shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Quality at B&M? and what to do with poor quality diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TripleG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Does anyone know the specifics behind what most BM stores get in terms of the quality of diamonds? Also if you have purchased diamonds previously from BM only to realize the quality is bad, what do you do with these diamonds later after getting a "real" purchase?. I''m speaking specifically to the diamonds they put in to earrings for studs or to side stones of rings.

I purchased a pair of princess cut diamond earrings from a BM store a couple years ago for a very important birthday. I got a discount in the mail and used the store card to save more money, etc. (Should have been my first warning sign I''m now aware) and ordered the pair. This was before I really knew more than the 4 c''s of diamonds, or how each level could really affect diamond quality and what "eye clean" really means. Next I got them in the mail and they had black specks everywhere. I was shocked and went to the store claiming I couldnt believe they sent me stuff with visual black specks in it. So eventually I picked out ones that seemed clean. Now after getting my ER a couple weeks ago I have been comparing them and I am so disgusted now by the quality of these earings I''m just wondering if there are sub standards that the BM''s actually choose the worse of the worse type cuts? Or do any stores really do a good job of stocking good quality items.

I''m now trying to figure out what do I do with my poor quality studs. My ER is an RB cut, so for that reason alone I dont want to mix the princess cut. However, the princess cut are just visibly way less quality I dont want to hang on to them. Not sure what to do. (They are about 0.5 carat together).

Sorry for the long post :)

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The quality of diamonds sold by B&M jewelry stores changes from store to store just as it does here on the internet. Here on PS there are online diamond vendors who specialize in the niche market of ideal cut diamonds and others who sell everything under the sun by merely republishing the list of diamonds advertised in the multiple listing service by the diamond cutters - the same holds true for traditional brick and mortar jewelry stores, there are some high end stores who cater to more discriminating clients by hand selecting every diamond that they sell from a small group of suppliers who share their passion for excellence; and then there are some stores that sell anything that resembles jewelry.

The only way to determine the quality of the product being offered is to insist that each vendor provide in-depth information that defines the diamond quality, alloy content, etc.

If a vendor isn''t willing to provide the information or take the time to discuss the options with you, find another vendor who will... There are different types of business models because there are clients for every type of business model and product quality. For every diamond produced to AGS-10 Very Poor cut quality, there is somebody who will buy it, even if the concept does make me itch
32.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or do any stores really do a good job of stocking good quality items.
I''ve seen some great diamonds at B&M stores. Ben Bridge has some excellent cut stones. I go in there to get my ring cleaned. . .one day I was talking to the sales associate and she brought up that cut is more important than color/clarity! Not all sales people are uneducated random retail workers who happen to work jewelery without having a clue. The biggest issue, IMO, is that once you do find a great cut stone at a mall, you''ll be paying a huge mark-up.

Regarding your studs - years back, I had a pair of huggy earrings that had specks in them. I sold them on eBay and made just a bit of cash!
2.gif
The gal who purchased them got a great deal and was happy with the transaction.

Darthkim

Rough_Rock
In the end, a poor cut diamond, is still a diamond, no? :)

Just wanted to chime in , that ben bridge''s was the only mall vendor that I''ve been to, that carries/ can order, AGS stones. Most of the mall jewelers use IGI, EGL, with a few select using GIA.

Lucky for me, I found PS and ordered from a PS vendor.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/17/2009 4:22:20 PM
Author: Darthkim

Just wanted to chime in , that ben bridge''s was the only mall vendor that I''ve been to, that carries/ can order, AGS stones.
Solid chain. Strong AGS supporters, with many employees who complete their GG and then go for AGS credentials.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TripleG,
I know exactly how you feel, as I am in the same position as you. Let me tell you what I plan to do with my "junks".
1. For higher grade and larger diamonds (0.7 ct or higher), have them recut and then reset in pendants, bracelets, earrings, and etc.. I do not even bother selling them, because I do not expect to get back much. They are worth more if I can incorporate them into fine jewelry (combine with other great cut stones and settings of high workmanship).

2. For lesser grade and smaller diamonds including melees, wear them in environments that are not safe, e.g., cruises (especially formal nights) or sightseeing in foreign countries or relatively unsafe places (subways). I prefer to wear these less-than-ideal jewelries than costume jewelry. At least, if I do get robbed or mugged, I do not feel as bad.

Answering your thread reminds me of what I did after I purchased my first Hermes handbag. I rid of (either sold or gave away) all other brands (Coach, LV, Chanel, MJ) and kept some that are for the specific occasions mentioned above.

P/S. I do not count on passing my unwanted jewlery and accessories to my daughters, because I do not expect them to appreciate something that I do not even want to keep myself.

TripleG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone for your suggestions/comments. I did stop by a Ben Bridge after reading some funny horror stories on here about BM''s I wanted to check one out with my new ER. I was surprised they werent stupid or trying for any scams. I was not pleased with the prices but expected that with the fact they are a ground store. But based on what you all said it makes sense why they seem to have a higher quality then say a Zales.

As for what MC and FancyDiamond did with their old stuff I think that''s probably the best thing to do. These earrings I have are not ugly, but it just bothers me to no end that If I look close up I can see the inclusions, and I no longer want that as reminders of my special day (bought them for a birthday present to me). So I rather sell them and use the money towards a great quality pair that can match what my ER is.

Thanks for all your responses!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results