shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence experts please post some pic of...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a hazy, milky, oily, over blue stone. My Octavia is graded VSB and I have no idea what negative effects (if any) would look like under strong direct sun light... :confused: the stone glows to a very light blue tint but still sparkles like crazy under direct sun light.. :love:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen this video Jon made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKDshYGBdko

eta: My 0.74ct D SI1 rb has sbf. Although when I bought it I was told by the vendor there were no ill effects, I do think it goes a bit hazy in direct sun. I don't have very good pics to show it, but it sure isn't as crisp and clear as my non-fluor stones. But I still enjoy the effect!

img_5935.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Per Garry this one is slightly hazy. You can sorta see the effect that is looks a bit like a steamy mirror.
Garry_Flour_2_rings.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1414593511|3774421 said:
Per Garry this one is slightly hazy. You can sorta see the effect that is looks a bit like a steamy mirror.
Garry_Flour_2_rings.jpg
Nope, it doesn't look like Dave's stone. I guess we can rule out haziness. . :bigsmile:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, did you know or expect the stone to have fluorescence? I'm thinking you didn't - not sure how you feel about it overall.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1414616384|3774629 said:
DF, did you know or expect the stone to have fluorescence? I'm thinking you didn't - not sure how you feel about it overall.
Yes, I knew it will have SB fluor ,but I don't know what to look for or how it supposed to look under the sun.. . :oops:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seriously doubt there is a problem with it from the fluorescence. I am sure that Jonathan would have told you if there were.

Many pictures on PS of fluorescence. The ones I remember most are in sunlight where some of the stones have an almost violet hue to them but it certainly doesn't impede clarity.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received this Email from Jon concerning to the VSB fluor ...

What you're describing sounds normal. And yep ... I did check it for overblue/haze. I can see it quite clearly in diamonds that have it when I'm inspecting under our spotlight conditions. You have a real honey.

No problems whatsoever with yours. It's nothing short of amazing and a great example of what GIA was talking about in their study on the subject.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think he would've IMMEDIATELY told you if there was any negative impact. I wish I could see that thing in person because i bet it is in-sane.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1414626812|3774716 said:
I knew it will have SB fluor ,but I don't know what to look for or how it supposed to look under the sun.. . :oops:

IIRC, Mrs. DF has a round diamond.
If hers has no, or low, fluor examine them both side by side outside under direct sun.

Both will of course reflect lots of the blue sky, but look for any difference, such as oily or milky, or even any additional blue glow because of your VSB fluor.
I had a GIA med-blue fluor asscher and could not detect ANY difference when next to a no-fluro diamond under a clear blue sunny sky.

I suspect under sunlight they DO fluoresce blue BUT the reflection of the bright blue sky is so much brighter than the fluorescent glow that it overpowers the fluorescence ... much like standing in front of a loud blaring speaker column at a rock concert and trying to hear someone 10 feet away whispering to you.

I agree that if Jon said it is fine then it is fine ... and I'm probably the most non-trusting, cynical, skeptic, grumpy old man on earth.
I implicitly trust Jon's competence, education, experience, and honesty, even when lots of this miser's hard earned money is at stake.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1414637629|3774802 said:
Dancing Fire|1414626812|3774716 said:
I knew it will have SB fluor ,but I don't know what to look for or how it supposed to look under the sun.. . :oops:

IIRC, Mrs. DF has a round diamond.
If hers has no, or low, fluor examine them both side by side outside under direct sun.

Both will of course reflect lots of the blue sky, but look for any difference, such as oily or milky, or even any additional blue glow because of your VSB fluor.
I had a GIA med-blue fluor asscher and could not detect ANY difference when next to a no-fluro diamond under a clear blue sunny sky.

I suspect under sunlight they DO fluoresce blue BUT the reflection of the bright blue sky is so much brighter than the fluorescent glow that it overpowers the fluorescence ... much like standing in front of a loud blaring speaker column at a rock concert and trying to hear someone 10 feet away whispering to you.

I agree that if Jon said it is fine then it is fine ... and I'm probably the most non-trusting, cynical, skeptic, grumpy old man on earth.
I implicitly trust Jon's competence, education, experience, and honesty, even when lots of this miser's hard earned money is at stake.
when I get a chance I'll compare the Octavia with her non fluor RB stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results