shape
carat
color
clarity

Driving myself crazy trying to find the "IT" diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
My husband has wanted to purchase a 1 carat diamond for me since we were married 11 years ago. We recently came across some unexpected funds ... and he is just ITCHING to purchase a diamond! While I was initially trying to go for something more conservative in size (3/4 carat), he insists on 1+ carat, ideal cut, no less than H in color and SI1 in clarity, no flourescence (I think faint is ok), and minimum of very good for polish/symmetry. He says our budget is about $5k... I would like to see us spend a little bit less, more like $4k.

Went to Jared, thought the diamonds were overpriced but did find the Gelin Abaci settings which we are both loving. We have found a jeweler that can take our favorite 3 Abaci settings and combine them to come up with exactly what I want .... now all we need is the diamond! If we have to, we can get a simple gold setting for now in order to get the perfect diamond ... then upgrade the setting later.

Here are a couple of possibilities from Whiteflash ... what do you all think of these?
$5,226.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.04
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.5
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 35
Crown %: 15.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Very Thin to Medium Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.59-6.67X4.01

$4,408.00
Report: EGL
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.10
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 63
Table: 55
Girdle: M-
Measurements: 6.60-6.62X4.17

Price: $4,442.00
Carat: 1.01
Color: G
Depth: 61.8
Table: 55
Girdle: -M
Polish: Very Good
Measurements: 6.46-6.51X4.01

Price: $4,773.00
Carat: 1.14
Depth: 62.8
Table: 58
Girdle: M-
Measurements: 6.63-6.71X4.19

We both view this as a once in a lifetime purchase ... I am tickled pink (although it took me a while to agree to this!). We want to make sure to get it right the first time :) Thanks for any input! Best,

Jennifer

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
My vote is DEFINATELY for diamond #1. It looks from the numbers that you got it from WF''s expert selection. Since you do not have a lot of the numbers for the other stones, my guess would be that these are not "in house" stones and there is no way to tell how good the cut is (how good it will look). You can of course have WF or any other vendor call in these diamonds and look at them for you, but chances are, the cut will not be nearly as good as the their expert selection stones.
And don''t forget about the Pricecope discount - which will bring that stone from $5226 to $5095.

good luck

Mike

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer, welcome and congratulations on the journey that will lead you to that "once in a lifetime" stone. Looking at numbers can drive one crazy, but it looks like:

1. You've picked a company (Whiteflash) who has a great reputation and has made many people happy - and

2. The stones you've selected appear quite nice.

I'm not an expert, so I won't say I like 2 over 3 etc., what I would recommend is you call Whiteflash and ask them to help you "view" the diamonds through their eyes. You might be surprised that one costing less might appear better than one costing more. Once they help you select a stone (or two) that you might actually consider buying, they can send to an appraiser in your area to have them appraised and give you the opportunity to see them in person before you purchase them.

Many people have done this and found the process really good (at least from what I've read, they have).

Anyway, congratulations again. Sounds like your hubby is a nice guy for wanting you to have a beautiful diamond on your finger and you should enjoy this as much as possible.

Best wishes...........
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well that was easy #1, hands down!!! Should be an amazing stone!!!
2.gif
Welcome to PS
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be hesitant about number one because of the "very thin" girdle. I''d ask about that specifically. Maybe it is just a very tiny area, but you need to know for sure. Very thin girdles can chip.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
another vote for #1
36.gif

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your responses!

We liked the first diamond best overall. Whiteflash said that this diamond is eye clean at 8cm and 25 cm ... not sure if that is good or not (only found this forum a week ago, and SO glad we did!). We did have concerns about the girdle due to the tension mounting that we are considering. However, the jeweler has some kind of mounting that *looks* like tension but actually places the diamond in some kind of groove. ??? We have yet to decide if that setting is what we will go for. So a diamond that could work with tension/non-tension would be ideal.

We live in a very small mountain town in Northern AZ ... but head down to Phoenix about once a month. The jeweler we plan to work with is in Phoenix. I am not sure if there is an independent appraiser in the Phoenix area, but it is worth checking out ... that''s a great idea!

I still keep thinking that plenty of people are happy with a "Very Good" cut diamond rather than ideal, and that we seem to be paying about $1k more for an Ideal Cut. I would think that if everything else about the diamond was just right ... but it was a Very Good cut - that it would still look amazing and also save a little bit. However, you only get one chance to do something right - so maybe I had better listen to my husband on this one, LOL! I have seen an Ideal Cut diamond in person and it truly was amazing :)

Thanks again!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results