shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo vs. 5 stone for EC center

IDtoTX

Rough_Rock
This is a good problem to have though I guess! I''m going to reset my engagement ring and I''ve decided to use Leon Mege. I''m so excited to own one of his pieces! My problem is that I can''t decide on the setting. I''m choosing between 2 completely different looks. My stone is a 1.32 EC, F, SI1.

1. My original thought was to go with a halo design. I think Leon''s pave/micropave work is so incredible and I fell in love with it. However, when I spoke with Leo, his first reaction was that an EC doesn''t belong in a halo. He would do it for me but he feels it takes away from the clean lines that are the hallmarks of EC. He said he would certainly do a halo if that''s what I preferred and we talked about some different options with that. We would base it off of http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=440 with a shank like http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=440 However, his preference was to put it in a...

2. 5 Stone ring with traps and baguettes/bullets on the sides. He thinks it''s more of an elegant design and more suited to an EC. The example would be http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=459 which I believe is LadyLuLu''s GORGEOUS ring.

I know that they are both incredible options and 2 COMPLETELY different looks. I would love opinions!

Also, do you think that the 5 stone ring with pave on the shank would be too much/too contrasting?

Thanks everyone! I''ve learned so much from lurking on here!
35.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 9:51:04 PM
Author:IDtoTX
This is a good problem to have though I guess! I''m going to reset my engagement ring and I''ve decided to use Leon Mege. I''m so excited to own one of his pieces! My problem is that I can''t decide on the setting. I''m choosing between 2 completely different looks. My stone is a 1.32 EC, F, SI1.

1. My original thought was to go with a halo design. I think Leon''s pave/micropave work is so incredible and I fell in love with it. However, when I spoke with Leo, his first reaction was that an EC doesn''t belong in a halo. He would do it for me but he feels it takes away from the clean lines that are the hallmarks of EC. He said he would certainly do a halo if that''s what I preferred and we talked about some different options with that. We would base it off of http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=440 with a shank like http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=440 However, his preference was to put it in a...

2. 5 Stone ring with traps and baguettes/bullets on the sides. He thinks it''s more of an elegant design and more suited to an EC. The example would be http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=459 which I believe is LadyLuLu''s GORGEOUS ring.

I know that they are both incredible options and 2 COMPLETELY different looks. I would love opinions!

Also, do you think that the 5 stone ring with pave on the shank would be too much/too contrasting?

Thanks everyone! I''ve learned so much from lurking on here!
35.gif
clickable

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
HANDS DOWN the five stone. That is my absolute favourite look for a 5 stone ring. Have you seen gummibear''s ring? Also a Leon and a three stone with traps. If I ever own a step cut, that is the setting it will do into.

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Even though I love micropave (especially Leon''s work), I think I prefer the 5 stone. It''s very beautiful and elegant. That being said, the ring that my ring was based off of had an EC center stone and it was FABULOUS! Absolutely FABULOUS! With those 2 choices, I don''t think you can go wrong.. Can''t wait to see pictures!
35.gif

IDtoTX

Rough_Rock
Thanks for making them clickable dreamer! Also, thanks for telling me about gummibears ring. It's incredible and her center stone is close to my stones size. That's one of the issues that I've been having - it seems like most of the rings that are on Leon's site are HUGE! I've had a hard time picturing my size in some of those settings.

Thanks for your input~
9.gif

IDtoTX

Rough_Rock
PavePrincess, your ring is incredible. It''s rings like yours that make me want a halo!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I think Leon has the reputation he does for a reason. He has a real eye for beauty and I agree that the 5 stone is a much more elegant look with an EC, so that''s my vote.

crisnpearl

Rough_Rock
my vote is definitely 5 stone.. sorry but i think that EC in halo looks a little strange due to the contracst of the clear lines and rectanglar shape

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
5 stone without a doubt. The halo looks busy, a tad gaudy, and just takes away from the elegance of the EC.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
For sure, the 5 stone. So gorgeous! For some reason, the halo looks awkward to me and I love halos.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
5 stone (or 3 stone) for sure! Leon knows what he is talking about...

Definitely no pave on the shank if you''re going with the 5 stone.

Also, I don''t like halos on ECs. Too busy.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely 5 stone!

To me, the halo around the EC looks cheap and tacky. I can''t help but think, ewwww.

And imho, it is sacrilegious to think ewwww when talking about Leon Mege.

scout76

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, I like an EC in a halo (I''m biased probably coz I just purchased an EC in a delicate Tacori #2620 halo tho I''ve yet to receive it)

On the contrary, I find that a halo (a delicate one!) beautifully frames an EC & makes the mesmerizing step cuts really stand out, while the busy lines of a 5 stone with bullets & traps "fight" with the EC''s step cuts for attention.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I would vote for the 5 stone as well.

I have seen an emerald in a Tacori 2620 and it looked fabulous. This may be bad to say here, but I really don''t care for Leon''s halo on the emerald. not sure why I like Tacori but not his.

IDtoTX

Rough_Rock
Looks like it''s fairly unanimous!
2.gif
I don''t think I can go wrong either way but I was leaning towards the 5 stone after I spoke with Leon. Maybe for my 20 year anniversary I can talk my husband into a cushion in one of Leons halos!

As an FYI...I have tried on a smaller EC in a halo from a jeweler in town and I did like the look. I wasn''t sure that I would. I haven''t seen a 5 stone style similar to what Leon has. I''ll have to look for one to try on.

Thanks for all the input!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I love the Leon halo''s as well. And his pave is to die for. I ended up going with his idea of my cushion flanked by french cuts (a baby sister version of Wintotty''s) and I''m so glad. What I''m planning on doing is getting a halo RHR. Maybe that''s an idea for you. Plus it''ll give you another project to dream of when this one is through. That 5 stone is so beautiful. His proportions are more perfect than anyone else in the business. He has this amazing ability to pair stones, and yet not distract but enhance the center stone, IMHO.

IDtoTX

Rough_Rock
Missydebby, I just saw Wintotty''s ring. It''s incredible! Congratulations, sounds like your ring will be beautiful!

I''m so excited to do this now. I''m going to wait until the middle of July to send my ring in though since Leon will be going on vacation. I want the least amount of time to be parted from my ring!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands down a 5 stone! So classy and timeless!
30.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results