shape
carat
color
clarity

Gypsy/Kenny/Karl K - help me with an Asscher please

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

you all probably remember Erica's 3ct L Asscher and her 5 stone ring from Leon Mege... I was wondering about creating something similar and love with my untrained eyes this Asscher: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-257ct-l-vs1-asscher-cut-diamond-gia-r6350

I don't mind the slight assymmetry, and really like the prominent steps, to me the stone looks bright and lively, I love the VS1 clarity...

But I know nothing about Asschers really, plus I cannot go to see it in person (and shipping up and down would also be hard because of fees and taxes since I am not from the US), I never saw an L in real life, there are no ASETs etc, the area around the mills looks a bit foggy to me on the pics and some areas dark... and many other ifs. So I just thought I come here and ask for HELP!

Please help :eh:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before we even get into cut are you willing to go with a non white facing diamond? Step cuts in general show more colour than say OECs do.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am limited by board rules what I can say.
I will say that David has the tools to do ASET images.

A do agree with the above post have you seen some lower color step cuts?
They are not bad they are what they are some like them when they see them some don't.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
thank you for your replies: No, I have not seen an L in real life, a J is the lowest so far and it was not a step cut. I adore the pictures of Erica's ring, but I understand that a part of the reason why all adore it is the amazing Asscher diamond in it and I cannot do the same magic by just buying an L colored large Asscher...

Karl K - I am not completely aware of the rules you are reffering to. If I post an ASET of the diamond will you be able to give me your opinion?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl is a vendor. Vendors have additional rules that regulate their posts.

He started out as a consumer and entered the trade. So, while before he could comment freely, he cannot any more.

Step cuts show color VERY differently than brilliant cuts. So if you have not seen the stone yet, I suggest you do so before you get it set. Dave can ship it out to you.

That said, while Dave has an ASET he will tell you all kinds of things to get out of giving you one. He dislikes the use of the ASET scope in diamond buying and doesn't believe in objective tools of light performance measurement are the 'right' way to buy diamonds. He prefers people trust his words and his judgement and his experience.

So... good luck getting an ASET image of that stone.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Dear Gypsy, thank you very much for the clarification. Can you tell me more about the diamond based on the pictures and video, certificate data maybe? I will consider shipping the diamond prior to setting too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondXXX|1432788219|3882098 said:
No, I have not seen an L in real life, a J is the lowest so far and it was not a step cut. I adore the pictures of Erica's ring, but I understand that a part of the reason why all adore it is the amazing Asscher diamond in it and I cannot do the same magic by just buying an L colored large Asscher...
Are you fine with the stone if the step cut has the magic but is visibly off-white?

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Well did not even hurt ;))

Here is the ASET and two pictures with a G side by side. David has been really understanding and patient and responds quick to each of my requests. The ASET is maybe not the clearest, but I hope someone will be able to give me a feedback on the diamond.

The color when placed on neutral background scares me a bit, but on the skin it looks nice to me. How will the setting (in platinum) influence the diamond color?

_30648.jpg

_30649.jpg

_30650.jpg

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Dear Chrono, as I just mentioned above, the L color is a bit scary to me on the glass desk/surface (first photo with the G), but when I see it on skin, like on the video or now the second picture I placed, I find it actually nice, a bit golden or butter-y, definitely off white, but there I do not perceive it as negative per se. So I am wondering how the stone will look once set in platinum and worn on a finger.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty Asscher. I have a K that is very well cut and it faces up white. What the photos can't show are a "binocular" view of the performance, which if it is great, will "override" color in most light.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a "K" I purchased from DavId. My ring also has K sides. I honestly do not see the warmth except in certain lighting and then it is more candlelight in color. I'm attaching a picture taken by another PSer of my ring. To my untrained eye it looks pretty good. :bigsmile:

I'm not an expert but I was studying that Asscher on his site too. Lovely! :naughty:

_30651.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are happy for it to look like an Antique stone and put it into the setting you like not expecting it to be colourless then you should be O.K. I own an L coloured OEC that I think shows a lot less colour than this stone. About 20% it bugs the bejeepers out of me the other 80% of the time I am fine with it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI All,
Gypsy- I don't think we'll be hiring you a company spokesperson just yet:) :whistle:
Seriously - you have mis-characterized our position.
Obviously we do provide ASET images when requested.
In my many years here I've learned a tremendous amount about ASET and it's relationship to actual diamonds.
The tool itself is objective- however analyzing an ASET image must involve subjective judgment.
Analyzing an actual diamond in real life also involves subjective judgment.
If we're considering a round diamond, the potential variation is negligible as compared to the variations we can find in pretty much any fancy shape. Therefore far more subjective judgment comes into play in assessing fancy shapes.

Personally, I am very wary of anyone who suggests that "trust me" is the right way to select a diamond, or pretty much anything else.
Having said that, I do find that a sense of trust can develop when I feel more comfortable with a person's assessment.
There are cutters who may tell me "It's a gorgeous make" and I know I can take that to the bank.
There are other cutters where such a statement is a sales pitch, pure and simple.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the hand, it shows a warmth vs the G, but is not terrible. I quite like it, and the video looked nice.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1432817582|3882193 said:
Very pretty Asscher. I have a K that is very well cut and it faces up white. What the photos can't show are a "binocular" view of the performance, which if it is great, will "override" color in most light.

Dear Jimmianne - Thank you so much, I was trying to go through your topics and posts, but got a bit lost. Could you maybe post a picture? If you mean the one from GOG (I saw one, I guess it is the one you are reffering to) I can hardly believe it is a K color. It might show the color more in this size though. I think at the moment my brainstorming about the color is the most inluential one to be honest since to se the diamond I would have to ship it to Europe first.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Mayk|1432821774|3882217 said:
I have a "K" I purchased from DavId. My ring also has K sides. I honestly do not see the warmth except in certain lighting and then it is more candlelight in color. I'm attaching a picture taken by another PSer of my ring. To my untrained eye it looks pretty good. :bigsmile:

I'm not an expert but I was studying that Asscher on his site too. Lovely! :naughty:

Your ring is absolutely gorgeous!!! I saw a topic in which you were listing it for sale. Did you keep it in the end? Honestly, why did you choose DBL for the diamond? I mean all I can hear here is go to GOG, so I am so glad to have found such an excellent reference for DBL :)

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1432823203|3882226 said:
If you are happy for it to look like an Antique stone and put it into the setting you like not expecting it to be colourless then you should be O.K. I own an L coloured OEC that I think shows a lot less colour than this stone. About 20% it bugs the bejeepers out of me the other 80% of the time I am fine with it.

:))) well 20 to 80 is still pretty fine :) I do agree that not having it shipped first sounds quite risky. I also got to the Asscher by complete accident. I was on the antique cushion route, but then went to DBL site to check out something about diamonds cut by Yoram and found it sitting there and really started to think about it more and more.

I am just wondering at the same time whether it would not be better to go shopping for an Asscher directly to Antwerp? I live in Belgium right now. Its understandable for an AVC for example, which I will simply not be able to get over here since its sold by GOG to shop online, but for an Asscher I might be risking too much without having seein it live. What do you think?

I purchased some H&A from BDG diamonds online for example, but that is a completely different diamond shopping than fancy cuts.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Thank you also telephone89 and eirwen for your input, I am so glad to have received so many replies so far. And David of course :)

Could someone maybe give me a feedback on the ASET that I have posted? I am a complete novice at step cuts!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondXXX|1432848843|3882429 said:
Mayk|1432821774|3882217 said:

Your ring is absolutely gorgeous!!! I saw a topic in which you were listing it for sale. Did you keep it in the end? Honestly, why did you choose DBL for the diamond? I mean all I can hear here is go to GOG, so I am so glad to have found such an excellent reference for DBL :)

I'm thinking I'm keeping it but felt like I had to sell it to buy my daughter's car. Then some things happened and I was able to buy her a very nice used car for less than I had planned to spend. My husband really didn't want me to sell it. We picked it out together.

I liked working with David. We went to NY and spent time there. He sent me a 1.5 K to look at. But I thought it was smaller than I wanted. He then found this Diamond and I loved it when I saw it and the size was perfect. He was patient and responded quickly to my emails. I travel for work so my hours can be crazy. He returned calls even on Sunday and answered endless questions.

I do have PS disease and I've considered resetting it in the Erika Winters Helena. But I do love it's current home too and my husband really likes it. Who knows. I love her pieces.

We are headed back to New York in a few weeks and I will drop by and see David and a few of his pretty rings. :naughty: I've also been drooling over the 1ct K IF he just added. It would make a stunning pendant. Too bad I'm not swimming in money. :shock:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondXXX|1432848703|3882425 said:

Dear Jimmianne - Thank you so much, I was trying to go through your topics and posts, but got a bit lost. Could you maybe post a picture? If you mean the one from GOG (I saw one, I guess it is the one you are reffering to) I can hardly believe it is a K color. It might show the color more in this size though. I think at the moment my brainstorming about the color is the most inluential one to be honest since to se the diamond I would have to ship it to Europe first.

DXXX, here is a video of it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLJ4hf-VPJU

Having to ship it to Europe to see it really makes a dilemma! All the Best : )

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Dear Mayk, PS definitely is a blessing and a curse at the same time. And there are so many wonderful cuts to adore. I am torn between an Asscher and an old mine brilliant and just feel like cannot make my final choice. About this Asscher I also love the size, and when seeing your ring also the color... but like Jimmianne pointed out, shipping to Europe or setting the unseen diamond makes the dilemma even more difficult. With H&A or an AVC I would take the plunge I guess, but with a step cut I have my reservation. My husband travels to US often, I even asked him to consider having the diamond shipped out once he is there, but he said he cannot look at it with my eyes. I mean he is right, even if he adores it I might not or vice versa. I am waiting for one more video and will decide based on that. In any way I am sure that all the background work and images will either help me decide or help another person to fall in love with it since the comments here were all very positive actually :)))

Apart from the ASET on which no one is commenting at all :think:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1432859338|3882500 said:
DiamondXXX|1432848703|3882425 said:

DXXX, here is a video of it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLJ4hf-VPJU

Having to ship it to Europe to see it really makes a dilemma! All the Best : )
I would never have guessed that was a K! That really does look like it has amazing light return and cut :)

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi op, this is one of those cases, I think, where the nit picking of the a set might not be that helpful. I find the aset a little ho hum, but think the photos of the actual diamond pleasing. I think it definitely has personality. This vendor should be able to make a video for u too, if he hasn't already. You can then compare that video with some GOG videos on asschers. so, it's a little confusing, my advice would be to rely on judgement of trusted vendor. If u want second opinion, purchase and within return window have it appraised by us third party appraiser to assess and discuss with u before deciding to ship it UK or back to vendor. For about 85 dollars u can buy some peace of mind. Just a thought And good luck. I think it's a nice find, fwiw.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luvdajules|1432998894|3882990 said:
Hi op, this is one of those cases, I think, where the nit picking of the a set might not be that helpful. I find the aset a little ho hum, but think the photos of the actual diamond pleasing. I think it definitely has personality. This vendor should be able to make a video for u too, if he hasn't already. You can then compare that video with some GOG videos on asschers. so, it's a little confusing, my advice would be to rely on judgement of trusted vendor. If u want second opinion, purchase and within return window have it appraised by us third party appraiser to assess and discuss with u before deciding to ship it UK or back to vendor. For about 85 dollars u can buy some peace of mind. Just a thought And good luck. I think it's a nice find, fwiw.

Belgium is in the Netherlands but not part of the UK, the UK is only Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales. The UK joined the European parliament but remains as 4 different countries within Britain. The Netherlands and the UK are members of the European Parliament as are countries like Germany, France, etc.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found it funny when in Florida to be asked if I was from Scotland, England. They are two different countries and not always in agreement with each other.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Pyramid|1433011441|3883049 said:

Belgium is in the Netherlands but not part of the UK, the UK is only Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales. The UK joined the European parliament but remains as 4 different countries within Britain. The Netherlands and the UK are members of the European Parliament as are countries like Germany, France, etc.

Um... Belgium is part of Benelux/'Low Counties', but the Netherlands is the Netherlands and a completely different country than Belgium.

Maybe it's Holland that you're thinking of, which is a part of the Netherlands.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock

dear luvdajules, thank you very much for the interesting and very helpful input. David is now in Vegas, so it will take some days until I can see the (already) second video. The first is on the webpage in the link I have posted. It is for me very hard to compare this video to GOG style videos to be honest. I tried to explain a bit to David how I would need him to create the second one. Will keep you posted ;-)

RE Belgium and UK and EU - Belgium is part of the European Union, European Parliament is only one of the institutions that are in charge of EU issues. And as Raccon pointed out, Benelux are Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands together, they were founding countries of the EU... anyway, I need to ship to Europe and still need to figure out whether and how :) If you would ask me something about the different US states I would probably mix all together even more than it just happened :roll:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockyRacoon|1433012938|3883054 said:
Pyramid|1433011441|3883049 said:

Um... Belgium is part of Benelux/'Low Counties', but the Netherlands is the Netherlands and a completely different country than Belgium.

Maybe it's Holland that you're thinking of, which is a part of the Netherlands.

And....I made the same type of mistake, lol. I should really leave things alone I am not sure about :read:

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I missed the post on exactly where the poster is from, not because I'm insensitive to it or ignorant in general, but more because I got confused as I know ohshiny is from UK and in the context of my post, I believe the op understood what I meant. I think my suggestions are still valid and legitimate as anyone's wishing to help others on their diamond quest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results