shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond - 1.02/1.1 carat - question on characteristics

TomJ

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just discovering this site and forum which is really impressive regarding the amount of valuable of information. I am in the process of making an engagement ring and considering my budget, considering a ring between 7000 and 10,000USD.
I am in touch with a jeweler which offers to see these two diamonds especially, knowing I am not looking at something too big (1 carat / 1.3carat max) :

to me as a beginner, it is similar unless when the 2 diamonds are side by side :

1) First choice :
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2176166012 (I believe it is fine to put the direct link ?)
GIA report 2176166012

It is a 1.10 carat / G / VS1 / Excellent Cut, with a Strong Blue fluorescence / few "feathers" (inclusions I suppose) on the side only : personally I have not real objection to fluroescence, I think it make this one quite special. It looks great.
They quoted it to me at ~ 7,555USD

2) Second choice :
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2176609241
GIA report : 2176609241

It is a 1.02 carat / F / VS2 / Excellent Cut, no flurorescence / few "feather, pinpoints", especially in the middle on the bottom of the diamond according to the diagram : It looks slighlty whiter than the first one due to the difference F Vs G I guess.
They quoted it to me at 9161USD
Quite a difference in term of price.

The preparation of the ring itself with side small side diamonds is ~ 1445USD (using white gold 18k, not platinum) - I believe the mark up is here.
-
My question is :
Are these diamonds worthwhile, great quality ? It looks to me they are, but I am just discovering this world...
The quotes I have been given, are they within the marker price for such diamonds ? I tried to look at similar diamonds (size / color / clarity / cut grade / fluorescence strong or not : any other characteristics to consider ?) on pricescope price tool and it seems ok to me for the 1.10carat / grade G.
For the second one, for what I can find similar, it seems the price varies quite a lot but is probably more around 8500USD.

Thank you in advance for your input !
I am just trying to understand whether the price of these 2 diamonds is not over priced - as in term of choice itself / feeling, I would go for the 1.1 carat / G / strong blue.

Tom

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing you can do for yourself & is fun, is use the HCA tool [under "tools" at the top of the page] to see what the HCA scores are for these two.

TomJ

Rough_Rock
Thank you ! Just did it before having seen your reply indeed as I follow the advice of "Gipsy" (given here : [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-ur-help-which-diamond-is-a-better-choice.204342/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-ur-help-which-diamond-is-a-better-choice.204342/[/URL])

Just did it : 1.6 for the 1.1 carat /G and only 4.9 for the 1.03 carat / F : then I guess the second one is automatically eliminated ! It is smaller, F , but with higher price asked...

Tom

optimizedlife

Rough_Rock
IF size matters going VS2 and/or H/I can get your some savings to put into size.

I'm new to this, but my learnings are that everyone always sees cut and size, and 'some' can notice colour up close especially if put next to another one 2-3 grades higher...but not minding fluoresence (blue) lets you go lower in colour and look the same...and clarity is practically never noticed if it's eye clean... unless you put it under a loupe or microscope. That has trended me from looking at 1.2-1.3/F/VS1 to the 1.7/G-H-I/VS2-SI1 range now. Same sparkle, larger, and the reduced qualities are irrelevant as noone would ever notice them.

Oh and yeah, HCA < 2

My two cents :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results