shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts Unite...a cry for help

readysetgo

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescopers,

So after an exhaustive search, I've narrowed the what seems like every diamond on the internet down to 2. I found 2 stones on Bluenile that had excellect HCA scores of 1.0 and 1.3 respectively (and more importantly within my modest budget). They are very similar in spec and price. Since Bluenile doesn't provide pictures, I contacted their gemologist and they came back with the following report. Given the specs and the gemologist comments, which would be a better choice? Are there other questions I should be asking? A million thanks for your help.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-i-color-si2-clarity_LD02531092- The gemologist has reported that this diamond is eye clean. It has a small hairline inclusion on the table and black inclusions in crown that reflect in the table.

Stock number: LD02531092
Price: $1,868
Bank wire price: $1,840
Price per carat: $2,669
Carat weight: 0.70
Cut: Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: SI2
Depth %: 61.0%
Table %: 57%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium
Measurements: 5.74 x 5.70 x 3.49 mm

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-i-color-si2-clarity_LD02563448
- The gemologist has reported that this diamond is eye clean. There is a small black inclusion in the table but it is not eye visible.

Stock number: LD02563448
Price: $1,952
Bank wire price: $1,923
Price per carat: $2,789
Carat weight: 0.70
Cut: Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: SI2
Depth %: 60.9%
Table %: 58%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.71 x 5.73 x 3.48 mm

readysetgo

Rough_Rock
I know these proabably aren't the most exciting stones in the shed, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Would you guys be concerned about the black inclusions?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot comment as to the inclusions and if it would be truly eye clean to you (what is Blue Nile's official definition of eye clean anyway?) but I like that the first stone has medium fluorescence. That might make the I appear whiter. Did you ask the gemologist to make sure that there are no negative effects from the fluorescence (just to make sure as I think there is very small if any chance for negative effects from medium fl).

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think either is fine, but I suggest having it shipped loose to you to check if it is eye clean before you decide to set the stone.

readysetgo

Rough_Rock
I think eye clean typically mean 6-8 inches. I went back for additional clarification and their recomendation was was to go with the one with the black inclusions on the crown, because even though it's being reflected on the table, it would be harder to notice than the one with the black inclusion on the table. I wish there were no black inclusions at all, but based on my parameters, these were the only ones I could fine in the price range that had a great HCA score. This is so hard. :(

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain! Having a tight budget and wanting the most for it is hard, and believe me every PSer is looking for the most bang for their buck. I agree with Dreamer and think that you should have the stone sent to you unset and take a look for yourself to make sure that it's an inclusion that you can live with. Believe me it's much easier to part with a loose diamond that your not completely happy with than with a finished ring that you can wear and hope that you can live with because you don't want to be ringless for any longer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results