shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond buying on the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all!
35.gif

My name is Amanda and I just joined the forum today. I''ve been doing some reading and am happy I found this site! I am in the VERY beginning stages of looking for a new diamond and am getting a little overwhelmed by everything. I currently have a 1ct round brilliant, but I want a 2ct round brilliant. I cannot just go and buy one...I''m going to have to start small and upgrade until I have my "dream stone". It seems like a lot of people here buy their diamonds online...but that seems scary to me. Do any sites offer upgrade policies? And can you return the stone if you don''t like it? I''d be very scared to "get taken" if you know what I mean. What are the best sites for puchasing diamonds online?

Sorry for all the questions...but this is all new for me!

~amanda :)

dixxin

Rough_Rock
I am from Australia and I can recommend diamondexchange.com.au

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
I had a WONDERFUL experience with Good Old Gold. I have yet to post about it in the "Show Me The Ring" portion because I have so much to say but so little time. But they are fantastic. I was very wary of buying a diamond, especially my engagement ring, off the net. It felt a little odd not being able to seethe diamond in person and just going off of pictures. But the people at GOG took very good care of me and answered all my questions. They have excellent prices as well. My ring is gorgeous and I honestly have people comment on it every day. Sometimes it''s the same people. I couldnt be happier with the ring and with the quality of salesmenship at GOG.

Here is a link to show you what my ring looks like:

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/sugar31707/lst?.dir=/Engagement+Ring&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I''m not surprised you get comments on it...it''s gorgeous!

I have briefly looked at the Good Old Gold site and have been reading some of the educational stuff they have there. It seems like a lot of people have had great experiences with buying diamonds online. I guess I''d be afraid of not getting what I was expecting, but that doesn''t seem to be a big problem...at least with the little I''ve read here. Are the prices that the websites list negotiable? I just don''t know if I have the guts to buy a diamond online, but maybe after I educate myself more I''ll feel differently.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amanda,

Welcome to Pricescope.

There are fine jewelers to be found in most communities if you are uncomfortable shopping with an out-of-state dealer.Read through the various tutorials to learn more about the whole process and then go shopping.When you get an idea what you are looking for, you can use the database on the front page of pricescope to search for sample stones and get a pretty good idea for what budget you can expect. The prices there are pretty competitive between the various dealers and you can normally only get a few percent out of these guys (if that).This will give you a pretty good idea of how the various attributes relate to each other and to the prices you should be expecting by looking up a sample stone, changing one attribute and then looking it up again.You can pretty quickly narrow down to a range of what sorts of things you can expect for your budget. You can use this information to negotiate at the local store.

Most local retailers charge a little more for the convenience and other benefits associated with shopping there but it’s pretty common for them to start out rather high and negotiate down from there. In the end, they can be price competitive with the online guys if they want to. This process tends to be easier with independent stores than it is with the big chains.

Examining actual diamonds at the stores will help you to decide what things are important to you.It’s pretty difficult to decide on shape, for example, without actually seeing some stones and some mountings.This will also help you to decide if you prefer to compromise on color, weight, cut or whatever in order to end up at your desired budget. For most people it really is an issue of making some compromises and the trick is deciding what you are willing to give up and what you want to stand firm on. The people on this forum will be happy to give you gobs of advise on this.

A few sessions of this process and you’ll be amazed at how quickly you find yourself becoming a diamond expert and connoisseur. It’s easier than you think.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Denver for your response and suggestions! I definately plan on educating myself farther. I have a good understanding of color, clarity but see that I have a lot to learn about cut! I know I want a whiter stone and would rather sacrifice clarity. When we chose my diamond over 6 years ago...I was 21...I didn''t know ANYTHING about diamonds except for three things: 1. They sparkle. 2. They came from coal. 3. They came in different shapes. LOL!

So, I thought it was better to have a higher clarity so my diamond is .96 cts, VS1 and M in color, with a very strong flouresence giving it the appearance of a J. So I definately want G or better and won''t mind a good SI1, or an excellent SI2. And of course this time cut will play a big factor.

I definately will have to start small and upgrade to my dream diamond, but I can''t wait to at least start! Once we build our house and hubby starts working (he graduates in 10 days!) I hope to save about $3000 to get started. I hope that will be enough so I can get a decent diamond.

Okay, enough typing...I need to study my favorite subject - DIAMONDS!
34.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Whiteflash offers a nice lifetime upgrade policy. It was one of many reasons (but a small one) that I decided to buy from them.

Also - most internet PS vendors have an inspection period and return policy. You are encouraged to use this time to carefully examine your diamond and have it independently appraised (see independent appraisers on main page). If during this time you don't like the gem - or your appraiser tells you something not good - send it back. But if you buy from one of the recommended and often mentioned PS vendors (whiteflash, niceice, good old gold, winfields(wink), and others ...) you can feel confident in buying from them.

For some additional information see this link

PS Vendor Comparison

Have fun reading about diamonds on this site! Just remember the 4 C's (cut, cut, cut and cut).

kyzyl

Rough_Rock
How are Whiteflash''s prices (compare to say, BlueNile), and also do they offer Canadian / NWT certified stones?

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2004 5:56:32 PM
Author: kyzyl
How are Whiteflash's prices (compare to say, BlueNile), and also do they offer Canadian / NWT certified stones?

Well - it is not a real comparison (is not completely apples to apples without knowing the exact details on each diamond) but do this -

Go to whiteflash.com and find one of their A Cut Above diamonds - say 1 ct, G, SI-1.

Then go to Bluenile.com and look at one of their signature cut diamonds - same specs - 1ct, G, SI-1 - or if you can't find a signature cut even look at one of thier AGS ideal cut ideal polish/ideal symmetry diamonds and compare the prices.

In my experience - Whiteflash was cheaper than Bluenile by 4-8% (using their 5% PS discount of course). And some will say WF's ACA's are are better cut and better looking.

I am not knocking bluenile - it is still a better source than a mall store. They do carry AGS 0 diamonds which is a good place to start. I did look at buying from them at first.

I can't help you on the Canadian issue, but I am sure some of the experts can chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results