shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity band: Brian Gavin vs WhiteFlash vs local shop

chelseanewcar

Rough_Rock
Howdy! I am getting my wife a 10 stone, 20 points each, half-ish eternity band for our ten year anniversary. I can't decide between Brian Gavin, WhiteFlash, and a local jeweler. All rings are 18k white gold. The specs for the rings and prices are as follows:

Brain Gavin: Brian Gavin Signature hearts and arrows, U-prong half eternity, I, SI1, $5500
White Flash: A Cut Above hearts and arrows, Kimberly band, F-G color, VS2, $5325
Local jeweler: hearts and arrows (unknown maker), U-prong half eternity, G, VS2, $5700

Brian Gavin's stones come with a certificate and images (ASET, ideal scope, etc) and that is why they say theirs are more expensive. They also say their H&A stones are the better than other H&A. My local jeweler says his H&A are "the best of the best" and I kind of want to use him since I used him for our engagement ring, but I don't want to overpay or get an inferior product.

Are all H&A equivalent? Is is worth paying more for BG stones since they come with a certificate (AGS)? Are BG H&A stones actually better than others? What about WF stones compared to BG? Can I trust my local jeweler that his H&A stones are just as good as BG stones?

Thanks for all the help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't buy any of them. LOL. But of those choices the WF option is the best. But you can do better.

I'd call IDJ and get a quote for "PS quality stones" in F/G VS (tell them PS sent you). It will blow the others away on price. And in 20 pointers you REALLY don't need perfect hearts and arrows. It will be gorgeous. You can't even see the hearts when the stone is set. And IDJ's stones will have arrows.

What is your lady's finger size BTW? And is this a standalone band or one worn with her engagement ring. And if its the later what size is her engagement ring?

That is from someone who has owned many BGD Signature Hearts and Arrows stones.

I'm planning on eventually getting a 7 stone with 25 points each. I have a 6.5 finger. And that's half eternity on my finger. And it would be a stand alone band for me. And of all the PS vendors that I have to chose from, IDJ is who I am going to work with.

Are you stuck on the ten stones thing because it's your ten year?

chelseanewcar

Rough_Rock
Her ring size is 5.25 and yes I am getting 10 stones because it's our 10 yr anniversary. The renderings I've seen of the ring show that it will be a little more than a half eternity. This will be a stand alone band as her e-ring is not very nice and this is meant to replace it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it's meant to replace it, I would advise you to maybe think about doing a five stone with larger stones. 20 pointers aren't really that big at all. And you are spending a very decent amount. 35 pointers at F/G VS should run about 700 each (that is for GIA 3X stones). So that's 3500 for the stones. 1400 for a nice platinum 5 stone setting. So if 5500 is your budget, this gives her a MUCH more impressive impression for a ten year anniversary present, across the top of her finger where it counts. You can even go up to 40 pointers.

I would go for a nice trellis setting if it's a standalone. And IDJ can do that for you easily.

Alternately, you can go for a graduated 5 stone. Which would be a lovely standalone, unique, and more of a 'replacement' look.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the look (this finger size is smaller than your wife's but 35 pointers would be a little bigger and you could even do 40 pointers) in terms of stone size: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-d-jewelry-5-stone-ring.142391/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-d-jewelry-5-stone-ring.142391/[/URL]

Graduated five stone, this is the look. This is a larger finger than your lady, so you can do smaller stone (like a 65 point center) in the center for her, and still be in budget if you went with H Vs stones.

uploadfromtaptalk1377872326054.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377872358614.jpg

Trellis setting:

Graduated:
img_10884.jpg
Not graduated:

5400r18-12.jpg

6e9598b37481adbc8bd30e13cb5b15b2.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had the money I would go with Whiteflash. Their stones are beautiful and they are super people to work with.

I do have an I'd jewelry 7 stone and it is lovely. Cost wise it will certainly be the best deal. You need to tell them you want h&a VS pricescope quality stones.

I also own a small BGD stone. Nice stones too.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would go with Whiteflash. Their ACA are gorgeous diamonds and well worth the money. They have excellent customer service.

Marcy

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also recommend a 5 stone band of around 30 pointers instead, and I would use Whiteflash. I'd want their quality diamonds at that size (or any size, really). I'd do a straight band of all the same size.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on 10 years!

I love my ACA's. Hubby got me a shared prong half eternity from WF and I love it!

Here is the link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/10th-anniversary-half-eternity-by-whiteflash.222852/

My E-Ring is a BGD Blue diamond and that is a firecracker. My mother can't get over how much it sparkles. My BGD Blue is certainly not a wall flower. 8-)

I have some small bezel set studs from IDJ and they are sparkly, but not consistent in appearance for my taste. I would use IDJ again, but I can't say that the stones I received are ideal cut. I did ask for PS Quality diamonds, but I can certainly tell the difference between my ACA's and the diamonds I received from IDJ.

I went with WF because of quality, reputation and price.

Good luck with your decision :)

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
I would also recommend a 5 stone band of around 30 pointers instead, and I would use Whiteflash. I'd want their quality diamonds at that size (or any size, really). I'd do a straight band of all the same size.

+1

Q

Queenie60

I agree with Gypsy - contact Yekutiel at IDJ and he can make a beautiful ring within your budget. All vendors recommended by the other posters are great and will make a beautiful ring for you. I always recommend IDJ because I've worked with them and am happy with my jewelry. Great quality and reasonably priced. Good luck - I hope find the perfect ring for your wife. :wavey:

chelseanewcar

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the wonderful advice!!! But you are making it so much harder on me now with this other option! haha.

I thought I liked the eternity band look but now I am looking at 5 stone rings too and really like them ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/page-5']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/page-5[/URL]).

The eternity bands are still amazing though and I think I am leaning this way still ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-eternity-bands.51825/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-diamond-eternity-bands.51825/[/URL])

Any other thoughts on who to get stones from? And if I should get a 10 stone eternity or a 5 stone ring?

Thanks so much!!

773dianeb

Rough_Rock
I would go for the larger diamonds. I have 9 - 32 pt stones in a platinum band and it has great finger coverage and I have large fingers. It has such a presence across my finger. My fiancé paid just a bit more than your price range of the sample rings around $5,500 for a total of a 2.88 ct. and it is set in a platinum band. This was from a local Chicago jeweler but I'm sure ID can do something beautiful in your price range.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
All good advice. I don't think you will go wrong with either BGD or WF. Posters are saying that WF ACA's are beautiful, that is true. Please remember than Brian of BGD used to work for WF and is the designer of their ACA. I have to assume that their competitive product is just as nice so I would not knock BGD out, but as I said earlier, both will be quite nice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something to consider. May not make a difference to you one way or the other but... A smaller 10 stone like you were looking at will
be a more low-key look. A 5 stone with 30/40s will be a bigger look. If she will no longer wear her ering then you may want the
bigger look (unless this look will be too much for where you live).

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i like the idea of the 5 stone ring as well. Does she have a wedding band she will be wearing with this potential ring? could you maybe do a set? a 5 stone to replace the e-ring and a small, lower ctw 10 stone wedding band marking the significance of the 10yr anniversary? Just a thought... you may be able to get a set with your budget if you go with IDJ and don't do platinum.

Or if you think of going down that route.... a new solitaire e-ring with a 9 stone anniversary band to = 10 stones. You could even do an upgrade of her e-ring in a simple solitaire and next year for the 11th, get an 11 stone ring.

i know, you didn't ask for alternate options, just throwing it out there. My DH upgraded my e-ring last year for our 15th. i had a very small diamond before and not really a setting i loved. He splurged on the setting, one i have coveted for a while and it made me one happy woman!

chelseanewcar

Rough_Rock
I appreciate all the alternative ideas and they made it really hard to choose, but I think I am going with the 10 stone half eternity because she doesn't like to be too flashy and I'm afraid a wider 5 stone might be too flashy for her tastes (though they are gorgeous and if I was her that is what I would want to wear!)

Now I just need to decide who to go with...

I heard back from IDJ and their quote is by far the cheapest, but I'm concerned that their stones might not sparkle as much as BG or WF H&A. To review the prices and specks for 10 stone, 20 pts each, 18kt WG U-prong:

Brain Gavin: Brian Gavin Signature hearts and arrows, I, SI1, $5500
White Flash: A Cut Above hearts and arrows, F-G, VS2, $5325
Local jeweler: "hearts and arrows" (unknown maker) G, VS2, $5700
IDJ: "Excellent cut hand-selected diamonds", F-G, SI, $2680.00

IDJ is half the price! But they didn't mention H&A in their cut description. Since these are "custom" designs they are not returnable so it's so hard to make this decision without seeing them in person.

Any thoughts/opinions on who to go with?

You guys have been super helpful and this community is so helpful for novices like me!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have worked with the top 2 vendors you listed above and my personal preference is for WF. Good luck in your decision! :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash would also be my choice.

In one of my previous post I told you that you needed to ask ID Jewelry for H&A stones to make it closer to apples vs apples.

You need to tell them you want h&a VS pricescope quality stones.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would narrow it down to WF and IDJ.

Me, personally, I love my uncerted IDJ melee 5 stone ring, and they hold their own next to my BGD super ideal solitaire. I would rather get two IDJ bands over 1 WF band, but that's me - I'm a bling hoarder :naughty: :lol:

chelseanewcar

Rough_Rock
My local jeweler is trying to be competitive and is offering me D/E, SI1 stones for $5800. That is about $500 more than than WF F/G, VS2 stones. I imagine in stones this small, the difference between SI1 and VS2 will be negligible so I am ok going going to the lower quality there.

But the color difference between D/E and E/F might be noticeable so I am leaning towards the local jeweler. I enjoy working with him and I want to work with him in the future.

Will I notice the color difference and is worth paying more for it?

Thanks again all you experts for the insights!

Q

Queenie60

I don't feel that the color difference would be noticeable. If you go with your local jeweler, be sure that you have excellent cut stones as to get the sparkle you want. Color does not dictate sparkle - the cut is KING

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The biggest thing that will make that stone stand out is cut. Not color. Not clarity. Your local guy needs to demonstrate to YOU the cut characteristics in the D-E stones, otherwise those D-E stones would be a deal breaker for me. My fear for you is that he may be upping the color & dropping the cut quality. & how would you know the difference?

The best tool is an ASET & Ideal-Scope on an AGS certed stone to help you determine cut. Thats the only way you can truly determine exactly what quality he is selling in those D-E stones!

Plus I'm one that would prefer the bigger stones, as diamonds grow smaller the longer we have them. :bigsmile: You can get an eternity with larger stones for your 20th! (I'd prefer the 5 stone now.) Congratulations on 10 years, no small feat! :appl:

FWIW, we bought our 20th Anniv. eternity from WF, the ACA diamonds are really gorgeous IMHO.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-eternity-ring-arrived.181339/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-eternity-ring-arrived.181339/[/URL]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask IDJ for hearts and arrow melee. And go with them.

5000 is WAY too much for 10 20 pointers. Like OMFG too much.

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
Just putting it out there....has your wife always said she doesn't want to be flashy as she has an e-ring that you have said isn't very nice and it's her way of not hurting feelings??? Would she actually really like a more substantial replacement for her e-ring? Is this something that is worth asking her? I don't want to step on toes and if course you know your partner best after 10 years.

I'm receiving a new ring for my 10 year anniversary too. My husband realised I would enjoy the journey of selecting it as much as the ring itself and gave me a home made you can have whatever you want certificate on our anniversary.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

chelseanewcar

Rough_Rock
-sarahb: your ring is gorgeous and I hope to be able to buy her something like that for our 20yr!! And the jeweler assures me they are the highest quality, super ideal H&A. But there is no way to see them until they are ordered.

-gypsy: I am asking IDJ for their price for hearts and arrows. And $5000 does seem like a lot! But it seems to be the price that everyone is quoting me so maybe it is the right price? I don't know though, I am new to all of this.

-wombats: in the past the rings I have heard her comment on were eternity bands and she doesn't love large e-rings so that is why I am hesitant to get a 5 stone ring. And she works in healthcare where something low profile is appreciated. She knows the e-ring she has was what I could afford 10 years ago and she is not afraid of hurting my feelings at all. But I totally understand your concern and how she might be hesitant to tell me the truth. I would love to get her involved in the design process but we like surprising each other and this present is going to totally surprise her...I hope.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Ok, you're set on the 10 stone. It will be a great size as a standalone wedding band.

I'd clarify with IDJ that you want excellent cut, h&a stones, and see what the quote becomes.

And I would not worry for one second about upping color in that size. F/G is PLENTY white. Really! You would be paying for a difference I can almost guarantee you will not be able to see if you go higher in color.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash would be my choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've come back to this thread a few times, and each time my gut says WF. I like the specs (F/G, VS) and knowing the cut of the stones. It's pricey, but BGD is pricier for less color/clarity.

I'd want to fully vet the IDJ option, though. The price difference is significant, and there are so many positive experiences here. But you'd have to have that conversation with them to really make sure they understand what you want for cut. They are the only jeweler I would consider going with without having cut info, or idealscopes. Would they offer a return on this? If you're not totally blown away, you could return it and then feel better handing over 5k for a WF or BGD.

I understand your desire to work with the local guy, but cut information can be hard to come by on these size stones. I'd want to work with someone I know values cut quality even in this size, which WF and BGD do by providing cut information even on smaller stones. That probably explains their premiums, which I agree, are steep. But if I'm going to pay that much, I'm giving it to someone who gives me the most information so I am fully advised of what I am paying for. If your local guy can provide cut information (and idealscopes) to back up his H&A and ideal cut claims, then by all means, that brings him into the mix.

Q

Queenie60

I agree - either WF or IDJ. Give Yekutiel at IDJ a call and confirm that the stones will be H&A - he's honest and easy to work with. Good luck, I hope you find just what your looking for. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results