I looked at lots of loose stones and settings. I saw a fantastical 3ct asscher set in a pave halo with a split paved shank! YOWZA! Of course it was tens of thousands of dollars out of my price range, but it''s always nice to have a dream. I really like the radiants and cushions, too. If you ONLY like asschers, you should probably stick with that stone shape. But, if you like more stone shapes, I would look around a bit more. Now, i know what I''m going to look for online.

OOH! Look! Something Shiny!
30.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really agree with what everyone else is saying ... I too fear that you might not be happy with the .51 asscher, and then have spent so much money on a setting specially crafted around it ... that cannot be returned.

Something about the proportions of a .50 stone with a halo is just "off" to me. They don''t make melee small *enough* to flatter a center of that size. JMHO.

I do have another suggestion though -- a bit outside the box. Have you seen the Tiffany Deco-style setting?? It''s a round center stone with channel set side asschers (or square emeralds or carre cuts -- opinions differ). That way you could have the larger face up appearance of a round (& maybe even a bigger carat weight one if you save on the halo custom setting) -- but you could satisfy the longing for asschers in side stones.

OR -- get the largest stone of whatever your 2nd fave shape is & put it in a simple solitare setting. Maximize the budget!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
Well, after a few minutes of thought, I think I could live with a princess-like asscher because I really lOVE it.

One carat asscher are gorgeous, but I don''t want something too shiny. I''m going to be a teacher, and I want my students to look at what I write, not at my hand
5.gif
I might get a big asscher one day (you''re right, it''s good to have a dream), but not at the moment...

Thanks for your help !

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 8:37:28 PM
Author: zouzou141
Well, after a few minutes of thought, I think I could live with a princess-like asscher because I really lOVE it.

One carat asscher are gorgeous, but I don''t want something too shiny. I''m going to be a teacher, and I want my students to look at what I write, not at my hand
5.gif
I might get a big asscher one day (you''re right, it''s good to have a dream), but not at the moment...

Thanks for your help !

If you don''t want something too shiny or distracting, a halo definitely isn''t the way to go.

Love the setting deco posted, or what about putting it into a setting with baguette sides, and then pairing it with a wedding band with 7 small asschers (to celebrate the 7 years before you were married)?

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
It seems like the link is not working...

How big an asscher can I get with 3000 USD total ?
Currently, it''s about 1000 for the stone and 2300 for the setting...

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
Sorry, it works now !

Hum, I thought a halo was a good choice because it is more resistant and protects the stone... Also, I feel like you can't catch the top of the ring in your sweater or anything, contrary to a solitaire...

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
Yes, I really like the Deco/Edwardian style of Tiffany''s !! Actually, my first pick would have been the Legacy but it''s a little too expensive and I prefer asscher over cushion. I''m fond of the bezel setting for its practibility.

Do you think I should loose the platinum setting (choose white gold) and pick a bigger stone ?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would ALWAYS pick the white gold in order to get a bigger stone.
20.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you should look at "bezel" settings ... they are available for any shape of stone ... you don''t need a diamond halo to protect the stone ... a metal bezel will wrap around the girdle for much less $. Well - maybe not MUCH less ...

I''m sure people will have suggestions for a 3K budget! (1K on a stone & 2K on a platinum pave setting would NOT be *my* suggestion!)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anything about the site. it''s not a PS vendor, but i''ve recently come across it in my travels. www.adiamor.com They have lots of settings to accomodate an asscher in your size. Like I said, I don''t know the quality (although I tried to start a thread about it) but you may get some more ideas on what would work. The site also has the ability to show a sample stone in the setting. Hope this helps!
36.gif

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
That might work... Tempting... Hum...

That''s too much information for my poor brain, I need to get away from the computer and think about what I really want ! I didn''t think I''d get all those answers, and your ideas are all excellent (I''d never thought about baguettes, but I like the idea...)

Thanks for your help !
36.gif

I promise I''ll let you know what I (hum, we) decided !

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2007 8:41:13 PM
Author: zouzou141
It seems like the link is not working...

How big an asscher can I get with 3000 USD total ?
Currently, it''s about 1000 for the stone and 2300 for the setting...
I would reverse my budget. Most settings come and go but the diamond stays. I''d do $2300 or as much as I can for the asscher, and $1K or less for the setting. White gold to max my diamond fund allotment.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen Lauren the Partier''s asscher? It is so beautiful, with a bezel setting--but not pave. I love it! I searched and found a good picture here--just roll down and there is a big picture. I think it would be great for a teacher and all the focus would be on the stone, not just the setting. And I would put more money in the stone rather than the setting, too.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-and-pictures.44508/

Hopw you don''t mind LaurenthePartier from HappyAnniversarytheWallflower!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
(heh, can't believe I've posted this two days in a row!)

Food for thought, my sister's generic asscher in a double bezel head. The ring size is 4.5, and the stone size is 5.39 x 5.38 x 3.66 (.87 carats). She wanted a bezel to outline the octagonal shape of the asscher--so it would be obvious it was an asscher and not a square, which prongs wouldn't be able to show in an asscher this small---and the extra bezel on the outside really made it look substantial.

fligringsm.jpg

Crop%20of%20IMGP0798.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly. I would put more money toward your center... and MUCH less toward the setting. If you want an asscher and don''t want anything too ridiculously blingy... just get an asscher on a plain thing setting like the legato. Or the legato pave. in 14K.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hest,
I love that asscher setting. I think it''s one of the few that I''ve adored and I remember it from way back then..

zouzou141

Rough_Rock
Hi guys ! Thanks again for all your posts !

I had a hard time deciding what I really wanted. But I finally took my decision... drum roll... : I'm keeping the 0.51 Asscher and the pave halo, but I'm going for an all platinum shank (with no side stones or pave) !! I'm so excited and happy (and Tracy at WF so relieved, I guess...
5.gif
) that I finally confirmed my order, I can hardly stay in place and I know the wait is going to be hard !!

There's why I chose so :
- I wanted a halo (for style, practibility and magnification of the center stone), platinum (resistance) and an Asscher (nothing else !!)
- our budget was 3k (we're a young couple, and anyway I would not have felt comfortable wearing something more expensive on my finger ! Maybe I'll change my mind about that in a few years...
2.gif
)
Getting a bigger stone (around 0.75) would have meant adding 1k for 0.5 millimeter per side on the diamond (5.03x5.01x3.46 mm instead of 4.55x4.54x3.01 mm)
- yet I wanted something not too obvious, but I don't like the simple bezel (just a metal rim) around the stone so I was sure about the pave halo
- going for a simple shank will add simplicity, plus my fiance and I finally decided to get the same wedding bands and he was not too much into pave !!
2.gif

Thanks again for your ideas and pictures ! I have to plagiarise : there is no place like Pricescope !!

I'll post pictures as soon as I get it (mid-August)!

Take care,

35.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a great choice! It''s similar to the setting Gypsy is considering for her own asscher -- if not identical!

Can''t wait to see it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LMAO. I was just going to offer my setting idea... and Quest (who had the best qoute for it in platinum by far) for consideration. Quest has my Power Point, feel free to contact them for it. Refer to this thread in the email, and they''ll know it''s okay to give it you. Ask for the Selene Setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you are looking at a plain shank halo setting. But this is an intriguing Beverly K setting I had in my files ( I just collect these things
20.gif
). It''s not on the Pearlman''s site (at least not last time I checked, but their site has been wonky), but he''s an authorized vendor... so you can contact him but I *think* that it''s around 1600 in 18K WG. It''s set with a princess. But I bet that it could be altered (I asked for my asscher and it was okay) for your asscher. It''s lovely and a deco like piece.

Intriguing Beverly K.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results