shape
carat
color
clarity

G or F color diamond for a yellow gold setting

diamondsearch101

Rough_Rock
Hey guys my gf insist on going yellow gold for the setting (for the prongs also), I have always wanted to get a colorless diamond, but with the size I am looking for its a little stretch on the budget. Would you guys go F or G in this situation. Also in general would you guys go F/si1 or G/vs2, if both are excellent cuts? In general my budget is 15k, what do you think I can get for that and what should I be looking at?

Thanks!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Depends on what type of setting will this be for- 3 stone, halo, solitare?

Really color and clarity pend on you and your GF. How sensative is she to color? I personally like lowered colors so I'm fine going down all the way to N/O/P if I can go larger. As for clarity I'm fine as long as it is eye clean, I don't care if I can see inclusions with a 10x or 30x loupe. No one but a PSer actually walk around with those.

Also price will depend on shape. I'm assuming you are looking at MRB?

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Who graded the diamonds?

Have you seen them in person? I'd be really surprised if you could tell the difference between an F and a G.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I'll go for biggest GIA XXX / AGS Ideal eye clean SI1 G, with or without fluor =)

diamondsearch101

Rough_Rock
The Setting is a solitaire 6 prong yellow gold. I want to go Si1, but how do I know if its eye clean. I am leaning to buy online and a lot of these websites do not have images of the diamond. Also for the cut, its hard to find an ideal diamond with perfect depth and table etc.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size diamond are you after, and is that the budget for the stone only or the whole ring? Give everyone the specs and you will get options to pick from. People recommend amazing stones all the time and settings that are within budgets.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
diamondsearch101|1380808661|3531444 said:
The Setting is a solitaire 6 prong yellow gold. I want to go Si1, but how do I know if its eye clean. I am leaning to buy online and a lot of these websites do not have images of the diamond. Also for the cut, its hard to find an ideal diamond with perfect depth and table etc.

I'm not sure how it is hard to find. If you are looking at trusted vendors they are giving you lap reports (GIA/ AGL) which give all that information. Run it thorugh HCA and get an asset or idealscope. If you are looking at websites that don't have images of the actual diamonds then go someplace else.

diamondsearch101

Rough_Rock
The 15k is just for the diamond. I am looking for something around 1.5-1.7, Sorry for all the questions, but what are the trusted vendors and how can i get an idealscope done on them? I been looking at b2c and blue nile. I mean I been looking at the gia reports, how can you tell from the report if it is eye clean.

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
diamondsearch101|1380811215|3531474 said:
The 15k is just for the diamond. I am looking for something around 1.5-1.7, Sorry for all the questions, but what are the trusted vendors and how can i get an idealscope done on them? I been looking at b2c and blue nile. I mean I been looking at the gia reports, how can you tell from the report if it is eye clean.

You want to see pictures/video of the diamond and work with a vendor that will provide Idealscope images or ASET. That means not working with B2C or Blue Nile. Check out some of the Pricescope preferred vendors like James Allen, Good Old Gold, Brian Gavin, or Whiteflash.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Six prong solitaire settings normally have platinum or white gold prongs even if the band/shank is yellow or rose gold. I really think it is a mistake to make the prongs yellow gold. The tips of those prongs will reflect in the stone, and that is why white metals are usually used for prongs. Plus, platinum is less brittle than gold and doesn't wear away like gold does, so it is better for prongs. Perhaps she doesn't realize these factors.

I personally would go with VS2 regardless of the color. G is a good choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results