shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem Photography

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m trying my hand at this, and need a lightbox with the relevant lighting. Anny recommendations? Thanks.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Happy New Year Harriet

Someone here a while back, did a thread with a full 'tutorial' as to how to set up a lightbox for photographing diamonds....I *think* it might have been part of his thread on SMTR...I seem to remember the info was given as a result of complimentary comments on his photogaphy skills.

I might be wrong however. Let me do a search and see if I can find it. It was quite informative.

LS

ETA: this isn't the one I'm thinking of but it's a start...http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/jewelry_photography.htm

ETA #2: here is one from Pandora's thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gem-photography.93173/

ETA #3: and here's a link from MonkeyPie: http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
im not using a light box but i experiment all the time with my stuff-im using several lights & just the digital camera-this is my spess garnet pendent under lights-your input...

forms sleeper 239.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2008 10:24:41 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Happy New Year Harriet

Someone here a while back, did a thread with a full 'tutorial' as to how to set up a lightbox for photographing diamonds....I *think* it might have been part of his thread on SMTR...I seem to remember the info was given as a result of complimentary comments on his photogaphy skills.
I think that may have been either Kenny (who was debating between a classic ACA and a new line ACA) or dhog. My money's on Kenny.
1.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Also, I have no idea how well this thing works, but I remember seeing a tabletop lightbox studio in the Skymall catalog when Mara and I were going to Houston a few years ago. Laughed my head off and said "well, they must be making these for Pricescopers!".

It actually is intended for photographing jewelry and collectibles.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102700431&c=102672393

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 10:30:09 AM
Author: Allison D.

Happy New Year Harriet

I think that may have been either Kenny (who was debating between a classic ACA and a new line ACA) or dhog. My money's on Kenny.
1.gif
There was one just recently; I will see if I can find it but it was in SMTR, LS.

eta: It was this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/van-craeynest-484-584.99732/

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 12:46:52 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 1/1/2009 10:30:09 AM

Happy New Year Harriet

Someone here a while back, did a thread with a full ''tutorial'' as to how to set up a lightbox for photographing diamonds....I *think* it might have been part of his thread on SMTR...I seem to remember the info was given as a result of complimentary comments on his photogaphy skills.
I think that may have been either Kenny (who was debating between a classic ACA and a new line ACA) or dhog. My money''s on Kenny.
1.gif
There was one just recently; I will see if I can find it but it was in SMTR, LS.

eta: It was this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/van-craeynest-484-584.99732/

Yep Skippy, you nailed it! That''s the one I was thinking of.

LS

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks. Have a happy and healthy (LS, I'm sending health dust your way) new year's! I just came back from a photography store. The only lightboxes they had used halogen, tungsten and fluorescent. I think gem folks use incandescent and fluorescent instead. So, more due diligence is in order.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
most light boxes provide to much head shadow for good gem pictures.
You better off using a background in the open then setting up lights to get the lighting right.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 9:35:02 AM
Author: m76steve
im not using a light box but i experiment all the time with my stuff-im using several lights & just the digital camera-this is my spess garnet pendent under lights-your input...
kicken and exactly what I recommend.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll try working with OTT lights first, since I don''t have a box.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
in this picture im photographing alex under multi light sources-showing two colors...

forms sleeper 242.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2009 10:34:13 AM
Also, I have no idea how well this thing works, but I remember seeing a tabletop lightbox studio in the Skymall catalog when Mara and I were going to Houston a few years ago. Laughed my head off and said ''well, they must be making these for Pricescopers!''.

It actually is intended for photographing jewelry and collectibles.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102700431&c=102672393
We just ordered the smaller one of these and I will let you know what we think of it.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
this is the light set-up im using as of now for my stuff...

forms sleeper 261.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 4:17:35 PM
Author: m76steve
in this picture im photographing alex under multi light sources-showing two colors...
Gorgeous colors, Steve. Amazing. Love those cat''s eyes. I''m wondering if it would be possible to get rid of the double reflection of your lights on the stones by using some sort of reflector?

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to eliminate the double reflection on the catseye a single light source should be used-probably applies to just about all cats-eye type of material...

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
this shot is the alex under florescent light-single source-good catseye...

forms sleeper 269.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marcy,
Do let me know.

Steve,
Thanks.

Neil,
Am I right in thinking I need both incandescent and fluorescent lights, or am I completely wrong? Thanks!

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
if one is to set up a decent light source or open light box as i have, one should have the ability to have a double light source-a flourescent & incandecent so as to view especially colored stones under just about all conditions-daylight would mimic flourescent and incandecent would mimic candlelight. candlelight is the source first used to find alexandrite, the color changed when the material was brought into the daylight and the phenomina was observed. a dual light setup can be used on all gems, in that all gems do react to different light sources in one way or another. black light is also handy to have in reserve on certain gems. these sources are not expensive or fussy in their setup-another tool to help one thru the hobby...

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
yes! you are correct to have the two light sources at a mimimum-other light sources can be added any time & for low cost. its amazing what mother nature hides just over the edge when one uses the right tools to identify gems-almost like dna...

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Don't forget about white balance when using various light sources.
In person our brains quickly compensate for the different color of light sources.
A camera is not as smart and it does what it is told.
That is why we see many pics of D-colored diamonds here that look more yellow than many J I K colored diamonds.

Scroll up in this thread, to see m76steve's two pics of the same piece of jewelry taken with two different light sources.
(They were posted at 20 and 22 minutes past the hour, and are right next to each other.)
Notice the jewelry and the background look a different color?
One looks more pinkish and the other more blueish.
If the camera's white balance setting was set each time for the type of light used the pics would show no color difference.
(Fluorescent light sources are usually larger which can result in a different look but I'm just focusing on color here.)

Many lower priced cameras "set" white balance automatically but do a poor job.
Look in your camera's manual to see if you can set white balance yourself.
Avoid using two different sources, like daylight from a window and a light bulb.
The camera's white-balance setting can only bet set to one kind of light.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/1/2009 10:39:04 PM
Author: Moh 10
Don''t forget about white balance when using various light sources.
In person our brains quickly compensate for the different color of light sources.
A camera is not as smart and it does what it is told.
That is why we see many pics of D-colored diamonds here that look more yellow than many J I K colored diamonds.

Scroll up in this thread, to see m76steve''s two pics of the same piece of jewelry taken with two different light sources.
(They were posted at 20 and 22 minutes past the hour, and are right next to each other.)
Notice the jewelry and the background look a different color?
One looks more pinkish and the other more blueish.
If the camera''s white balance setting was set each time for the type of light used the pics would show no color difference.
(Fluorescent light sources are usually larger which can result in a different look but I''m just focusing on color here.)

Many lower priced cameras ''set'' white balance automatically but do a poor job.
Look in your camera''s manual to see if you can set white balance yourself.
Avoid using two different sources, like daylight from a window and a light bulb.
The camera''s white-balance setting can only bet set to one kind of light.
Agreed Moh, the manual operations on most cameras have easy to use formats with little images of light globes, tubes etc.

Also some more tips - consider using a light grey bcakground rather than white.
And NEVER EVER think more light is good. All you need is enough to get a sharp image if you are holding the camer by hand.
In addition to using the flood lit methods in most of the excellent set ups provided above - consider using a small enlight torch (or posibbly an LED torch) to get a highligh sprkle ;-)

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 11:16:53 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Also some more tips - consider using a light grey bcakground rather than white.

And NEVER EVER think more light is good. All you need is enough to get a sharp image if you are holding the camer by hand.

In addition to using the flood lit methods in most of the excellent set ups provided above - consider using a small enlight torch (or posibbly an LED torch) to get a highligh sprkle ;-)
Garry those sound like good suggestions. I think a gray background shows off the subject better. However after looking at edl''s photos I''m thinking you need more light than is simply required for a sharp image so you can drop the aperture size for sufficient depth of field so the entire piece is in focus.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I attended a session given by Robert Weldon, mgr of photography at GIA. He is a very pleasant guy who has captured, arguably, some of the most memorable diamond and gemstone images.

I kept notes and have found them very useful when taking my own photos. I hope some are useful to you as well - Several are in-line with the feedback you have received already.

STUDIO
At least a 10x10x10 ft darkened area
Sturdy tripod
Open stage, cocoon or box system

LIGHTING
Continuous lighting
A three-point lighting system is good as a basic setup, but you can add light
Diffused light works well for transparent stones
Direct light works well for solid materials
For “Phenomenal Stones” (glamour shots) use fiber-optic/pin point lighting or daylight equivalent incandescent, or a combination of direct and diffused lighting
Diffuse as necessary...experiment
- Diffuse with photo umbrellas, art paper or plastic (test plastics at store first b/c some transmit red)
- Fiber-optic can be used with filter jells or without

BACKGROUND MATERIALS
You can find anywhere; art supply store, junkyard, etc.
Transparent and light gems look best on a dark background
Dark gems look best on a light background
Experiment with tiles, metals, surfaces
One favorite is a flat panel made of ground glass (non-glare) with white underneath, plexiglass or parachute cloth (JoAnnes Fabrics)

SETUP
Orient the stone: Find it’s best “face forward”
Hold a ring in place using beeswax - Place a loose gem on its pavilion
Diffuse light as necessary to avoid hotspots
Clean the subject and surfaces with a tiny brush
Shoot from slightly above tilting down
Keep the plane of the lens parallel to the plane of the stone’s table facet
Diffuse from several sides (3-point lighting system), experiment with lighting - always experiment

SHOOTING
Adjust the camera for white balance - always
Adjust F-Stop for preferred depth of field
- Usually f-stops of 16-22 work with continuous lighting and a tripod
- Some lenses have F30+ but it’s not necessarily better as greater F-Stops will put inclusions on one “plane”
- Each lens has a “sweet spot”
Experiment with exposure settings (2 seconds at f-22 may be over, 1/125 may be under, etc)
If you see the reflection of the camera in the subject...turn the subject

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results