shape
carat
color
clarity

cut corner square step cut vs. square emerald

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atalanta

Rough_Rock
I just read a post similar to this but four years old so i figure someone (who is avoiding work like me) might want to weight in... (what? You''re all actually working!? Now that''s just silly).

I have two options for diamonds right now. I''ll give all the info I have...

One is a square emerald.
D
VS2
5.4 x 5.38
Polish: excellent
symmetry: very good
flouresence: none
very thick to extremely thick
table: 65%
depth 69&

The other is a cut corner square step cut

E
VS2
5.69 X 5.60
don''t know girdle size
table: 70%
depth 72%

I know so much of this has to do with what it LOOKS like rather than numbers. But I''m a bit confused as to how I tell the difference between the two different cuts.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. Sorry I don''t have all the info. I''m just learning about all of this...slowly.

Thanks in advance. Cheers to all!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *think* the 2nd might have an extra facet in the pavillion ... so might look a little more "busy"/interesting depending on your perspective. But I cannot be sure. Its been a while since I've seen the description "Cut Cornered Step Cut" ...

Hopefully someone tracking asschers more recently will weigh in.

Will you have the opportunity to look at both stones? You're just asking what to "look for" as differences?

ETA: My own Asscher is called "Square Emerald" on its cert I believe. Do know Extremely thick girdle isn't ideal -- hides a bit of weight of the stone in an area that doesn't show size. And 72% depth seems very deep -- which also reduces spread. And Asschers are already pretty small visually for their carat weight -- they need all the spread they can get!
1.gif

Are there other Asschers you can look at also?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sure Strm will be along shortly to help out, but in the meantime, I would agree with Deco, and ask if it''s possible to expand your search beyond both of those diamonds. My Asscher is also a Square emerald, but it was certed in 2005, so I''m not up on the current certification distinctions between the two.

Not sure what your budget is, but here are a few from GOG that look like they could be very nice.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/3693/

Possibly dark under the table, but I''m sure Jon could make a video for you.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/3692/

Much smaller ct. weight than you''re looking at, but check out the video - it''s diamond #2.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5191/

And this one - .90 G VS1, and diamond #4 in the video.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5610/

atalanta

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input.

I do have the opportunity to look at both stones. I''m not sure if I want to look beyond that. I know everyone has raved about GOG here (and others whose names I currently forget). I''ve just always been really wary of doing any of this online.

But if you guys think I should keep looking, then I will definitely think about it. But besides numbers...how do I know? Everyone says that you really have to see Asscher cuts to know. I have some really good advice from other posts as to what to be looking for.

I suppose there is one other question...more assurance really...would I be foolish to actually go for either of these? If they look good to me? Or should I stop being so impatient and try to find something else? I don''t want to make a mistake (particularly on something so expensive and significant) but I also don''t want to be so picky that I never find anything (especially within ye old budget).

I apologize if I am complaining of anything. i am really so excited and just trying to make the most educated decision.

Thanks again.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The second with the 70% table is not optimal for a sparky diamond.

The first has potential but in order to tell you anything about it we would need pictures and the crown height.

SE cuts are all about patterns.
The patterns create the 10 mile deep lose yourself in me look they are famous for displaying.
Once you have the patterns then you look at fire and brightness.
An SE cut will never be the brightest diamond out there but it needs to be bright enough to look good.
An se/asscher is however one of the most fiery cuts available when cut right.

Watching the videos here will be a great help in understanding the cut:

http://www.vimeo.com/album/44204

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 10:58:13 PM
Author: atalanta
I do have the opportunity to look at both stones. would I be foolish to actually go for either of these? If they look good to me? Or should I stop being so impatient and try to find something else? I don''t want to make a mistake (particularly on something so expensive and significant) but I also don''t want to be so picky that I never find anything (especially within ye old budget).
Totally understand. I actually went against most of the common Asscher wisdom on here & picked with my eyes. Untrained eyes at the time ... so maybe I got a little lucky really.

Whether either of those stones would be a "foolish" choice -- not if you love them. Not if they are beautiful to you! It might be helpful to look at more than two stones in person before deciding. Asschers are tricky little buggers. The patterns vary so much from stone to stone & its impossible to guess what those patterns will be, or how appealing they''ll be from the #s.

Are you they type of person who test drives only two cars & makes a decision. Its not more foolish than that! And tons of people do that. If you''re the type of person who does oodles of research about everything *except* this .. then you might regret behaving differently about this particular purchase.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 11:30:48 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 7/24/2009 10:58:13 PM
Author: atalanta
I do have the opportunity to look at both stones. would I be foolish to actually go for either of these? If they look good to me? Or should I stop being so impatient and try to find something else? I don''t want to make a mistake (particularly on something so expensive and significant) but I also don''t want to be so picky that I never find anything (especially within ye old budget).
Totally understand. I actually went against most of the common Asscher wisdom on here & picked with my eyes. Untrained eyes at the time ... so maybe I got a little lucky really.

Whether either of those stones would be a ''foolish'' choice -- not if you love them. Not if they are beautiful to you! It might be helpful to look at more than two stones in person before deciding. Asschers are tricky little buggers. The patterns vary so much from stone to stone & its impossible to guess what those patterns will be, or how appealing they''ll be from the #s.

Are you they type of person who test drives only two cars & makes a decision. Its not more foolish than that! And tons of people do that. If you''re the type of person who does oodles of research about everything *except* this .. then you might regret behaving differently about this particular purchase.
Can''t really comment on Asschers and step cuts, but I did want to say--Wow, deco! Awesome post.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t tell much by the numbers but there''s one thing I know for sure; the second one is too deep at 72% so it''s going to look smaller plus a 70% table isn''t going to give much sparkle, just a lot of table glare (glassy).

atalanta

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to thank you all for weighing in and helping me. I found I was driving myself crazy, perhaps armed with a bit too much info.

We went to see the first stone yesterday and it was gorgeous. I don't have pictures but I looked for all the things I was supposed to, windmills, symmetry, good depth, steps, etc. and they all looked good. Really good. I love it. Yayyyyy!!!!
36.gif

I had to stop myself from getting crown height info and other pictures to post on here. It's not that I don't want everyone's opinion. You've all been so helpful. It's that I know this stone isn't perfect but it looked perfect to me and my fiance (whom I have now over-schooled in diamond lingo
2.gif
) I think, after doing all the research and due diligence, that I might just bask in the 'ignorance is bliss' route. To just be satisfied that I am happy and it looks beautiful to me without knowing every little detail. This is kind of new for me but I am enjoying it!

We are now working on designs. We're thinking of baguettes with an x-prong/lucida type setting. I'm really, really, really excited. I will post pics when I have it in my grubby (though less so now that I am being vigilant with manicuring my nails) little hands!

Cheers to all

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results