shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart-shaped - Who should I go to?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
I am in the search for a heart shaped diamond. Could someone please advise me who might have the largest fancy cut diamonds in their inventory. I have already consulted the Fancy Cut Chart, and it does appear that it''ll be very very difficult to get a 1A cut.
7.gif

Hope to get from replies soon.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Heart shaped diamonds are hard to find in general, nevermind the 1A cut grade. I''m not sure if any vendor carries a large supply of these stones, but they may be able to locate a stone for you. I''m sure any of the regular vendors like Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, James Allen, etc. will be happy to try and help you.

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply Coda72.

I hope to hear from the vendors soon. I am in no hurry and would want to wait till I find the one I like. My engagement ring apparently took my husband 3 months to find.
30.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I just ran a quick pricescope search for you, and possibly I was wrong about there not being many hearts. I don''t know what size you''re looking for and if you have a clarity and color in mind, but I did a search for AGA 1A, 1-1.5 carats, D-H color, IF-SI1 clarity and came up with 3 pages of diamonds. So, it may not be as hard as I thought to get a heart shaped diamond. If you know the size you want, you should be able to find something. Good luck.

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
Coda72,

How did you indicate the "1A" cut criteria, in your search selection? This is not available in the menu above.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be THIS

No need to specify a weight range only the AGA cut grade and shape.

Btw, about the AGA grades, it may make sense to look beyond 1A, just because those numbers do not say all there is to say about fancies and you might miss some nice options if restricting the initial search too much. This, assuming you will not buy sight unseen anyway.

The tutorial for the AGA tables seems to suggest this much by saying:

" In the beginning of March 2002 we finally announced the Ideal Cut and Premium Cut parameters for the major fancy shaped stones. These are our 1A and 1B grades. Fancy shapes from the grade of 2B and better frequently have a very fine look to them and may combine all the right attributes successfully. "

My 2c

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the link, Valeria101.

I am a little confused. I am looking at item # 1437138274395316292216641625, which is of D colour and IF clarity. From what I read, for a fancy cut to be graded 1A, it should have a Table between 55 - 60% and Depth 59 - 63%.

The Table for this one is 62% depth for this one is 53.1%. So, how did it get into the 1A Grade?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question...

I would think the forum administrators can sort that out - it looks like a search engine glitch to me. When I tried to repreat the experiment, the price link returned three diamonds to me - all not 1A and two of other weight than the interval.

There is more though: the AGA charts classify diamonds by table, depth and crown height - and that last thing is not on the lab reports. So even if the table and depth numbers did fall into the respective range... it may not turn out by the book.

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
OK - here''s an amatuerish question. Say, I find a seemingly suitable Heart. Will I be able to request for a Sarin report before purchase, and have a gemoloist evaluate the stone?

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/10/2005 4:53:13 AM
Author: mrssparkles
Will I be able to request for a Sarin report before purchase, and have a gemoloist evaluate the stone?
After a few more days of surfing this site and visiting more online e-diamond stores, I have found my answer. Some vendors allow the diamonds to be released to an independent appraiser and some just do not.

How the vendor gets the diamond back from the appraiser (if the appraiser is not in the same locality) is another question.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK - here''s an amatuerish question. Say, I find a seemingly suitable Heart. Will I be able to request for a Sarin report before purchase, and have a gemoloist evaluate the stone?

sure GOG or whiteflash could do that for you.
Your best bet is to find a vendor and work with them hunting it down.

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/19/2005 1:02:02 AM
Author: strmrdr

sure GOG or whiteflash could do that for you.
Your best bet is to find a vendor and work with them hunting it down.
And I hope the vendor is patient and willing to continue the hunt with me even when I reject what he or she thinks is a rare one.
39.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/19/2005 12:34:55 AM

Will I be able to request for a Sarin report before purchase, and have a gemoloist evaluate the stone?
After a few more days of surfing this site and visiting more online e-diamond stores, I have found my answer. Some vendors allow the diamonds to be released to an independent appraiser and some just do not.

How the vendor gets the diamond back from the appraiser (if the appraiser is not in the same locality) is another question.
mrssparkles, I had three diamonds sent by different Pricescope vendors to our independent appraiser in Seattle in the summer. We decided on the diamond from Whiteflash and they waived all shipping costs because we chose their diamond. One of the other vendors expected us to pay shipping both ways. I''m not sure I agree with that, since they were a vendor trying to sell a $20K stone, so surely they should have a bit of outlay in trying to sell it, ie paying for one way shipping and the customer pays for the return. Anyway, make sure you know the vendors'' policies regarding shipping, so you know exactly what you will be required to pay for. The whole procedure is very easy and you don''t have to worry yourself about the actual shipping, the appraiser deals with that side of things. You just look and choose the diamond that speaks to you.

Good luck!

mrssparkles

Rough_Rock
Thank you minimouse. I will remember to ask about shipping with regard to WF and GOG.

I think some of you already know by now that I am in Singapore. So all the searching and communication would have to be done online and via email respectively. That is why I need a reliable and trustworthy independent appraiser. I guess I would also need to ask the vendor whom they are comfortable sending the diamond to.

I have a long time friend who is a diamond wholesaler in Singapore and it''s disappointing that he does not have what I want in his inventory (he buys what he thinks is popular and will have great turnovers. he says he needs to consider insurance premiums housing the diamonds etc, and what I am looking for, is few and far in between - but hey, that''s why I want it!). Having said that, he will do me a favour and hunt for it. I do not want to rely on him alone. I will buy from whoever finds me my perfect diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results