shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering a trade

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I have a love hate relationship with my pear. Most of the time I love it. It''s two carats and the length to width is my perfect proprtion. It scintilates constantly. It''s the perfect size. It is internally flawless. It is an M color. That''s the kicker. It''s a really pretty stone, but I''m having a very hard time finding just the right setting for it. Set it in yellow, it''s gorgeous, but the edges disappear and the size gets lost. Set it in white and (well it could be the particular metal I have) it just doesn''t pop. In most lighting it is phenominal. You truly can''t see any yellow and it sparkles like mad. But in other lights, it is distinctly yellow, kind of like crisp, clear ginger ale, which is kind of cool. But some days I just want a basic round stone that is easy to find the right setting, excellent cut, etc.

So I went looking to see what I could trade my pear for and I found this:

RB 1.11
G
SI2
6.75 - 6.7
D = 60.9
T = 57
CA = 34.3
PA = 41.3
Girdle = .7% - 1.6%
P/S both very good

Compared to my pear:

2.00 ct.
M
IF
9.91x6.69
D = 67.7
T = 60
Girdle is Thick to Extremely thick
P/S both good

I have a great setting to put the RB in. But it is SO MUCH SMALLER. Would you trade for it? It will cost me about $400 to trade.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
I would keep the pear unless the color is really really bothering you, and you know that it will always bother you. Just don''t trade it in on a whim that you think you would like a rb better, because there is a sizeable difference between the two.

I forget, what type of setting is your pear in right now? Maybe it just needs a different setting to make it "pop" more?

Also, I ran the HCA for the rb:

Light Return Very Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 3.8 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
This is the setting it is in now. The white gold is tinged yellow even though it has been dipped, so maybe a really white gold setting would be the way to go, and I''m looking into that.

pearsolitaire2.JPG

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Here is the setting I would put the round brilliant in. It currently has a 2 carat CZ in it, which I actually think is too big. I think a 1.0 - 1.5 RB would be more in proportion with the setting. It is 18k yellow gold with nice G-H VS diamonds in it.

rbring7.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
This is what the pear looked like in the gold setting.

You can see they did a poor job setting this pear, but I almost don't blame them. I have had my original .57 round brilliant (average good cut) in it, then an oval (which looked AWFUL in it) and then the pear. I think the jeweler was disgusted with me, and my indecisiveness is probably legendary.

pear ring 10.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2005 11:15:31 AM
Author:lumpkin

Set it in yellow, it''s gorgeous, but the edges disappear and the size gets lost. Set it in white and (well it could be the particular metal I have) it just doesn''t pop.
Wait a minute! There are allot more differences between the two settings than the color of the metal... Have you tried a daintier yellow gold & white prongs setting or just some other sort of yellow setting for the pear? I suspect that a thinner yellow band would show it better against the hand. The current YG prong just shows a field of diamonds for the center stone to get lost into
31.gif
That is very nice... but only if you like the look which aparently is not the case.

Just my 0.2.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 12:59:11 PM
Author: valeria101
Ana: that second settinng is SOOOOOOOOOOO much better. I was going to recommend a very delicate (so the metal cant compete with the stone--or competes less) completely bead set band and prongs...............in white gold or plat

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
That''s interesting. I definitely think a more delicate band is necessary for the pear. My plan is to go with a 2 mm cathedral, if I don''t trade it, and I''m debating between white and yellow gold. If the gold is nice, bright white, I think it will look very pretty. It''s ironic that the color of the metal bothers me more than the color of the diamond.
20.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 11:46:30 AM
Author: lumpkin
I think the jeweler was disgusted with me, and my indecisiveness is probably legendary.

Ah, I can definitely relate to that one as I search for yet another mounting. I definitely think a more delicate setting will make the pear pop. I''m partial to rounds, but I think if you do decide to get one it should be one that is very well cut. Otherwise you end up with a not so fantastic round and I suspect you will regret the trade since you love most things about your pear.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
I would totally keep the pear. I think pears are beautiful, although I might be a bit biased because I tend to like stones with a little color. I like what Ana did with the yellow gold setting...maybe something like that would help???

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure, but I have a feeling that 2 carat M IF pears sell for more than 1.11 G SI2 rounds. Can anyone confirm this?

Was it going to be an even trade?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
You are correct, the pear is definitely more valuable. However, I got it a few years ago before prices went up and there is a trade up policy with the vendor I originally got it from. 80% of the paid price goes toward the purchase of a new diamond. I have made a few discrete inquiries and due to the economy, no one wants to buy the diamond from me (they want rounds because they know that they can sell them). So, if I decide to trade this diamond, yes, I will lose money. From my experience, any time you trade a diamond, you pretty much get fleeced. Pears are not all that popular where I live (part of the reason I picked one -- different from what everone else has) so selling it out right might pose a problem.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
No way would I trade that pear!!! It has (IMHO) the perfect shape- not to skinny and long, a bit chunky and plump, but not TOO plump on the bottom. Ya know???

I totally agree that it needs something more delicate to highlight its beauty. I think that the setting it is currently in is a bit too masculine and severe. What about a solitaire, with a band similar to your wedding band? I think that would be lovely. Or just a nice shiny solitaire, about the same mm width as the wedding band. Elegant and classic.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful, beautiful pear, and if she were mine I definitely keep her! I would set her in a slender solitaire. Have you considered pink or rose gold? Maybe Ana the photoshop whiz can show us how that might look (hint, hint).

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your comments. It looks like the consensus is that the pear is a better deal than the round.

No I had not considered rose gold. It is an interesting idea. But it would have to be just the right color of rose gold (oh, no, not again with the color of the metal!!!).

I have been obsessing over the setting of this pear for almost 2 years. That''s why I have been considering trading it for a round. I love the pear, really, really I do. I don''t mind the color 95% of the time, and I love the cut. But rounds are very versatile and could be set in almost anything and look good, plus the one I am considering looks like a pretty good buy, as this pear was. And I refigured. It will cost me $250 to trade it, about the same cost as the cathedral setting I was considering for the pear.

If only I could afford one of each.
31.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Lumpkin,
I can totally relate to your dilemma. I purchased my pear a few years back and had it in a plain cathedral setting. I knew I wanted to reset it in something nicer, but I literally could not find anything ready-made that looked right for a pear shape. Everything I liked lookd great with a round, but NOT with my pear. After hiring an incapable jewel to make my *dream* ring (went round and round for nearly a year!!), I decided to trade my 2.07 ct pear (obviously jinxed) for a smaller round. I toyed with that for some time, but not only would I have to take a substantial hit on the pear, going down in size to the degree I would have had to, would have been really difficult. I finally decided to give the custom route another try and hired Quest to make my setting. Now that I''ve come through all that, painful as it was to be without an e-ring for nearly a year, I''m glad I kept my pear. It is unique compared to the majority of rings I see in public, and the right setting makes ALL the difference in the world.

Keep the pear, work on finding the right setting, and in the end, you''ll have something really special.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with most everyone else. You should keep the pear. I think it just needs the right setting. I'm also in line with keeping the setting slender and elegant. My personal favorite setting for pears is a 2-3mm band with baguettes on either side. Trilliants also showcase a pear very nicely. As for the metal...if you want a white metal, I think you should go with platinum. To my eye, diamonds with some color look better in platinum vs white gold. Yellow gold would also look nice, and compliments the color in more yellow diamond very well. I'd just stay away from the white gold. It seems to take on a "brassy" cast over time and can make yellow diamonds look dingy.

As for the yellow gold setting with the CZ...it already has a lot of diamond sparkle IMO. Have you thought about having a colored round set in that? Maybe a blue or pink sapphire? I think that would look better than your pear in that setting. I could also see a marquise sapphire in that!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Diamondlil. You know precicely what I''m talking about. I''m beginning to wonder if this is exactly why many of our local jewelers shy away from fancy shapes. I doubt I''ll be going the custom route right now. I spent a fortune on the yellow gold setting. Then we set an oval in it and then the pear, and I''ve since put the pear in another setting. It''s just too much money, too much energy, too much obsessing. I think it is simply going to have to go into a simple solitaire setting. Something definitely more delicate and feminine. Or it will have to go back into the yellow gold setting, but if it''s set properly I think it will look much better than the way it was set before. I''m not sure I want to go that route with the pear. I have to say that I sometimes wish I''d just left that original diamond from my original set in it. So far that actually looked better than anything else I''ve had in it.
38.gif

SuziQ, you may be right about the white gold. I do think that the setting it is in now makes it look dingy, I just didn''t want to say that. I''m either going to have to find a white gold with a whiter alloy (Koko had given me some info on that) or set it in yellow gold because platinum is out of the question for me right now. If I set it in yellow gold, my band won''t go with it, and I really love that band. As much as a round stone would solve all these problems, I think I will keep the pear. It''s so unique I think I''ll regret trading it (although an ideal cut round would be really cool, too!). Who knows, maybe Apollo really will get those gems going in a few years.
9.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Just for fun I attached a picture I took in the sun.

pearagain2.jpg

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I know, platinum is beautiful, but quite a bit more than gold. Just to give you an idea, here are some from BlueNile that I think are really nice with a pear. Of course, your pear is a lot BIGGER than the ones pictured, therefore would look much more awesome! I really like these types of settings for pears. They are such a unique shape, I don''t think that they need a lot of embellishment.

DM15503600_PS_100_zoom.jpg

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
another really pretty look with pave on the band

DM15502000_PS_100_zoom.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
lumpkin, You have a beautiful pear. I have seen diamondlil''s in person and her ring was done by Quest. They do awesome work. They just did my asscher ring. Maybe you should consider having them do the work for you. I sent them my stone and did all my work with them over the phone and by email. Just a thought, good luck!!!!
1.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone. I think I''ll just have to save some money and get another setting, LOL!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 9:14:13 PM
Author: lumpkin
Thank you everyone. I think I''ll just have to save some money and get another setting, LOL!
I think that is a very good decision, Lumpkin. To trade the pear in for a round, you''ll have to go down in size, and as much as I hate to say this, once you get used to a large diamond, it is REALLY hard to wear a smaller one even it if is a more brilliant cut.

Save what you can when you can. It won''t be long before you have enough to get another setting.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I think you may be right. Although I do have a hankering for an ideal round, as well. But, you know, I think I''d rather save up so that I could have both rather than trading. I traded away my first diamond. It wasn''t cut that well. It had a big table (60%) and there was significant light loss, but I got a pretty good price for it, so I figured, why not? I occasionally feel remorseful of it, not often, but still. I''d likely feel the same way trading the pear. And where I could get another half carat round pretty easily, the pear would be much harder to replace.

Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how the heck I missed this thread, but better late than never.
9.gif
It seems you''ve already come to the conclusion that I was going to suggest, which is to keep that beautiful 2 ct pear!!! (Especially if the color doesn''t bother you and you''d likely be looking at a similar color round...which does face up so much smaller!)

I just wanted to chime in that I had my 1.5 ct pear in a simple solitaire setting for about 7 months and it never got much hoopla or attention. A few people noticed how much bigger it was than my previous 0.75 ct rb stone, but nobody fawned over it or anything. Now that it''s reset into its current, dainty little setting, people literally stop me in the street. I think it''s hysterical that the same stone gets such pronounced attention now. I think that a new, daintier setting would really bring out the pear and make it such the spotlight stealer you''ll never think of trading it in again! As Diamondlil stated and I can relate to as well, it is difficult to find that "just so" setting for a pear and a lot of times we end up having to resort to a custom job which does cost $$$. But with time and luck you can find something amazing...and it will be so much more worth it than trading in for a smaller round!!!!!!!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to cast my vote with all those who said keep the pear! I too would look into a different setting, such as the one Ana posted. A more delicate setting, or a different color metal, could make a difference.

I must admit though, whenever I read comments like, "In most lighting it is phenominal. .....But in other lights,....." and "I think the jeweler was disgusted with me, and my indecisiveness is probably legendary," I am heartened to know I am not the only one! I can so relate to liking a ring in some lighting and not in others, and I guess we are both "legends"in our own time, as far as indecisiveness in rings!!!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Firegoddess, thank you for sharing your story about the setting. You ladies with the halos and delicate bands and pears really have something special! Very pretty.

Yes, I am about as indecisive as a woman gets when it comes to my pear. Maybe it isn't so much as indecisiveness as just haven't found the right setting and stone together. Anyway, now goes another hunt, LOL!
31.gif

I'm thinking of a thin, platinum cathedral band that kind of ski slopes around the head and is engraved with bead set little diamonds. I don't know if I can wear it with my existing band, though. Then there's a whole 'nuther deal to worry about. Now see why I was thinking of trading??? It's going to cost more money to keep this sucker than to get a round one and set it in my yellow gold setting. Ahhhhhh, decisions, decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results