shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Traded In - Was It Worth It?

Sweet-Tea

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I have found this site to be so helpful and WISH I would have known about it prior to getting engaged! With that said, we purchased an engagement ring from an online retailer (they also have a B&M store located in NY). Unfortunately, the first diamond had the crushed ice appearance and I was not happy with it at all. The specs for that cushion modified brilliant were: 1.21ct, G, SI1, polish Ex, symmetry VG, depth 69%, table 59%, measured 6.25x5.78x4 (L/W 1.08). I will post a pic of it below. The retailer did not work with me on locating a better cushion and my assumption is that they did not have a better one. I ended up working with a local B&M jeweler to locate a cushion to fit my halo setting and that had more distinctive/larger facets. The specs for my new cushion are: 1.25ct, E, VS2, polish Ex, symmetry Ex, depth 69.5%, table 59%, measured 6.21x6.06.4.21. We originally paid $6298 for the 1st cushion. The local jeweler gave us $5k for it and the new cushion was $10,900. After reading about trade-ins, I knew I would not get the purchased value for the original cushion, but wonder if the new one is worth the amount paid?? Judging from what I have seen on Brian Gavin's site (btw, love his cushions and wish I would've known all of this before) and others, I could have gotten a signature ideal cut cushion for that amount??

old_cushion_shadows.jpg

old_cushion_cut.jpg

cushion_cuts_new_and_old.jpg

new_cushion_cut2.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sweet-Tea! :wavey: Welcome!

What matters most is that you love your new stone! Are you asking about the BGD diamonds because you are within a return period?

If it's a done deal, just enjoy your new stone. If not, here is a 1.25 G VS1 for $11.3K wire.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.253-g-vs1-cushion-diamond-ags-104066027011

An E-color stone in the 1.25 carat range seems to be more expensive than what you paid. Here is a 1.21 E VVS2 for $16.1K.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.208-e-vvs2-cushion-diamond-ags-104066027014

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the new one looks much bigger to me.. I really like it but don't know if you got a good deal.

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
You certainly got a good amount percentage-wise on your trade-in. I think you have to factor that in when you are comparing diamond prices you see online.

Sweet-Tea

Rough_Rock
Starryeyed - you made me feel better knowing there is a price jump for E color. When I saw my old cushion next to my new cushion outside in the sunlight, I couldn't believe how noticeable the color difference is between an E and G! I am not sure if I am within a return policy because the jeweler called my purchase a "special order" since they had to contact their other stores to find a cushion with the specific facet structure I was looking for. I definitely love the appearance of my new diamond, even though I have become slightly obsessed with cushions now. :) This has been a great learning experience. Someday in the future, when I am able to go for a larger cushion, I have decided I love the Cushion Brilliants or Old Mine Cuts. Is it possbile to have my local jeweler work a vendor such as Brian Gavin or ERD (I have heard great things about their cushions too)? Or, is it better to do that on my own because the jeweler may charge more to be the middle-man? I am trying to be well prepared for next time. :)
Huldak - thank you for your comment on my trade-in. It makes me feel better knowing I did not totally get the shaft! :)
Thank you for your replies and advice!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea on how good your deal was though it sounds like you did well on trade in for old stone. But I will say WOW - crazy great improvement on your new diamond, and I mean that as respectfully toward the old diamond also. I never saw the two ("crushed ice" look and well cut stone) side by side, and your pic shows the difference very nicely! Congratulations on your new diamond!

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I have I no idea if you got a good deal or not, but your new stone looks so much better to me! Love it, very pretty.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, have you seen the AVC at Good Old Gold? August Vintage Cushion, love the big facets under the table. Love your new stone choice, what a nice upgrade.

Sweet-Tea

Rough_Rock
Thanks JoCoJenn! My old diamond was a bit sad. I didn't know what the term "watery" looking really meant until I saw my old stone next to my new one. The center of the old stone had no facet definition at all. I love how the center of my new one reminds me of a round brilliant, but with the cushion shape. I am feeling better about my choice - thanks!

JoCoJenn|1405963359|3717671 said:
I have no idea on how good your deal was though it sounds like you did well on trade in for old stone. But I will say WOW - crazy great improvement on your new diamond, and I mean that as respectfully toward the old diamond also. I never saw the two ("crushed ice" look and well cut stone) side by side, and your pic shows the difference very nicely! Congratulations on your new diamond!

Sweet-Tea

Rough_Rock
luvdajules - I have not had the pleasure of seeing an AVC in person (that I know of). I do love the chunkier facets, but have not decided whether I like large culets. I may have to do more research on Modern versions of the OMC? Do you by chance have an AVC that you could post a pic of? Love seeing "real life" photos and hand shots. Thanks for your comment!

luvdajules|1405966136|3717701 said:
Hi OP, have you seen the AVC at Good Old Gold? August Vintage Cushion, love the big facets under the table. Love your new stone choice, what a nice upgrade.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your new stone!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are intending to trade up with an online vendor when you go for another stone it would have been better to have bought this one from them. Not sure if they allow you to trade in a stone not bought from them. Does your new diamond have a GIA certificate as most places doing trade ins would want that and possibly excellent cut information too?

Your new diamond is beautiful but this is the time to find out about these things above before a returns period is over.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like your new stones A LOT more than your own stone. Honestly, with fancies-- they either catch your heart or they don't. If this one caught your heart, then you are good to go!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet Tea, I think you did great. Your new cushion is beautiful and no comparison to the crushed ice appearance of the original. And most importantly you love your new ring.

I don't know how you did regarding price but you got a very good price for the trade in of the original cushion but of course that was probably tied in to the price the vendor charged for your new cushion. The main thing is you love your ER and it is beautiful. Wear in health and happiness. :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet-Tea, I like your new stone SOOOO much better than the old one -- and it looks so much bigger! :wavey: :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new stone is a LOT better than the first one and I think the price is fair. I will agree that if you want an antique style cushion, you should look at AVCs. The culet is simply a characteristic of that style stone, however, I will tell you that in a stone that size, it probably won't even be visible. I looked at a couple of AVCs once that were between 1.5 and 2 cts, and one of them had a small culet and I really couldn't see it. The other had a larger one and I liked it so much better. So there are both kinds. Remember they are sooooo much smaller than they appear in the magnified photos!

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
They're both pretty, but I agree: I prefer the newer one you got! It's quite stunning in your photos. I know what you mean about the "crushed ice" compared to normal, larger facets. I think the way you have the ring set, the larger facets look better. :appl: I couldn't say if you got a good deal on the trade in, as your happiness is whatever it's worth to you. A good deal for something you don't love is just unhappiness bought cheaply. Sounds like this one pleases you more and that matters most! Thanks for sharing. :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new stone is a lot nicer than the old stone, no question about that. I wonder if your diamonds are certified with EGL instead of GIA because the hand pic with the G shows a lot of yellow tint that really should not be noticeable in a G coloured stone, unless it has been misgraded by EGL or other less reliable labs.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet Tea, I think your new diamond looks great. It is so bright, shiny and clear. I would still say your old one is pretty but your new one is certainly bigger and better.

Sweet-Tea

Rough_Rock
Hi pyramid, that is a question I had as well for the future. I did not know if an online vendor would allow a trade-in from a store, if I should decide to upgrade at a later date. My new diamond does have a GIA certificate (thankfully my old one did too). Also, I am not even sure if I would be able to return the new stone because they considered it a "special order" as they had to search several of their offices for the facet structure I was looking for (pic is below). I found that hard to believe! :o I did not learn about Modern Cushions with 8 Mains versus 4 Mains until after my purchase of the new stone. There is so much to learn!

Pyramid|1405978107|3717856 said:
If you are intending to trade up with an online vendor when you go for another stone it would have been better to have bought this one from them. Not sure if they allow you to trade in a stone not bought from them. Does your new diamond have a GIA certificate as most places doing trade ins would want that and possibly excellent cut information too?

Your new diamond is beautiful but this is the time to find out about these things above before a returns period is over.

facet_structure.jpg

Sweet-Tea

Rough_Rock
Hi Dreamer_D! Both my old and new diamond have GIA certificates. Can you believe the cut for my old cushion was graded as Very Good (polish EX, symmetry VG)?

Dreamer_D|1405999697|3718047 said:
What lab graded the diamonds?

Sweet-Tea

Rough_Rock
Hi CharmyPoo, I have read several of your posts and am thankful for your advice/knowledge! My new diamond is GIA certified. Do you believe it is generally better to purchase Modern Cushions at online vendors? It is so difficult when you aren't able to see the stone in person. That is how I purchased my old cushion. Below is the pic they sent me prior to my receiving it and it is hard to tell how it performs!

CharmyPoo|1406029124|3718159 said:
Assuming your diamond is graded by GIA, I would say that you done ok for a B&M store.

If I was going for a H&A type modern cushion, I probably would have went for a Blue Nile Signature Cushion which would have a more distinct H&A pattern.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD03839041

old_cushion_comparison2.jpg

Sweet-Tea

Rough_Rock
Hi diamondseeker2006! Thanks for your comments! Do you by chance know how well AVCs perform in cloudy lighting? I have read varied things on how they perform in different lighting situations. What I have read so far is that cloudy days tend to not do well for most diamonds. Would you agree with that? Thank you - that is good to know regarding the culets being magnified. Some of the photos I have seen make them appear like big holes!

diamondseeker2006|1405982395|3717895 said:
Your new stone is a LOT better than the first one and I think the price is fair. I will agree that if you want an antique style cushion, you should look at AVCs. The culet is simply a characteristic of that style stone, however, I will tell you that in a stone that size, it probably won't even be visible. I looked at a couple of AVCs once that were between 1.5 and 2 cts, and one of them had a small culet and I really couldn't see it. The other had a larger one and I liked it so much better. So there are both kinds. Remember they are sooooo much smaller than they appear in the magnified photos!

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Sweet-Tea,
I came across your thread and can certainly relate to your situation with your diamond search for a cushion with a bolder pattern.
I think you got a decent trade in value for your diamond. Your new stone is much prettier and looks really beautiful so I would just enjoy that beauty and not worry about it anymore. I think its a much nicer stone and I can see the difference between your old stone and the new one.

Once I complete my ring upgrade, I will share it on here as my search for the right cushion with a pattern that is not crushed ice effect is similar to yours however I actually found my diamond online then asked to view it in person. "With Fancies, I have learned although the numbers may look good on GIA Cert., you really need to have your eyes be the judge. I paid 9K for my original stone and my trade in was 7,500.00 towards the new stone. So I think as far as trade in value, you got a decent trade in.
Congrats on your upgrade and enjoy your beautiful cushion diamond!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Sweet-Tea|1405962852|3717666 said:
Starryeyed - you made me feel better knowing there is a price jump for E color. When I saw my old cushion next to my new cushion outside in the sunlight, I couldn't believe how noticeable the color difference is between an E and G! I am not sure if I am within a return policy because the jeweler called my purchase a "special order" since they had to contact their other stores to find a cushion with the specific facet structure I was looking for. I definitely love the appearance of my new diamond, even though I have become slightly obsessed with cushions now. :) This has been a great learning experience. Someday in the future, when I am able to go for a larger cushion, I have decided I love the Cushion Brilliants or Old Mine Cuts. Is it possbile to have my local jeweler work a vendor such as Brian Gavin or ERD (I have heard great things about their cushions too)? Or, is it better to do that on my own because the jeweler may charge more to be the middle-man? I am trying to be well prepared for next time. :)
Huldak - thank you for your comment on my trade-in. It makes me feel better knowing I did not totally get the shaft! :)
Thank you for your replies and advice!

Congratulations-- beautiful stone! Good modern cushions are a challenge to source so if you paid a bit more for a stone you love then its worth a small premium. You did well on your trade in. I wouldn't second guess this move.

If you're serious about making an authentic old cut your next diamond, I encourage you start a casual search. The more time you give your search, without any sense of urgency, the better you will do on the buy side, especially if you can avoid traditional retail/online outlets. Finding larger old cuts has gotten increasingly difficult and will only get more competitive in the years to come as interest in true antique diamonds continues to grow. The more you can search smaller channels of distribution, shows that are local to you, and the auction market, the better you will do to maximize size/quality without overpaying. It may take years to find exactly what you want and the process of hunting for that ideal old stone can be fun if there is no pressure. Use the early part of your hunt to figure out what type of old cut, and the scale (in mm not carat weight) you want so that when you see the ideal stone, you can pounce. Murphy's law-- its never there when you need/want it. It's always there when you don't.

Enjoy your new ring!

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
I agree with others that you did receive a good trade-in value. Also, since it was a special order you do not likely have a "return period" if you wanted to return your new stone. You appear to have done the best you could under the circumstances and take heart in that alone. It is really hard to get your money back when upgrading without a good policy in place. The new stone really surpasses your old one in cut and that's a good value in itself. Congrats on your upgrade and it is really lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results