shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA - G colour - yellow tint?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

OK, I am a bit confused. I have just looked at at local jewellers 1 carat GIA cert stone set with Plat head and YG shank and it had a definate yellow tint. I was really surprised to see it graded as a G. My .33 ACA WF stones are also G colour and much whiter - could a yellower tinted stone have slipped through the process? Surley 1 carat is not big enough to see such a difference in tint? I am just confused.

33.gif

db

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2009 4:20:06 AM
Author:D2B
Hi

OK, I am a bit confused. I have just looked at at local jewellers 1 carat GIA cert stone set with Plat head and YG shank and it had a definate yellow tint. I was really surprised to see it graded as a G. My .33 ACA WF stones are also G colour and much whiter - could a yellower tinted stone have slipped through the process? Surley 1 carat is not big enough to see such a difference in tint? I am just confused.

33.gif

db
Interesting - were the surroundings yellowish or were you wearing a yellow shirt when looking at it? Sometimes diamonds can pick up colours from clothes.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe its the surroundings or something. No way a GIA graded G can be yellowish! GIA is the strictest lab in terms of colour grading. Hard to believe thay can badly mis-grade a stone.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, did you have your WF ACA with you at that time? G should not show yellow tint, definitely from the surrounding or maybe the store has mixed up the stones.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/31/2009 4:45:57 AM
Author: cindygenit
Maybe its the surroundings or something. No way a GIA graded G can be yellowish! GIA is the strictest lab in terms of colour grading. Hard to believe thay can badly mis-grade a stone.
But we are all human..., and it does happen sometimes! (to both direction).

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Does it have a tint outside? I ask because I have a G and in some conditions it picks up colors making it appear beige in certain situations. My car interior is tan, my living room is tan/gold and in those rooms it's not as white as other rooms. In my bedroom it was looking greenish and my carpet is green. It reflects so much color that you'd be surprised at how a round can do that. The tiny diamonds on my band(10pts)don't do that at all because of their small size. So face up, what looks like 'tint' is really just reflection of what's in the room. Even ceilings can influence it as well as lighting.

I want to point out that I look at everyone's hands when I'm anywhere, looking at their rings. I know there's a lot of low quality diamonds out there but I've NEVER noticed a tint in someones ring. What we scrutinize and agonize over, no one else notices ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or that particular cert really didn''t go with that diamond.
33.gif

Maybe the jeweler got them mixed up???

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 4:20:06 AM
Author:D2B
Hi

33.gif

db
i think the diamond might be picking up some color from the Yellow gold shank of the ring... That's my only thought. A G is pretty colorless...

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I too think it could be picking up a hint from the yellow shank. My SIL has a princess cut in a large yellow gold setting and I know it''s not a yellow tinted diamond at all but my sister said she could see a hint of yellow in it now and then, I''m just sure it''s from the setting.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
What was the cut?
My ACA H earrings look way whiter than my non-ideal cut H ring, a superb cut really does whiten the look of the diamond.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 7:45:05 AM
Author: DiaGem
Date: 7/31/2009 4:45:57 AM

Author: cindygenit

But we are all human..., and it does happen sometimes! (to both direction).

Fair enough Diagem!
2.gif

papillon626

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry to say but most basic, local mall or B&M corporate, commercial jewelers (Zales, Kays, Jareds, etc...the ones that claim to be diamond experts) bump up the color grade of their diamonds. Especially the diamonds that don't come with a GIA report and even some that do (so say a real GIA report) It was probably an I or even a J in color but they claim it to be a G. Diamonds can pick up some surrounding colors but not that much when the shank is gold and the head is platinum. The dishonesty of the diamond jewelry industry is enormous, and most people are clueless about it. I have read that most diamonds that people buy thinking they are an I, are in fact as high as a M in the commercial stores.

Read "How to Buy a Diamond," by Fred Cuellar...the industry is amazing!!!

Big daddy 48

Rough_Rock
It''s impossible for a GIA rated G color to display a yellow tine. All you have to do is look at the chart furnished to you on GIA.COM. You will see what I mean. It had to be the setting throwing it off. Was in set in yellow gold? Also, was there a yellow basket under the center in the Halo?

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, interesting. thanks for all your replies.

I must admit I am going to go back and have another look, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

My own e-ring is graded G/H by a local maul jeweller (way before we discovered pricescope) so who know the real grading, but it faced up whiter than this ring, my e-ring also has a yg shank - so confused.

I will look next week to see just for my own curiousity.

db

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/1/2009 1:45:06 AM
Author: D2B
Hmmm, interesting. thanks for all your replies.

I must admit I am going to go back and have another look, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

My own e-ring is graded G/H by a local maul jeweller (way before we discovered pricescope) so who know the real grading, but it faced up whiter than this ring, my e-ring also has a yg shank - so confused.

I will look next week to see just for my own curiousity.

db
I don't think it would be the YG of the shank, I have had a G colour with a YG shank of the same size and that was as white as can be, so I think there must be another reason.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
While human error on the part of GIA is possible, I''d think it''s a pretty slim possibility.

To me, the most likely culprits would be surrounding color (from walls or clothing) is influencing the stone OR the stone is of a lesser make and therefore less able to mask body color. The walls in my home office are painted an antique lace color (i.e ivory-like), and it''s amazing to me how warm this makes stones appear, especially in photographs.

It''s important to note that body color does become more noticeable as stones get larger, but I wouldn''t expect there to be such a profound difference in the .33 vs. 1.0 range, so I don''t think that''s the likely reason.

What kind of lighting did you view the stones in? If it''s the incandescent jewelers lighting, that might be it too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results