shape
carat
color
clarity

Distinct fluorescence

Stoneseekernc

Rough_Rock
Was looking at a diamond today and the certification said "distinct fluorescence". I forgot which certification company graded it, but for the life of me I cannot find where that would fall between slight and very string fluorescence. Anyone have any ideas?

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I second the recommendation to stick to GIA. They are the most consistent and conservative lab out there. I have a GIA certified J color diamond with very strong blue fluorescence, and the fluor doesn't negatively affect the stone's appearance at all. It glows bright blue under a blacklight, which I think is really cool.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stick to GIA or AGS only. Or if you are in Europe you can use HRD. And that stone is graded by neither of those, so it is irrelevant.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stoneseekernc|1397954314|3656326 said:
"distinct fluorescence"
"Distinct" is the strongest fluorescence descriptor used on some EGL reports. Equivalent (+/-) to GIA Very Strong.

Stoneseekernc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the valuable information. I found it even more telling that I couldn't even find the fluorescence gratings in EGLs website. And after reading other information--if the other values are not true GIA comparable values.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stoneseekernc|1398011108|3656621 said:
Thanks for the valuable information. I found it even more telling that I couldn't even find the fluorescence gratings in EGLs website. And after reading other information--if the other values are not true GIA comparable values.
I think EGL uses different nomenclature, depending on which lab-location and report is requested. I saw a 2013 report with "Distinct Blue" in Antwerp last year. Here's an example from 2008.

egl-europe-distinct-fl.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results