shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help Please

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
I have a dilemma and I'm not sure what to do. I found a setting that I like at Jareds, but the price on the diamonds seem to be a lot higher at Jareds than what I'm finding online. I think I could do better on the diamond, but I can't find a similar setting. I attached some real pics of the setting and here is a link to the setting...

http://design.jared-diamonds.com/Item/R999210960605/sc/

Here's just one of the diamonds I found at the store...

Round (IGI Cert)
5.60 - 5.67 x 3.54 MM
.70 CT, Color I, SI1
Cut Grade - Very Good
Polish/Symmetry - Good/Good
Treatment None
$2,950

_17248.jpg

_17249.jpg

_17250.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right that we would not recommend your buying a diamond from Jared's. For one thing, IGI is not a reliable grading report. That setting is by Scott Kay, so it likely is available elsewhere. I do think there are similar settings that would have a better design than that one, though. It does not have a very good profile.

Here is a price comp, though, for a superior cut hearts and arrows .73 ct I SI1 diamond at $2726. Definitely shows that other diamond is overpriced since there is a good chance it is not I SI1 and certainly it is not the cut quality of the one I am linking.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12071/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel posted while I was still looking for settings, but I was about to say the same thing!

Gabriel and Co has some settings with similar shanks (and Good Old Gold carries this brand):

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/styles/1?style=Criss+Cross

But many jewelers carry Scott Kay, so you can always buy your diamond online and have it set locally if you have to have that particular setting. I am just not sure how that one will work with a wedding band, so unless she picked that out herself, I might reconsider that one.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you very much for your responses. The more the merrier!!!! This is actually for my friend who is reading along and contributing to this thread.

The reason we chose this wedding band was because it had a very delicate look to it. My friend's soon to be fiance is under 5 feet and has a 4.5 ring size so we wanted to get something where the bands were very thin. She didn't choose this specific setting, but she liked this type of style (crossing band) when we went window shopping. I brought my wife along to help my friend as she has the same ring size. We all thought it looked nice, but I appreciate the feedback as I want to hear as much as possible!

I will definitely check out the settings on that website.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should not buy a stone with an IGI certificate.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-grading-report

IGI and EGL are like large statewide universities.

GIA is Ivy League, and AGS is like the MIT rocket-science program.

A polisher or manufacturer sends each diamond (student) to the place it will get the best grade (earn more $).

The good to average go to the large universities (IGI/EGL).

The better ones are sent to the Ivy League (GIA / HRD) and a few nerds go to MIT (AGS).
Drop outs end up in a ‘program’ at a chain store or Joe's Bar & Grading Lab.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king. You have to stick to AGS0 or AGS1 or GIA 3X stones only. No other labs.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough.
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. Over 2.5 is a no. No score under 2 is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. BGD, GOG, WF, James Allen and the other vendors we regularly recommend do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the informative posts! Gypsy, the ivy league analyogy was hilarious!!!!

I think we will be visiting gabrielny very soon. I did a search for stores online and it appears they sell through various retail locations. I would ideally like to purchase the diamond separately online, but I vaguely recall that it's better to purchase the diamond and have it set at the same place. Any ideas on how that would work or what we should do?

njnj

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm actually the one the njseeker has been nice enough to help out by starting this. Definitely want to first start off by saying Thank You All soo much! I am really grateful for how everyone has been so quick to respond and how generous you all are with your hard earned knowledge.
That being said I really love the ring selection at Gabriel and the breakdown on diamonds/what to look out for as well as everyone's personal imput on the initial ring selection was greatly appreciated.

I've actually found a location near me that have Gabriels, which I'm excited to see. Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results