shape
carat
color
clarity

G vs. H for cushion cut diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reena

Ideal_Rock
I am considering an approximately 2 carat cushion or similar cut diamond. I would rather take a somewhat lower color grade and get a larger stone--but how low should I go? I wouldn''t want to be able to see any yellow tinge with the naked eye. Is there really going to be a significant difference between, say, a G and an H?

eyesoftexas

Shiny_Rock
Everyone'e eys are different but when I was looking at very large stones (>2ct) that were mounted in Platinum I could not tell the difference between even an F and H (from the top). When I tried looking through the side of the stone with a white card I did notice a slight difference but it was so slight that I could not see paying extra at that point.

reena

Ideal_Rock
That's sort of what I figured. Anyone else have an opinion?

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought an H color Jubilee with MB flour. I couldn't see any difference between it and the G color Jubilee it was next to.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
you don't want me to answer b/c I'll make you spend more money...hehehehehe
11.gif
I am definitely in the minority...but then again, I don't look at a lot of rounds, just princess stones which tend to hold more color...I do imagine the cushion would be more like a princess and radiant re: showing color than a round? Dunno. I vote G. I can see color and even the SLIGHTEST tint through the pavillion drives me crazy....Every person is different!

reena

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so it seems like the best thing to do is for me to look at some stones in person and see if I can tell a difference between a G and an H. But just generally, a G or H color seems to be pretty standard, right? I assume it isn't going to be noticeably "yellow".

What about clarity? My feeling right now sort of is, if I can't see it, I don't care that much. I realize everyone is different on this, but I think for me, I'd rather have a bigger, better cut VS1 or 2 diamond than pay a huge premuim for a clarity difference that can only be seen under magnification. Am I off base here?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

I recently saw a 3.04 cushion, G color and it was very beautiful, not a hint of "color". To be fair, however, this was set in a antique bezel setting--where I could not see the stone from side angles. But it was a beauty nonetheless.

slb

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
An H is still going face up pretty white, assuming it's properly graded. I wouldn't worry.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Great. Also, it's funny that you say that--I am looking to set it in an antique bezel setting.
21.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
especially if you're going bezel...go for the H!!!! You can get a bigger stone....and in any event, an H would never appear yellow...!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, the platinum setting was very beautiful--with 1.5 CTW diamonds microset in the bezel and band--to die for really. Very popular setting these days--combines old world charm with the updated microsetting. I wanted it!!!!!
21.gif
3.gif

slb

reena

Ideal_Rock
this is becoming rather eerie, but that sounds exactly like what i want. was this a custom setting? if not, would you mind telling me where you saw it?

thanks!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, this was a custom setting. The ring is at Brinkhaus Jewellers in Calgary, AB, Canada--the city where I live. They have a website, but I doubt it that ring is shown there, but if you were to email them I think they could download some pics.
However this style can be seen in many magazines--Tacori and Micheal B come to mind. If you do a search on this site, you may be able to find some recent pics posted by Valeria101 (Ana) showcasing colored stones. Some antique looking mounts were present.

Happy searching.

Sharon

reena

Ideal_Rock
thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the must be very few mortals judging that "G" color grade as tinted from any possible angles. And in a bezel, it would really only count what the stone looks like face up. I really think you cannot go wrong down to I color.

Clarity is harder to judge from words (such as names of the grades) alone - even if the size of inclusions is determined for each clarity grade, every stone is a case apart. I would look down to SI2 with no hesitation, but "look" is the key word - these stones have to be seen to judge whether the clarity is ok with you or not. While VS2 is safer, it would be a shame, I think, to overlook a beautifully cut diamond because the clarity grade sounds less attractive on paper alone. SI1 is definitely a good "place" to look, I would think.

read.gif

Now... down THIS LINK reside a few very nice cushion cuts graded from J/VS to D/I1 and inbetween. It is not feasible to tell faint color shades that well from pictures, but side-by-side ones would help. Also, the range of shapes amkes a good example for the variety that gets the "cushion" name ( I just hope DAvid will not hate this post!) Worth taking a look, just for info
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
Thanks--that sounds like good advice.

I'm wondering whether there are other factors that people consider when deciding whether to purchase a lower vs. a higher clarity stone that might not be readily apparent to me? That is, if it's eyeclean, why wouldn't everyone purchase an SI2? There must be something I'm not considering.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results