shape
carat
color
clarity

Got my ring - why am I disappointed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Choose Ring Soon

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I think I need your help here.
Contrary to my user name, my experience ended up with a purchase later rather than sooner. I posted a while ago about my indecision in choosing between 3 rings. Each one had something I loved but also a little something I didn''t (price, metal, etc.), so, after reading the helpful insights from forum members and mulling it over, I decided to go the custom route.

Well, initial estimate for delivery was 4 to 6 weeks (no way we weren''t making the wedding date with a custom ring). Jewelrer missed that date. Next week, he said. Oops, still not ready. Before Xmas, I promise. And here we go, on the eve of Xmas eve, I have my ring.

I put the ring on in the store and it''s really nice; the ring''s so shiny, it''s blinding. I was alone when I picked it up and I didn''t inspect it really. I put it back in the box to go home so that my husband could put it on me. As he''s slipping the ring on my finger, he notices that one of the sides is bumpy. After a closer look, he sees that the platinum is "chipped" on the edge. The more I look at it, the more I see things wrong with it. So, now, I''m bummed. I waited so long for it and now that I have it, it seems anticlimatic. Is this normal? I called the jewelrer right away about the rough edge and he said, no problem, that can be polished in 2 seconds. So, I''ll see him next week about this.

I noticed something else about it. The diamonds don''t seem flush against each other. If I look at the ring from the side, the diamonds have an almost staircase effect. They are 7 Princess diamonds, set in platinum; semi-eternity ring with brillant diamonds set pave on the sides. Is this how it should be? I don''t know enough about jewelry to know. I''ll see if I can take pictures; don''t know if camera will allow me to show this type of detail.

The other thing: it looks wider than I expected and feels bigger than I recall the sizer feeling. Can these things be fixed easily? Last thing: should the mark "platinum" be engraved or stamped on the inside of the shank? Is there a convention for this?

If anyone has any insight, I''d appreciate hearing from you. Apologies for the long post and any obvious newbie queries. Not sure if this forum is the best venue for my queries, but I couldn''t post this in "Show me the Ring" ! I''m not bragging yet
7.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like they rushed it. You should go back and say that you don''t feel they did a very good job and you aren''t happy, it doesn''t fit right and the stones aren''t set very well. If you paid for this to be done right it should be. If they don''t agree, ask for a refund and go elsewhere. There are many vendors on PS that will redo this for you.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Ame-
Address all of the issues with your jeweler, so that he has the opportunity to make it right. If he can''t fix it, get a refund and go elsewhere.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will not settle. PERIOD. And I have frustrated and annoyed several jewelers till it's right, one PS vendor included.

Don't take this lying down.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a shame. Sorry this happened to you. Make a list of everything that''s wrong with the ring. That way when you go to the jeweler you can refer to it in case you get flustered, or nervous. Hopefully he will make the ring right, if not get a refund and go elsewhere. Be calm and stick up for yourslef. Bringing hubby along is a good idea too. Good luck and let us know what happens.
1.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2005 12:28:42 AM
Author: kaleigh
What a shame. Sorry this happened to you. Make a list of everything that''s wrong with the ring. That way when you go to the jeweler you can refer to it in case you get flustered, or nervous. Hopefully he will make the ring right, if not get a refund and go elsewhere. Be calm and stick up for yourslef. Bringing hubby along is a good idea too. Good luck and let us know what happens.
1.gif
I agree .
I can only imagine how dissappointed you are. Hopefully they will do the right thing and make the ring right or refund your money.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
I know platinum SHOULD have a mark in it....I forget what it is. I think there is one that says PLAT then another that is a number of some sort? Can''t remember...however my ring is platinum and it doesn''t have the mark in it. I think they cut it out when they sized it down for me. However I have had a few different jewelers look at my ring and no one has disputed it''s platinum status. Maybe thats another thing you could ask when you talk to the person who made your ring? Does it have any markings inside?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Usually it says "PLAT 950" or "PT 950" or 900, depending on the alloy used. I doubt it would detract from the ring''s value not to have it, but I would want it too.

Choose Ring Soon

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/24/2005 12:33:16 PM
Author: gailrmv
Usually it says ''PLAT 950'' or ''PT 950'' or 900, depending on the alloy used. I doubt it would detract from the ring''s value not to have it, but I would want it too.
Should the marking be stamped or engraved? Does it make a difference?

Thank you all for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I will go back next week and go over the things that I noticed. You are right, Ame, I won''t settle. At first I thought maybe it''s because it''s not a 10 K ring. Maybe I can''t expect the type of craftmanship for what I paid. But that''s silly. Everything else in his shop looked perfect, so he does have high standards. And he did tell me that if anything displeased me to go back to him and he would make it right. So, I won''t panic. I''ll keep you posted!

Thank you again and Happy Holidays everyone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Usually it is stamped. Good luck, and have a happy holiday!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with what everyone else has already said...it''s your ring, make it right or you will never be happy with it...good luck!! Stay strong.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2005 12:43:25 PM
Author: Choose Ring Soon

Should the marking be stamped or engraved? Does it make a difference?

There are some standard stamps for this. The marks are never engraved.

At first I thought maybe it's because it's not a 10 K ring. Maybe I can't expect the type of craftsmanship for what I paid.

No... this can't be right. Some designer brands come with high markup like that (remembering the 10k tag for a setting from a Beaudry collection) but that is definitely not the norm for anything but those brands. With your local jewelry shop, you do not have to pay for the advertising campaigns. Without the brand, the one thing that remains to brag about is good old quality. Go for it!
The 'staircase' look is not uncommon for rings where square cut diamonds need to be lined up. It is easier to make than aligning the tables of the diamonds to an arch parallel to the finger. So... it is done. Some may like it. Perhaps your jeweler didn't think you wouldn't. Such details are more often assumed than discussed (outside this forum, that is).
2.gif

My 2c

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results