shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I need a new appraisal for changing setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I recently switched my solitaire head from a generic 6 prong setting to a true Tiffany-like crown setting, as well as a slight modification to the shank. I''m switching insurance companies, and wondered if I should get the ring re-appraised or if it won''t make a difference in the value. Thanks.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
My jeweler told me if I was going to make any "significant" changes to my ring then I would need a new appraisal. For instance, if I went from a 4 prong head to a 6 prong one, then the appraisal should reflect that. If I were to get a completely different setting I would need a new one as well.

I hope some experts chime in on their thoughts.
1.gif

thebanjodog

Shiny_Rock
i don''t know what your situation is but last october i had a diamond changed from one mounting to another. i asked the jeweler to write me a new insurance appraisal. i felt this was necessary because the original description stayed the same for the stone but of course the mounting was completely different. in my way of thinking i needed to describe the piece as accurately as possible in case a claim needed to be filed. the new mounting was a 1k expenditure and the new value represented that.

it was only a simple matter of the jeweler preparing a new document of appraisal. i asked that he do that when i picked up the completed project. he very promptly did so and at no charge. i would think that your jeweler would probably do the same for you. i hope so. good luck. banjo

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t. And the insurance worked out fine when I recently damaged my diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results