shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA ''Older People Diamonds'' vs ''Young People Diamonds''

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
Hi - I think I saw a HCA results charts on this site with areas labelled "Older People''s Diamonds" vs "Young People''s Diamonds", but for the life of me, I can''t find it again
33.gif
. Can someone please post the link?

Also, what is the difference between these 2 designations and why?

Would a WF ACA diamond be considered a "Older People Diamond" or a "Young People Diamond"?

And lastly, how young do you have to qualify as "Young"?
31.gif

Thanks!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Jeanne, the chart you were referring to was identifying which diamonds were more shallow, and which were a bit deeper.

Please know that it was OPINION based. It basically suggested that certain age groups that share common eyesight faults tend to prefer certain looks, but that''s not to say that any diamond is ONLY for ''older'' or ''younger'' people.

A WF ACA will look amazing to almost ANY pair of eyes, young or old, and the proof of that is the many ladies here of various ages who own them and love them.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Alj, and I would never, ever choose a diamond based on that premise. Most of us will enjoy a diamond over many years with possible changes in our vision over time. But a well cut stone is a well cut stone, and I want that no matter what happens to my vision!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I need reading glasses now, but rest assured that I always put on my glasses when looking at prospective jewelry! I''d never buy anything based on my non-glasses eye sight as I need a little help seeing the details now...I''d be interested in reading that thread too though...

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Anytime you use the HCA there is a statement under the results saying Click here to read usage warnings and information. The chart is found there.

“Older People Rings” vs “Younger People Rings” is a generalization about steep crown/pavilion relationships versus shallow. In brief, shallow combos are more easily darkened by observer head shadow. Since young people have better close-vision the idea is that steeper combos - which are not as affected by shadow - will be better-suited for them... The danger with steep combos is that at some point they begin leaking light, causing them to be darker in all situations.

Regarding eyesight and distance; for a majority of humans the “near point of accommodation” (the distance at which focus is attained without strain, also called the distance of most distinct vision) is considered to be 25cm. In very young people or those who are nearsighted the distance is less. This near point recedes with age, possibly causing farsighted condition. How much it recedes depends largely on the individual.

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I''m a newbie here but I''m finding that I''ve become quite a "Pricescope-junkie" in a very short time.

28.gif
.... never knew such technical specs can be so much fun!

So based on John''s post, it appears that it''s not so much "younger people" vs "older people" but more a difference between viewing distances where shorter viewing distances show the deeper/steeper combos better and longer viewing distances would show the shallower combos better. Did I get that right?

I''ve just purchased a WF ACA stone for a solitaire pendant and was concerned that its specs placed it smack in middle of the "younger people" range instead of the "older people/pendant" range. Thanks to your posts - I''m re-assured!

A question about the a setting to show off the stone ( a modest .42 carat ): I''d like to set the stone in a simple u-prong setting in white gold with a solid polished back (see in pic). Would the solid back help reflect back ''leaked'' light to further maximize the stone''s performance? Might this help to lessen a diamond''s tendency to look ''dark'' in the centre and make it seem ''whiter/brighter''?

By the way, I might do (b) instead - any thoughts? (a) or (b)...I know the 2 are very similar but I love the clean look!
3.gif

Thanks!

pendant2ab.jpg

DIF

Rough_Rock
When someone of any age is carefully studying how something looks they automatically and involuntarily hold it at the perfect distance for their best focus.
This distance will be closer for younger people, and farther for older people.

Closer means more light (or light over a wider angle) from behind is blocked by their head.
Diamonds with certain proportions perform better than others under this condition.

Maybe I should design and sell glasses that have LED lights built into the rims all around each eye for us diamond lovers.
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeanne, it is the light that come in through the face of the diamond that reflects back the light that you see. So you don''t need to worry about the back of the setting at all. ACA''s are lovely in any settings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results