shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond price fluctuations at online retailers (ex.bluenile)

oneworld

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Wondering if someone can share their knowledge. I've been looking to buy an engagement ring at an online retailer. After doing my research, I've settled on a pretty specific set of parameters based on price and availability.

Almost ready to buy, checked the site the following day and noticed that price for a very close match went up 5-8% .. Is it normal for loose diamond prices to fluctuate that much on a daily basis? Basically wondering if there is any merit in waiting.

Thanks.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
Re: diamond price fluctuations at online retailers (ex.bluen

A similar stone to one I bought 2 months ago now sells for 22% more.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No merit to waiting - all the experts agree prices are only going up!

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade

Prices have gone up significantly in all facets of the diamond industry, starting all the way from the rough. Vendors are up against the wall. While still trying to remain competitive, if they don't increase prices at one time or another it will be very unlikely that they will be able to replace the merchandise that has been sold. My advice to you is if you have already contacted your vendor in regards to this diamond, ask him if he'll work with you on the price, being that you are ready to make your purchase. Well if it's at all possible for you, the sooner the better, because it seems prices are going to continue going up. :blackeye:

jacksonmann

Rough_Rock

I bought a .90 F SI1 Ideal in the middle of March and now the same site lists .90 G SI1 Ideal for about $300 more than what I paid for the better color. So, if I bought today on budget I would have lost a color grade. Pretty significant if you think about it...hasn't even been a month.

Check out the tab above "Resources" and look at the Diamond Price Stats and Diamond Price Chart. Shows the 12 month trend...big jump in March.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think a lot of us have watched prices rise recently on diamonds or diamond jewelry that we were watching and close to buying. It is discouraging for sure.

oneworld

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Certainly not trying to "time the market" .. but price increases of 11%/month don't seem sustainable to me. This basically means that the price will double every year... Certainly does not match the annual increase of my salary.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have noticed a lot of jewelry and diamond prices are rising. I was looking at going up from a .81 to .90 ct F VS1 and it would cost more than $4000 for that small of an increase.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock

oneworld said:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Certainly not trying to "time the market" .. but price increases of 11%/month don't seem sustainable to me. This basically means that the price will double every year... Certainly does not match the annual increase of my salary.
Prices certainly can't go up forever, but unless there's another credit event similar to 2008 I don't think it's likely that prices will drop anytime soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results