shape
carat
color
clarity

decisions decisions! the time ol' size vs quality debate!

marchesa6989

Shiny_Rock
getting down to the nitty gritty and making a choice of which stone to choose from a particular vendor, then i'm looking at the best option from the other later.

these stones are all triple excellent, definitely eye clean (twining wisps and what not), nil fluor and score under 2 on the HCA. i'm awaiting the idealscope.

which would you choose? please keep in mind i'm working on a budget and that less is best (although these are all within my budget, but will affect what sort of setting i choose)

0.9 I Si2 6.26.x6.31x3.77 $4020 GIA
0.9 G Si1 6.30x6.34x3.71 $4840 GIA
0.99 H Si2 6.37x6.41x3.94 $5090 AGS000
1.06 I Si2 6.63x6.65x3.94 $4820 GIA

from viewing loose stones i know i can start to see color at H, so ideally i'd prefer a G. but there is a significant size difference and maybe it's worth going down to an I? DILEMMA!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: decisions decisions! the time ol' size vs quality debat

Well, that is a little tough! But my personal limit on a rb is H color and SI1, so I'd have to probably choose the G SI1. However, I might be tempted with the H SI2 depending on the inclusions. With all of these, I'd have to see them to be sure. Actually, that H stone is AGS and my personal observation is that they can be a bit softer on color, so it might not look that different from the GIA I color. I think I'd choose my top two and have them sent to me to look at before I made a final decision.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would probably go with the H...maybe even the "I" for me but if H is where you start to see color better stay there or
higher.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would go with the G. Like you I see color after G (at least for GIA diamonds) and that would bother me so I would pick the G over the size (if you are color sensitive that is).

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock

I would pick the G. I am not sure you would notice the size difference with the H (0.7 mm). To get a noticeable increase you would have to drop to I color and, based on your post, I think that would bother you. Also, I know you didn't ask about clarity but I would rather have SI1 vs SI2 for my e-ring so the G has that going for it, too.

marchesa6989

Shiny_Rock

*sigh* everyone's right. guess i knew the answer but was in denial, being tempted by the price! guess i'll keep the 0.9 G Si1 in the running and keep looking a little more.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Since I'm not color sensitive but QUITE size sensitive i would be won over by 6.6mm :)

Smith1940

Shiny_Rock

Hi there. I've got a Hearts on Fire 0.70 I colour engagement ring. (Hearts on Fire promote themselves as having the world's most perfect cut, and the stone is a triple 000 AGS for cut, scoring under 1 on the HCA, so the cut is top-notch.) It was chosen for me and I didn't have any say in the colour level - I probably would have wanted to go higher on colour. However, it faces up really white and until I saw the AGS certificate I was pretty sure it was an E or an F. I was quite surprised to learn it was an I, as it looks so white in daylight. When I put it next to my .52 D pendant, I can see a difference but it's not that huge. The D has an icy quality that the I doesn't have. I also think the higher colour grades show up whiter in dim lighting, such as in restaurants. But anyway, if anyone here saw the ring I don't think they'd identify it as an I - it looks very white, so perhaps the way the colour faces up is to do with having a great cut. My I is plenty white and certainly doesn't have a yellow tinge at all, so do perhaps consider a good I stone with a fabulous cut. I is still in the near-colourless range and with my own stone, you really have to be holding it next to a D to tell any difference. The main point is that it faces up very white. Everyone here is saying to go higher than I on colour, but since my e-ring is an I, I just thought I'd chip in my two cents!

marchesa6989

Shiny_Rock

thanks for your input! every little bit of info is useful :)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I agree 100% with Smith1940 on I color stones. My AGS ideal cut I color princess behaves exactly the same way. I can't tell it's anything but white even when comparing it to F-G stones, at least from the face-up view. I haven't seen it next to a D, but I'd imagine there would be a subtle difference, but nothing earth-shattering. It does show some warmth in low lighting environments, especially from the pavilion view. But it's not nearly as evident as you might expect.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It sounds like you would be happier with the G.

marchesa6989

Shiny_Rock

my plan of attack is to go and see more stones both loose and set in a mount to help decide. do an objective test of G, H and I by looking at what i like in a window, then asking what it is after.

also i've got the 1.06 I and the 0.90 G on hold, and gonna keep searching for a 1ct H for under $5000 in the meantime. that might be a good inbetween compromise.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Smith1940|1321116626|3060328 said:
Hi there. I've got a Hearts on Fire 0.70 I colour engagement ring. (Hearts on Fire promote themselves as having the world's most perfect cut, and the stone is a triple 000 AGS for cut, scoring under 1 on the HCA, so the cut is top-notch.)

Your stone is clearly a very fine stone Smith - and we often suggest that without any other simple comparison it is wise for people to compare diamonds to HoF because they are widely available and the worst example is pretty good.
However the actual claim is:
"The World's Most Perfectly Cut Diamonds"
not
"the world's most perfect cut"

I know its symatics, but there is a difference.
There could only be one diamond with the "most perfect cut" until the next champ was produced.

Smith1940

Shiny_Rock

Thanks, Garry! Yes, there is a difference.

Glad you like the sound of my stone. It was bought a few years ago before the online vendors were widely known, so we probably paid a huge markup getting it from an upscale Boston jeweller's! Ah, well.

Speaking of semantics, at home in the UK advertising law traditionally did not permit superlatives (this may have changed) so businesses would have slogans saying "Probably the best fish and chips on the south coast" and there was a famous ad campaign in the Seventies for Carlsberg beer: "Probably the best beer in the world." Even now, when I see a superlative like the Hearts of Fire slogan, it seems too bold a claim to me - I feel it would be more believable if it said "Probably The World's most Perfectly Cut Diamond"!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

G SI1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results