shape
carat
color
clarity

Green Lake Jewelry Works...Custom work there any good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MAchick

Rough_Rock
So after seeing my much-loved-in-pictures Tacori setting in person and being not quite satisfied, I''ve decided to go the custom route for my engagement ring. (You people have also converted me to the East-West marquise setting completely)

I''ve seen Green Lake linked to when people are asking about antique settings and I love their rings. It also looks like they do a lot of fancy filigree and engraving work as well, something I haven''t seen a lot of in the WhiteFlash or Quest galleries that are normally recommended by you guys for custom work.

BUT, I searched and couldn''t find any actual reviews of Green Lake''s work here. Has anyone here ever worked with them? What did you think?

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
The only thing I can say is that I fell in love with one of their rings, but their prices are VERY high.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have not personally seen any examples of their work, nor heard of anyone on ps yet having something made but i can say that i have been completely enthralled by their designs on the website. very nice. please let us know if you have something made!

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Many of their "minimalist" designs are so understated and beautiful. Their website seems to indicate that they are very responsive for custom work and I too was thinking about them... hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in
1.gif

here is the site

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/default.asp

MAchick

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/22/2006 7:47:25 PM
Author: f0rbidden
The only thing I can say is that I fell in love with one of their rings, but their prices are VERY high.

Are they really that high for the filigree work and such that the antique-style rings have?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2006 10:51:08 PM
Author: MAchick

Are they really that high for the filigree work and such that the antique-style rings have?
Well, very few do handmade filigree anymore - if cast, it would be allot cheaper. So it depends if that means any difference to you.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
If you look down for the ''settings'' topic that i started a few days back, you''ll see that their prices for the ring I absolutely LOVE are more than 2x what the jeweler I''m working with is going to charge - and, there is a post from someone else who agrees their prices are very high for what the finished product is compared to other venders

that having been said, I agree that hand made items are always more expensive and usually worth the money - so it''s a personal preference. I don''t want to spend $2000 for a setting because it''s too large a chunk of my total budget, but not everyone would agree.

I saved the ring that they had and posted my price inquiry on their ''blog'' I received an email later the SAME day saying my blog had been updated - and it was a response from them outlining the pricing and procedure - the mail was VERY professional, polite and helpful. From that alone I would have continued working with them if I didn''t feel the process was cost prohibitive.

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/22/2006 10:51:08 PM

Date: 2/22/2006 7:47:25 PM
Author: f0rbidden

Hey,

I just noticed yesterday while on a computer w/o pop-up blocker that you sent me a pm a month ago... what''s your status? I am getting my ring this week and thus hanging around teh board in anticipation b/c it is really quite distracting waiting for the ring.

If custom is the route you are going, have you checked into the jeweler I used? His style tends to be more smooth metal flowing stuff, but he does have some filigree examples I believe initiated in cad and well finished. Mark Morrell is another local jeweler for you that everyone here rages over, though I didn''t realize was local till recently. He also seems to mostly do the free flowing well polished look.

I would guess that those antique rings on that site appear are computer done which I have no issues with. It is all about the quality of the finishing. They look quite good no? Nothing worse than crummy filligree work, just looks blah. How expensive are the settings w/o jewels?

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
hi MA chick
35.gif

here is another place that does filagree. I have been considering buying from there. The only thing is that they are in Canada, but at least you could get some more setting ideas from them.

http://www.canadian-diamonds-wholesale.com/

I have read a few things on them, and their customers seem quite happy. I did my search on them thru here.

~Cather

MAchick

Rough_Rock
I''ve actually am in the process with Green Lake. I just wasn''t able to find any other places that really showed me many examples of beautifully done filigree (not engraving but actual pierced-through work), so even though the price seemed a bit high, I decided it was worth it. My understanding is that the filigree will be hand-done, although I may be wrong about that.

If people are interested, I''ll be happy to chronicle my adventures with them on PS. I''m extremly indecisive, so we are just starting the CAD drawings this week.

I guess I should start a new thread for that though.

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 7:10:17 PM
I''ve actually am in the process with Green Lake. I just wasn''t able to find any other places that really showed me many examples of beautifully done filigree (not engraving but actual pierced-through work), so even though the price seemed a bit high, I decided it was worth it. My understanding is that the filigree will be hand-done, although I may be wrong about that.

If people are interested, I''ll be happy to chronicle my adventures with them on PS. I''m extremly indecisive, so we are just starting the CAD drawings this week.

I guess I should start a new thread for that though.

I hear you. Bad filigree is even worse than bad engraving. You will know when you see the cads if it is hand done or not, but it doesn''t matter. it is the pride of workmanship and the pics at that website look great. I am sure it will turn out fine. (it will however be an emotional roller coaster waiting to see how the whole thing turns out!)

MAchick

Rough_Rock
Just thought I''d update this with the confirmation that the filigree work at Green Lake is hand-done.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results