shape
carat
color
clarity

E-ring help for a friend

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted. Hubby's best friend is about to get engaged and is working on the ring. Said friend and his FI-to-be picked a 2.4 carat RB with an EGS certificate that says I color. I think that may well mean it would be below I color if it were GIA-certified. However, the two of them looked at the diamond in detail inside and outside and decided it does not look tinted to their eye, and they love it.

Now, friend has had the diamond set in a pave halo - and surprise, surprise, when seen against what I presume is F/G/H color pave, the diamond appears yellow. He doesn't like it and is wondering what to do.

Question 1: can he ask his jeweler to procure i/j/k color pave? Is this common?
Question 2: what else could he be doing with the stone besides a halo? Evidently she likes halos, but I'm also thinking she agreed to a size-for-color trade-off, so finger coverage might be crucial here. Any alternatives to a halo?

Thanks a ton, dear PSers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe that changing the melee color will make that much difference. They bought a stone that is probably k color at best, so it is just going to show color. Excellent cut stones are going to hide color better face up, and a halo covers the sides so that the tint can't be seen there. So I think if size is number one, then the trade off was probably the other C's. Changing to a smaller stone that is better cut and I or J color by GIA standards is the only way to really solve the problem, in my opinion.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker, but just to clarify, it may well be a well-cut stone - I have no indication that it's not well cut. I believe the issue is the contrast with the white melee when viewed from the top, but you make a good point about covering up yellowish tint from the side.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results