shape
carat
color
clarity

Fake tiffany hallmark on ring setting?

knkn

Rough_Rock
Hey guys i'm interested in buying this classic tiffany setting. The setting looks legit, the only thing concerning me is the tiffany and co hallmark as it looks different to all the tiffany and co hallmarks i've seen on the classic setting. The ones i normally see have a copyright symbol beforehand and are a different size/font. Could this just be an older version or is it a fake?

Ive attached the photos so you can see the hallmarks, what do you guys think?

screen_shot_2012-12-04_at_11.png

screen_shot_2012-12-04_at_0.png

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
where's the stone from that ring anyway??? Separating the 2 wasn't a smart idea, whosever it is. I just looked inside my 3 Tiff rings and they don't look like that hallmark. Can you just get it verified at Tiffanys if you really want to know. But, putting another stone in it won't make it a Tiffany engagement ring. What happened to the ring you were pursuing a few months back? It sounded like you were all set, no?

RhinoDiva

Rough_Rock
Trade
I can't say for sure, but I have doubts about it ....

Do you see the fine lines on the inside of the shank? That's from sanding the inside of the shank and not doing a great polishing job. Firstly, Tiffany always does a great polishing job. If it's been used though perhaps the original owners took it to a jeweller who didn't bother to do a great polishing job. The inside of the shank should be just as reflective and mirror finish as the outside of the shank.

Can you post a close up pic of the setting so that we can see a side view of the prongs? I can tell you if a seat has been cut and the setting was used for a diamond/gemstone previously. If the setting doesn't have a seat for the stone then it was never used. If the setting does have a seat for the stone you'll have to buy a new setting as diamonds/gemstones are all unique and have different angles so it's really not advisable to try to re-use a setting with a different stone. You'd risk loosing the stone and I don't know any jewellers, myself included, that would actually do that.

Hope that helps! :)

P.S. I was trained by the head stone setting instructor for Tiffany & Co so I know what to look for.

knkn

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't contact ebay because you really have no idea whether it is real or not. But the fact is, a good repro of that ring costs $1800+ (Vatche U-113), so if the price goes low enough, it could be a good buy regardless.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1354596695|3321987 said:
I wouldn't contact ebay because you really have no idea whether it is real or not. But the fact is, a good repro of that ring costs $1800+ (Vatche U-113), so if the price goes low enough, it could be a good buy regardless.

For a platinum tiffany repo I think the price that's posted is a great deal!!! It's hard to find a 14kt white gold setting like this for around that price! I say go for it, if you're really interested!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That doesn't look real at all.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It MAY be real. If you get it and it's not, then you can just return it for a refund because it's not as described- the seller has 100%, albeit on a small number of transactions.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea I am not at all convinced this is real. In my Tiffany rings the stamps are not squished, at all. In this listing from the OP it's squished and there is nothing indicating any size of stone. There's just a lot that looks "off."

Look at THESE hallmarks compared to the one in the listing the OP is checking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-Platinum-0-61ct-H-VS1-Round-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-/160933853899?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item257867bacb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIFFANY-CO-PLATINUM-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-RING-1-39ct-I-VVS2-/300821728379?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item460a5f4c7b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-Co-PLAT-Diamond-Channel-Set-Engagement-Ring-76Ct-I-VS1-/220956162180?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3372037884

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have some Tiffany silver pieces and I just checked the mark and they look nothing like this one. So I'm lead to believe it is fake but still a good selling price.

If you are looking for authentic Tiffany's I don't know your budget but JbEG has a Tiffany solitare right now (setting only) for sale.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
It certainly looks weird...did the seller give any explanation about the missing stone?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the "Tiffany & Co" hallmark is fake why would I believe that the metal is really platinium? Also it could be the angle but it almost looks like it was sized by adding a piece-there is a strange line to the right.

RhinoDiva

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sorry, but after reading the eBay auction the seller is either completely ignorant or full of it.

"This is pre-owned but in excellent condition."
No, it's not in excellent condition. The polish on the inside of the ring is poor. IF it is an authentic Tiffany mounting the owner took it to a less skilled jeweller for a clean and polish. Perhaps that's why the trademark looks off, the non-Tiffany jeweller could have polished out the hallmark and this could be their homemade solution.

"This setting is originally for a 1 CT Round Diamond but will fit a .75 to 1.25 CT Round Diamond (diamond not included) if needed."
Sorry, but no. You can't re-use a setting. The shank, yes. But the actual setting is cut to fit the stone exactly. No two diamonds are alike,
so the setting part of this ring won't fit anything than the diamond that was originally set in it. If you still want to buy it you have two choices: 1 - buy a new brand new setting and have it soldered in (but then you lose part of the Tiffany aspect, assuming it's real) 2- have a full re-prong done on all prongs (but this is where a jeweller will solder on wire beneath the bearings and carve into the prong shape and then set as if it's a new setting ... this option might be as expensive as just buying a new setting, the top of the setting is getting replaced anyway so you're again losing some of the Tiffany aspect, and finally this will make it more difficult/expensive to have regular retips done down the track).

The total weight of this ring is approximately 3.9 grams.
Also odd, most jewellers would list the pennyweight for platinum, not grams. In case you're curious, if they were to sell this mounting for scrap to a refiner they would be paid approximately $113.42

"Stamped on the inside of the ring is "Tiffany & Co PT 950." We are a jeweler that has been in business for over 30 years."
They might be jewellery retailers, but they're not actual bench or manufacturing jewellers otherwise their language and claims would be completely different ... unless they're just flat out dishonest.

I get bad vibes from this ... for what it's worth I would steer clear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results