shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to 2 stones (Marquise) post thoughts on stone vs stone

cyberstoat

Rough_Rock
Hi-

I have done a lot of research and had some help from the guys at Truth about Diamonds on one of the stones and have settled on one of these two stones... however, I am still not certain as I am thinking that the one I have bought has a slightly to large Depth and I'm worried that this might dull the sparkle a bit. I've not made the wire transfer yet so still have time to make the change.

Would love to get your thoughts!!!!

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Stone 1

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Very Good-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1337265.asp

Stone 2

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-SI1-Premium-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1443966.asp

Clearly stone 2 gives you a lot more bang for your buck but I think that the only thing dragging the cut-grade (and price) down is the ratio which I think will still look good.

Do you think they will both be eye clean?

FYI- they will be set in this ring http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-rings/ring/item_500-7612.asp

Thanks again

Patrick

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Down to 2 stones (Marquise) post thoughts on stone vs st

Can you ask them for the ASET pictures? ASETs for marquise will look nothing like that of better cut rounds, that is to be expected and nothing to worry about.

cyberstoat

Rough_Rock

Thanks- I've requested the shots but they said it could take up to two days. Any thoughts in the interim?

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Can you share the price difference between the two with us? It will help to evaluate the stones as usually over 1.5ct will carry a premium.

I personally find the inclusions in the 1.39ct more acceptable than the 1.5ct.

MqLove

Rough_Rock

It does seem that the 1.39ct has inclusions which are less visible - but you should really ask James Allen if they're eye-clean (and specify how clean is eye-clean for you - 1"or 6", from the top only or from the side too).

Bear in mind that for marquise (and other fancy shapes), the measure of cut quality isn't standard, it's subjective to each store. Although the 1.39 says 'Premium' in the link, but on the page it says very good cut quality, same as the 1.51. I prefer a L/W ratio closer to 2, but everyone ahs different preferences!

cyberstoat

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the replies. The price of the 1.51 is $9080 less the PS discount so $8650.

I have cancelled the order whilst I wait for the ASETs. When you say 1" or 6" what exactly do you mean... just how close to the eye?

Thanks again!

cyberstoat

Rough_Rock

Thanks mqLove. I agree that it looks subjective. It seems as though the smaller stone has the nicer proportions... with the exception of the ratio.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can focus 1" from my eyes, but I am really nearsighted. ;( You should pick one more diamond to get an ASET for, as you get 3.

MqLove

Rough_Rock

cyberstoat|1328612663|3120757 said:
Thanks for the replies. The price of the 1.51 is $9080 less the PS discount so $8650.

I have cancelled the order whilst I wait for the ASETs. When you say 1" or 6" what exactly do you mean... just how close to the eye?

Thanks again!

Some people want to never see inclusions no matter how hard or closely they look (1" from the eye), while others are happy as long as they aren't visible from the distance that most people even looking closely will see it from. Whoever is judging needs to know how 'eye-clean' is important to you so you'll be satisfied.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Most people are comfortable with no inclusions visible to the naked eye when viewed from 6" away.

But it is always down to personal choice and budget. I will always choice the biggest diamond within budget, than is eye clean to the above definition and above I in color. But each to their own.

If you tell us your budget and preferences we may be able to find you some more options. I'm not saying that the JA stones aren't good options (we won't know until we see ASETs), simply that having more than two, to chose from would allow you to make a more informed choice. Also the two JA stones are quite different in terms of size and price and ratio.

Just a quite though.....when looking at fancy shapes, marquis shapes in particular, ratio is very important. How long it is to how wide it is. Some people love fat/stubby shapes and some people love tall/skinny/elongated shapes. What do you prefer?

cyberstoat

Rough_Rock

All good advice.

Thanks guys. I will look to get another ASET also... any thoughts on which one I should choose if its the last of my 3 wishes!

Regarding preference I am actually using JA primarily as they stock Danhov tension set rings. I know my other half has her heart set on a tension ring but I struggled to find any stockists here in Australia from the three designers that seemed to be recommended (I don't remember the other two designers but Danhov was certainly one).

I chose the marquise cut as (I think!) I like that ring best... it would be pretty unique here and thats sure to make her happy.

Regarding the two stones, I have looked at many and slimmed it down to these two. My budget is <$8500 US as I have to pay >15% import duties on this and the ring (so yes stone 1 is a bit of a stretch but that's ok).

The diamond must be >1ct (her preference!) and under 1.5ct (the ring can only take 1.5ct)... JA advised that it would not be a problem setting the 1.51 stone so I am guessing a small deviation is ok.

On ratio's I prefer neither to fat nor too long. Ideally 1.85-2.0 I think looks best but the 1.7 1.39ct stone looks fine (isnt marriage all about compromise!)

I know the price differential of the two diamonds is fairly large but when you look at the actual stones they are fairly similar suface area so its more the depth that takes stone 1 over 1.5ct's and gives it its price premium. Obviously a stone of 1.5ct is 'nice' but certainly not essential.

So thats a very long winded answer but hopefully give you a bit more to go on... with all that said any calls on

a) a third stone to request ASET from JA
b) should I be looking somewhere else completely (remembering that I have to have the tension setting)

Thanks again to all for your help... its great to have experts out there willing to help us uneducated in tehse matters!!!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So I've been looking up the magic numbers for marquis cuts.

Once you are over/around the 10mm in length I don't think you really need to worry about size are you are setting E-W. 10mm is already going to look pretty big.

The 1.51ct is very deep. But the rest of the numbers look nice. but its 2k more expensive.

The 1.39ct is a little deep and a bit fat/stubby in shape.

The 1.14ct has a slightly wide table, rest of the numbers are good. Its the smallest but at VS1 will be very clean. It also has an excellent cut grading.

If it was my money from the stats alone I would go for the 1.14ct, I'd go for the better cut and better clarity. But I'd want to make sure the asets were were good.

Smith1940

Shiny_Rock

Personal opinion: I think the 1.39 is really very stubby. I speak as one who likes a ratio of 2.10 or above, though! But since this is such a big purchase, and you are so far away (meaning exchanges would be a royal pain in the you-know-what) you could show her some marquise ratio representations and see if she exhibits a strong preference. I'm not sure how involved she is, but see here for three representations of ratio in marquises:

http://www.lumeradiamonds.com/diamond-education/marquise-diamond

cyberstoat

Rough_Rock

Its funny how you think you have made a decision but suddenly find your head swimming again!

OK- so I agree that the 1.39 looks a bit stubby. My preference (based on what I think hers will be in definately a ratio of 2ish. I also agree that once you have a stone at >10mm it will look big... in fact I drew it and I think it will look huge on her long slim fingers!

Its difficult to ask my GF her opinion as although we have been togther 12 years (I know I know!!!!) this is really a surprise (although probably not a shock!).

I have one more stone which looks as though it could be a winner... Its smaller than the rest and also a bit deep, but the cut looks v. good other than that and the clarity I think will be 100% eye-clean.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1359487.asp

I am awaiting ASETs on the stones so hopefully that (and your advice when I post them!) can make my mind up for me.

Thanks all for your help!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

when do you expect the aset's? I expect they will make your choice easy.

cyberstoat

Rough_Rock

So... I have the ASET's but am really struggling with getting them posted as I get an error message. I'll try and do it again when I get home.
FYI the gemologist comments are below for the stones chosen by me (and a friend) :naughty: so 4 in total

Stone 1 (1.51ct F SI1 $9kish)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Very Good-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1337265.asp

The cloud in diamond 1337265 is black in color and reflects within the diamond. The gemologist feels that it will be visible to the average eye and that the diamond will not face eye clean. It has a lower F color performance and it has a large black bowtie that the gemologist found wide and somewhat offensive.

Stone 2 (1.39 ct F SI1 err $7ish??)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-SI1-Very Good-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1443966.asp

diamond 1443966 is icy white in color and faces eye clean. It has nice light performance and its bow tie is a little dark but not terribly offensive.

Stone 3 (1.14 D VS2) $8.5k I think

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1438122.asp

Diamond 1438122 has nice light performance but isn't as bright as diamond 1359487. It is also eye clean and icy white but its bowtie is large and wide.

Stone 4 (1.06 D VS1) Around $8.5k again

1359487 has nice fire and brilliance and is the brighter diamond of your selections. As expected, it is icy white in color and faces perfectly eye clean. Additionally, its bowtie is thin and grey in color.

So, it looks as thogh in this case smaller really is better. As the only size I needed to go with was >1ct & <1.5 stone 4 still fits the bill and from the descriptions it looks as though this is the only choice... is it possible to PM pictures or share email addresses (or is that against the rules??).

Thanks!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Can you post the aset for the 1.06?

On paper, the 1.06ct definitely look and sounds the best option but with fancy shapes that really need backing up with an aset.

And remember that marquise's face up big so a 1ct in a marq. is gonna look like a larger than say a round 1.5ct.

cyberstoat

Rough_Rock

I got it working! Good ol'Mozilla :appl:

Stone 1 (1.51ct F SI1 $9kish)

1337265%201.51ct.jpg
1337265%201.51ct%202.jpg

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Very%20Good-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1337265.asp

The cloud in diamond 1337265 is black in color and reflects within the diamond. The gemologist feels that it will be visible to the average eye and that the diamond will not face eye clean. It has a lower F color performance and it has a large black bowtie that the gemologist found wide and somewhat offensive.

Stone 2 (1.39 ct F SI1 err $7ish??)

1443966%201.39ct%202.jpg
1443966%201.39ct.jpg

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-SI1-Very%20Good-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1443966.asp

Stone 3 (1.14 D VS2) $8.5k I think

1438122%201.14ct%202.jpg
1438122%201.14ct_0.jpg

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1438122.asp

Diamond 1438122 has nice light performance but isn't as bright as diamond 1359487. It is also eye clean and icy white but its bowtie is large and wide.

Stone 4 (1.06 D VS1) Around $8.5k again

1359487%201.06ct.jpg
1359487%201.06ct%202.jpg

1359487 has nice fire and brilliance and is the brighter diamond of your selections. As expected, it is icy white in color and faces perfectly eye clean. Additionally, its bowtie is thin and grey in color.

So... whats the verdict all of them, just the small one or none at all!?!?!? :confused:

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

yup the 1.06 is the best. Should be a nice stone. and dimensionally it is no smaller than several of the other stones. 10x4 is still huge! that said if you want still more finger coverage you could always put your 1-1.5k savings (from choosing the 1ct over the 1.5ct) towards a fancy halo setting.

I would only consider the 1.06ct from those asets.

cyberstoat

Rough_Rock

Thanks Chel,

Does anyone else have an opinion. Is the 1.06 stone v good or just the best of the four? Should I keep looking?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I personally like the shape of stone 4 the best, and if the gemologist likes it the best as well, I think you should go for it! Not to mention that it doesn't get any whiter than a D, which I think will look great in the tension setting since so much of the diamond shows. And it'll be HUGE turned east west (that's a good thing, in my opinion! :saint: ) and will look fantastic on the hand. Really something larger in that setting might be too big, depending on the ring size of your girlfriend. I wear around a 5.5 and my ring is about 12mm across the top, which fits perfectly across the top of my finger. So at 10mm across, plus setting, I think it will look very substantial on your girlfriend's finger.

Do you know your girlfriend's ring size? I've heard it's hard to impossible to resize tension settings, so you'll definitely want to know that for sure before ordering!

amertrine

Rough_Rock

Stone 4 look great. :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

bit late to the party, but my vote would be stone #4 as well. Minimal bow tie, faces up quite white - as it should at a D!, awesome size and good price for your budget.

Is the final decision to go for an E/W setting? If she has a small ring size, you'll have wall to wall coverage with that! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results