shape
carat
color
clarity

G cushion halo surrounded by F pave band/halo

cushionsmakemecrazy

Rough_Rock
so i got the ring back, and like it, but... i noticed the center stone (a GIA-rated G) seems more yellow-tinted than i expected. the setting is white gold and the halo and pave band are f color. wasn't expecting there to be such a noticeable difference since it's only one color grade away. am i just being too picky? unable to capture the difference in a picture, so maybe if it's that slight i'm just being a primadonna? is it common to exactly match the center and band stones for this reason? thanks.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Usually you are safe going up to 2 color grades difference without noticing a difference. Can you try to post a picture? Do you only see the color difference from certain angles?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
cushionsmakemecrazy|1360251496|3374394 said:
so i got the ring back, and like it, but... i noticed the center stone (a GIA-rated G) seems more yellow-tinted than i expected. the setting is white gold and the halo and pave band are f color. wasn't expecting there to be such a noticeable difference since it's only one color grade away. am i just being too picky? unable to capture the difference in a picture, so maybe if it's that slight i'm just being a primadonna? is it common to exactly match the center and band stones for this reason? thanks.

Well anything other than rounds shows more color. If it's a G though, you should really only be able to see it from the side view...Where'd you get it from? Is there a return policy? A picture would help us see what you're talking about.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd imagine if you're really color sensitive and the stone is on the cusp between G/H and the melee is high F/bordering on D you might be able to see a difference. Please post a photo if you can. The bottom line is that if it bothers you, I'd discuss it with the jeweler and see if it can be remedied.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire|1360265084|3374576 said:
I'd imagine if you're really color sensitive and the stone is on the cusp between G/H and the melee is high F/bordering on D you might be able to see a difference. Please post a photo if you can. The bottom line is that if it bothers you, I'd discuss it with the jeweler and see if it can be remedied.
I'm sorry you're dealing with something like this & aren't 100% thrilled with the ring. Yennyfire's right, if you see a difference and it bothers you (which it apparently does), then you should definitely talk with the jeweler to come up w/ a resolution.

Since the melee is so much smaller than the center stone, they are going to face up quite white. And, as Yenny points out, there can be ranges within each color grade, so if you have a center stone that's a "low" G vs a "high" G it will tend to show a tad more warmth (although still very very slight) than the "high" G. I'd bet that the only reason you really notice it is because there are smaller, whiter melee sitting against it. In general, a G stone in a solitaire setting is very white.

Your best bet is to work w/ the jeweler and see what they suggest. The reason we're suggesting that you not ignore this is because usually the little things that bother us about our newly purchased jewelry don't go away over time. The things we don't like actually seem to get worse (& more apparent) the longer we wear the item. Let us know how it comes out okay?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results