shape
carat
color
clarity

grandmother''s old diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I haven''t been on here that long and i am still learning about this whole process, but here is my story. My bf and I have been talking about getting engaged for a while now. My grandmother passed away around 4 years ago and left a ring for my mom. My mom gave it to me and now my bf and I want to use the diamond from the center of the ring and re-set it. This ring is really old and from Argentina, where my bubbie was born. The ring is platinum I think and very ornate with 5 baguettes going around the outside on one side and 3 tiny round diamonds set in a paisley shape on the other side. It is set VERY high on many long stalks and the diamond in the center, set even higher than the other setting for the other stone, is set with 6 prongs. I think the diamond in the center is around .80 ct. Anyway, we don''t have enough money to buy a new diamond so we are using this one but part of me wants to get it appraised just to know what exactly it is and what quality. I am sure the quality isn''t very good because it''s a little dark, but it might just need to be taken out of the setting and cleaned.
We have a jeweler that my family is friends with but I don''t think we are going to use him for the setting. We found some really nice antique-like settings at Claude Morady at Antiquarius on Beverly Blvd. but I am scared to give someone the diamond if i don''t know all about it. What if something happens to it? Or what if it is switched? i am a little nervous about the whole thing and my bf doesn''t know ANYTHING about diamonds. Should I ask our family jeweler about it even though we aren''t going to use him to design the setting? (We want one that has a marquis or pear shaped diamond on either side with pave going down the band and maybe around the basket to make it nice and sparkly.)
Any input would be appreciated. I can try to take a picture of the ring tonight, but I can''t make any promises because I have to go to my parents'' house and use their camera.
Thanks for reading and I welcome any advice.
Simone
santa monica, ca

Patty

Ideal_Rock
For your own peace of mind, you could invest the $100 or so to get an independent appraisal on the ring before you have any work done on it. The appraiser should be able to point out to you your stone''s unique "birthmarks" so that you can recognize it later. If you invest in a loupe, you should be able to identify your own stone.

Why do you not want to use your family jeweler? Your family jeweler may be able to help you with setting the stone. Why not give him or her a chance? Maybe he has settings available to him that you are not aware of or could make up something custom for you. I also think he/she could teach you how to use the loupe to identify your own stone so that you do not have to worry about it. And if it''s someone your family knows and trusts, then you don''t have to worry anyway.

By the way, stone switching is VERY rare.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Some independent appraisers can even laser inscribe the girdle for you for a fee. You could use your initials and engagement date or something else unique to you for your inscription.
1.gif

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,
I was able to take pictures of the ring thanks to my dad''s camera. The diamond came out a little yellow in places, but I think that is due to it being a bit dirty. It hasn''t been taken out of its setting in a VERY long time and cleaned. It''s a crazy little ring!
Simone

DSC06116Aw.jpg

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
There is not much to add to that.

The ring has taken a few knocks and the band is a little worn, but it is hand-made and worth something in my eyes for that reason. Soon there will not be much hand made jewellery around. (I mean hand forged hand made - IE not cast)

I doubt it is platinum. The prongs on the inside look like they were oxidised during manufacture which doesn''t hapen to platinum. The colour looks great so I''d suggest you have white gold with a plat/pladium alloy which renderes it useless to melt down, but is about the best non-platinum metal you could want.

Cleaning the stone does not involve taking the diamond out.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
My family jeweler would probably encourage me to use the ring as is if it is structurally sound, and the prongs aren''t weak enough to have a loss of stones.......I think part of its value might be the fact that it IS old and not replacable....Have you considered using it as your Ering until the time comes when you can afford something else? Do have it appraised....Make sure you discuss with the appraisor your concerns....he/she might think that the diamond/ring has more value "as is" (as an antique), than it would if you took the stone out and reset it....that would all depend on the quality of the stone, the quality and integrity of the setting....and what you really prefer to do!!!!
It''s your choice, but it does pay to get a professional opinion.....maybe take it to several reputable jewelers to get ideas.........!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wowza...that is one HIGH setting!
6.gif

If you do decide to wear it like that, be careful not to put anyone''s eye out with it!
2.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I think that is unbelievably charming, and if I were you I would wear it just as it is (resized to fit you, of course, if necessary). At any rate, it won''t be just like everybody else''s ring!

However, I know I have somewhat unusual taste, and not everone would agree with me. Still, if you do remove the stone, have it done very carefully so you or someone else can reuse the setting. I can''t be the only person around who thinks it''s charming!

There are lots of threads about how to clean diamond jewelry. You can take it to any jeweler, but in the meantime, try soaking it overnight in a little cup of half ammonia, half water. In the morning, scrub it gently with a soft toothbrush, rinse it off with water (carefully plugging the drain!!), and dry it carefully with a lint-free cloth.

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
wow, thank you for your advice. I feel bad taking the diamond out of this antique ring, but the setting is a little too much for me. I know what you mean about replacing the center stone once we take it out. I think my mom has a pearl to put in the middle so if we do get an upgrade in a LONG time, I can take the old diamond out of my e-ring and put it back in its original home.
I think I will call my family jeweler on monday and see if he can appraise it so at least I know the specs.
simone

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
My engagement diamond is from a dinner ring of my grandmother''s which was a bit gaudy, in my opinion.

Since it was "just" a dinner ring, I didn''t feel bad removing it from the setting. I feel my grandmother would rather have me wear it and enjoy it than retain it in its original condition. We also put a garnet in the place of the diamond so I could still wear the original ring.

Both times that I had my ring appraised, they did it while I waited. Then I had it insured, so leaving it with a jeweler wasn''t really a concern.

You can get some jewelery cleaning solution at Bed Bath and Beyond (and other places too of course, that''s just the easiest place I''ve found it) and give it a good soaking and scrubbing yourself. The first time we cleaned our family rings, all sorts of gunk came off of them.

Wear your new/old ring in health and happiness!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results