shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut picture / 3D videos

day_dreamer

Rough_Rock
Dear all,

Back in April, my boyfriend and I found a local jeweller to work on my engagement ring. We picked out an emerald cut and worked with the jeweller on ideas for the setting. After a lot of back and forth on the drawing, the ring finally went into production. However, to our disappointment, the ring did not turn out as expected - the jeweller changed the setting without informing us. We gave him another chance to make things right. Long story short, it was another disappointment. We had no choice but to take our money back and walk away without the ring (the jeweller refused to sell us the diamond alone).

So now, after 3 months of time and effort, we're back to square one to search for a diamond/ring. We've found another local jeweller to help us find another emerald cut diamond and make the ring. There's one that's caught my eyes, but the jeweller isn't able to provide the ASET or Idealscope images. I can only go by the GIA report and a still picture of the diamond. However, the jeweller is going to request a 3D video for me.

My question is, what should I look for in a still picture or a 3D video of an emerald cut diamond. Should I look for more colour contrast? I've seen pictures of emerald cuts with long and wide white bars, are they indications of possible light leaks? Can you tell if the diamond is going to be a dark one by looking at an enlarged picture or a 3D video of the diamond?

FYI, below are the specs of the diamond I'm interested in.

Emerald cut
1.01 carat
F, VVS1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very good
Fluorescence: None
Table: 62%
Depth: 65.7%
Girdle: Medium

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hate to see you make the same mistake twice. Have you seen finished custom rings that the new jeweler has made? I would only use someone who has an excellent reputation and whose work I had seen at least in pictures. What price is he asking for this diamond?
You could do F or G color and go to VS1 and have no visible inclusions and perhaps increase your diamond size a little. Unfortunately, we can't tell you a thing about the diamond without magnified images. But I will tell you that good emerald cuts take some searching.

day_dreamer

Rough_Rock
I have seen the work of the new jeweller, she carries fine and delicate pieces that I like. A couple of my friends have made their rings there and are very happy with them. However, this new place doesn't do hand fabrication, which was what I wanted originally. But at this point, as long as the finish product is nice, I don't care if it's hand fabricated or casted anymore.

For this diamond, they're asking for $8500 CAD. There's a magnified image of the diamond, but they didn't let me take a picture of it, so I have nothing to show you. But could you let me know what to look for in a magnified image? I've seen ones with narrower columns in different shades of black, and others with wider columns that are more clean looking with a lot white. Which one would be better? Thank you.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually people tend to go with thinner (vs. wider) steps.

Here is your selection of Emerald cuts from JA in D,E,F VVS2 and higher clarity. Not just one stone but many. James Allen
will give you up to 3 aset images. I know the dollar is not that great right now but may be worth looking into.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/?CaratFrom=1.01&CaratTo=15&Color=F,E,D&Clarity=VVS2,VVS1,IF&PriceFrom=&PriceTo=&ViewsOptions=Images

David Klass (or other jewelers/designers) can make your setting depending on what you are looking for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results