shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA President: It''s All About Public Confidence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
GIA Newsletter: Thoughts from the President: The Global Message – It''s All About Public Confidence

What has changed? James Evans Lombe of the Diamond Trading Company described it this way in his excellent talk: “Consumer attitudes have changed – from ‘I’ll trust you’ to ‘Tell me more’ to ‘Show me’.” The expectations – even demands – from consumers are like never before. The industry would be wise to meet these expectations, or face the consequences of its inaction.

After all, jewelry is fundamentally a discretionary luxury purchase, and consumers have many other choices. According to Lombe, “Trust can only be achieved if consumers have complete confidence in the professional and ethical standards – and technical skills – of the gem industry.” Jewelry is an emotional purchase that must be backed by competent professionals who can win the respect of the public. And this is where GIA comes in.
Obviously, Mr. Boyajian offers GIA courses and training as a solution for raising the level of the consumer confidence. Education and knowledge are necessary but not enough to win my trust and confidence.

I want to be respected and treated as a human being. I want oppenness, not a sales pitch. Is there a course that teaches that instead of the tricks how to "close the deal"?
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2005 9:16:8 AM
Author:Pricescope

I want to be respected and treated as a human being. I want oppenness, not a sales pitch. Is there a course that teaches that instead of the tricks how to 'close the deal'?
Unless you choose to write a story of Pricescope
34.gif
... at least this place makes a point of oppenness, as much as this can be achieved with limited information.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RE: I want to be respected and treated as a human being. I want oppenness, not a sales pitch. Is there a course that teaches that instead of the tricks how to "close the deal"?
------------------------------

I am not sure that there is. Most of us come out of school ready to take on the world and change not only our lives but our professions. After a few more years of study we learn some of the real world information that we were not taught in school and actually begin to change our lives and our professions.

Those of us in sales must also go through the progression of learning how to sell, then realizing that selling is not the answer. I know that sounds strange, but after years of studying sales I no longer sell. I consult. I share, I give information and sometimes people buy, sometimes they don''t, but at the end of each year there are more dollars in the register than there were the year before, especially those years when I was studying how to sell. The more I give away, the more I receive. Hmmm, there is an interesting phenomenon.

I have tried to share this with those in my profession, and never have I seen anyone actually accept it that had not had his/her own time in the trenches learning in the real world.

I think what you are looking for is a result that comes to a fortunate few who have paid their dues, never quit learning and who have had the great fortune to be treated with openess themselves a few times to see how wonderful that is. I am not sure how, or even if it can be taught in school, and I am even less certain that people would be able to learn it without having gone through the life courses that I think are a prerequisite for being ready, and indeed able, to learn what you are asking for.

Wink

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2005 9:45:42 AM
Author: Wink

I have tried to share this with those in my profession, and never have I seen anyone actually accept it that had not had his/her own time in the trenches learning in the real world.

[...] I am not sure how, or even if it can be taught in school
7.gif
sometimes it is taught, however, the lesson is hard to pass accross unless the class is made up of an experienced audience - as you say.

I don''t even think this is a cultural thing. Professors from several different countries agreed... Of course, I am really a novice among them
38.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Leonid,

I wonder if if I''m missing the back story, leading you to talk about the president''s message and salesmanship. Based on your snip, copied below:

After all, jewelry is fundamentally a discretionary luxury purchase, and consumers have many other choices. According to Lombe, “Trust can only be achieved if consumers have complete confidence in the professional and ethical standards – and technical skills – of the gem industry.” Jewelry is an emotional purchase that must be backed by competent professionals who can win the respect of the public. And this is where GIA comes in.

I read that Boyajian may be encouraging his jeweler readers to have greater confidence in his upcoming GIA certs, because his customers are increasingly asking about cut, and so soon, a diamond certed by them will produce what''s being requested.

So that was my first thought when I read your selection. Frankly, from a jewler, although I would like openness and prefer not to have a sales pitch...as was stated...what I really do want is a demonstration of the sort of technical skills he points to...which are of course part and parcel of many discussions here on Pricescope.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Why is GIA responding to cut?

AGS - their largest competitor has taken a lot of business away from Gem Trade Lab (GIA''s lab name).

It is obvious that they must change to offer a similar "product" in order not to lose even more business to them.

Since Mr. Boyajian''s appointment to the CEO/President of GIA, he has very successfully made GIA a far more corporate entity than it was.

Rockdoc

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wink, re "The more I give away, the more I receive. Hmmm, there is an interesting phenomenon." : another instance of what goes around, comes around.

peace, movie zombie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that gia needs to follow their own advice and come clean and public with their grading procedures and standards.
As Garry noted in another thread not even the trade knows a lot of what the policies are.
To be honest I have very little faith left in GIA anymore and feel they are sucking up to the industry way too much instead of serving consumers.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
ahh but... for John Doe - armed with a little bit of info... but not too much knowledge about labs. GIA represent a large base of graded rocks currently on the market. And it looks a good marketing prospect for GIA - to give cut info, and a cut grade... Mr. Doe can have that little bit of info thats currently been lacking unless added as an appendix by the vendor.

And i hope it does raise the game... so we can see what kind of rocks are being sold in the shops...

Evolve or Die.
35.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2005 9:16
6.gif
8 AM
Author:Pricescope
Obviously, Mr. Boyajian offers GIA courses and training as a solution for raising the level of the consumer confidence. Education and knowledge are necessary but not enough to win my trust and confidence.

I want to be respected and treated as a human being. I want oppenness, not a sales pitch. Is there a course that teaches that instead of the tricks how to ''close the deal''?
34.gif
HI:

I agree. It is my understanding that human beings seek relationships. And although there are many attributes that constitute a relationship--suffice it to say that mutuality/reciprocity, sincerity and respect are something which to aspire. But where do these attributes come from---lessons from a book? Doubtful--A GIA certificate may teach you what to say, but not how and when to say it. Respect is not conferred it is earned.

As an aside I want to share a finding from the extensive literature review I did for my thesis research--I hope you will agree it is apropos in light of this thread. For years educational researchers have been investigating the needs of learners and factors that contribute to student success and satisfaction in educational programs. The results of this research shows that a critical indicator affecting student satisfaction and peceived success in coursework is the interaction that occurs between the teachers and students.

Hence, can a useful analogy be drawn here? Isn''t meaningful interaction what it''s all about?

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2005 5:58:50 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 3/13/2005 5:17:43 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

--A GIA certificate may teach you what to say, but not how and when to say it. cheers--Sharon
A gIA cert conveys only some of the relevant information that is relevant to a customer.
HI:

Sorry, a miscommunication; I meant a graduate diploma issued by GIA (certainly a certificate, but not the one usually referred to on this forum)

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results