shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Can this setting hold a larger stone? Will lower quality diamond look bad with high quality si

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DallasGal1980

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have been looking at this website for the last year! We finally found a platinum Scott Kay setting we loved at Bailey Banks and Biddle for 70% off when they were going out of business. The only problem is that I was told it can only hold up to a 1.25 carat, round. I really want between a 1.5 and 1.7 but when we saw this setting, I thought I would be able to get over not being able to get a larger stone put in it, but I have not
7.gif

I'm worried that a 1.5-1.7 really won't fit in this setting and if the only option is to change the head, about how much will that cost and will it ruin the setting? Can the head even be changed? Can the prongs be lengthened to allow the diamond to sit up a little bit higher? I have no idea how prongs/heads are made ...

One other thing - The small diamonds in the setting are G color VS clarity ... If my center diamond is ideal cut, I color, SI1 - will my diamond look bad since it is lower quality than the side diamonds?

Please let me know your thoughts!!

The first picture is of the same setting with a CZ in the middle that I found on another website. Check out this link to the same ring as well. http://www.since1910.com/engagement-rings/scott-kay/scott-kay-45ct-pave-setting-sk-m1118rd10-set-260.aspx

MY Scott Kay.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best ask your jeweller.

I don't want to be prematurely disappointing, but with an integrated head like that the margins are going to be slimmer, and there's a big size difference in diametre and depth between an 1.2 and a 1.7, I don't think they're going to be able to do much.

ETA: as long as it's well cut I don't think an I is an issue. If it's eyeclean clarity is never an issue.

DallasGal1980

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response!

Just to clarify, do you think they won''t be able to do much with the current head or they won''t be able to change the head at all?

We will take it to a jeweler as soon as possible!

DallasGal1980

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response!

Just to clarify, do you think they won''t be able to do much with the current head or they won''t be able to change the head at all?

We will take it to a jeweler as soon as possible!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results