shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting close to buying a princess diamond -- Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

duhki

Rough_Rock
Hi all-

I had made one previous post and got some great feedback -- enough that it caused me to rethink my purchase, and I am happy that I have found some better diamonds. I have two that I am considering... any input at all is greatly appreciated before I make this big step.

Diamond #1
1.08 Ct
Princess Cut
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 70.0
Table: 65.0
Crown: 12.8
Sym/Pol: VG/VG
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick
Culet: None
Flourescence: None
5.68x5.63x3.9 (1.01 ratio)
GIA (June 16, 2003)
$7,800

Questions: Should there be any concerns about the 1 yr+ date of the GIA certificate for a stone this nice?

Diamond #2
1.04 Ct
Princess Cut
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 69.9
Table: 69.0
Crown: 9.2
Sym/Pol: VG/VG
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Flourescence: None
5.76x5.51x3.85 (1.05 ratio)
GIA (June 19, 2003)
$7,077

Finally, has anyone had positive or negative experiences from Mondera, The Diamond Exchange or Blue Nile?

And, Blue Nile has a fancy shape cut known as the Blue Nile Signature Ideal cut which is supposed to be a higher grade cut (or at least a diamond that fits specific proportions). Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with BN Signature Ideal cuts?

Thanks in advance for all of your input.

Jay

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
The one year old cert does not mean good or bad, but it does at least send up a warning flag. If it is a stone that is back on the market because an engagement fell through, does it now have a chip from setting or unsetting? Is it still on the market because there is just something about it that keeps getting beat out by other stones? My likely choice is that the price is a bit high. Many stones like that for less money.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Hi duhki!
I did a little search & found THIS diamond at DCD. It's a 1.08ct F VS2 5.87x5.61x3.94 for $6172. It's measurements are similar to mine & my stone's an amazing performer... DCD had a few that looked promising in your target range, if you'd like to look at some more...
1.gif

duhki

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the information. While it is not the SAME diamond, it is indeed close. The differences are F color versus E, Faint Flouressence versus none, a L-W raio of 1.05 versus 1.01, and, I am not yet sure about the Crown height of your diamond.

Now, whether or not it is worth it to me to spend $1,600 on E color, no flouressence, and a slightly better L-W ratio (assuming the crown heights are relative) is the questions. I realize that, to the naked eye, most of this may not matter, but it is indicative of the higher quality diamond and thus the higher price (even if you can't see the difference).

Good food for thought!

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/26/2004 4:27:48 PM duhki wrote:

I realize that, to the naked eye, most of this may not matter, but it is indicative of the higher quality diamond and thus the higher price (even if you can't see the difference).

----------------

GIA calls diamonds with L/W ratio from 1:1 to 1:1.05 "square" and I would call this "conservative" (they shoule be, if everyone is to agree with their saying).

And... what "quality" is that that dos not show to anyone?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results