shape
carat
color
clarity

Colorado Diamond Info?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JD

Rough_Rock
Hi, new here and just needed some help plz? Looking to buy a new ring for my wife it''s our 5th anniv. Her original ring is a mall store pre set $500 ring (which prob isnt even worth that now ive browsed these forums) but not sure what to spend on her 1st really nice ring from a actual jeweler? I was thinking maybe $2000 - $3000 total with a platinum setting? she says she likes princess cut. only reason i chose that price range is I''m actually supposed to be saving to buy her a new Lincoln Navigator but if I put that off I can go more $. also wondering whats the typical diamond rule better off with a .61 E VVS2 or a .63 G IF ? just trying to get the understanding of how to choose her diamond. Thanks for any info anyone may give.

btw... have any references for Quality Colorado Jewelers?

JD

sparklelover

Rough_Rock

Hi, neighbor!

After you have shopped for a while, I would recommend you call Jerry and Carol at Lauren Diamonds at 303-623-7977. They are family owned and I have bought my 1.04 D/SI1 RB from them 7 years ago and some other smaller pieces along the way. They seem to have the best price for the quality locally. Or I would shop online with reputable vendors recommended by the PS community.

I would avoid mall jewelers when you are buying a significant piece of jewelry. They are fun for browsing though.

Good luck!

sparkling

Rough_Rock
As a gal I''d say get the best cut you can find, followed by color around G, followed by clarity better than SI2 and then make it as big as you can afford. Use the guidelines for princess cut in this site under knowledge, fancy cuts, princess. IF and VVS and probably even VS are unnecessary in princesses-they will add cost but not beauty-the well-cut princess cut will be so sparkly clarity will probably not be an issue at all. Poorly cut princesses look awful-I know I have one.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. Go cut, than color, than clarity. Always sacrifice clarity first. I stay VS2 and above to be safe.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 2:26:13 PM
Author: codex57
I agree. Go cut, than color, than clarity. Always sacrifice clarity first. I stay VS2 and above to be safe.

If you can look at the stone yourself, you might be able to go down to I1 clarity (a la Patty)!! My ering is SI2 and completely eye-clean, but sight-unseen, I too would stay VS2 and up to be safe if you''re not working with a trusted vendor (GOG, WF, etc). However, even VS stones can have visible inclusions if they are close to the table, break the surface, or are reflected up to the eye by the faceting pattern. Go for eye-clean clarity unless you want/can afford a higher clarity (mind-clean) diamond.

Other than these exceptions, I totally agree with codex and sparkling''s summaries.

And can I say, what a sweet man you are!! Your wife is one lucky lady to have a guy putting so much time and effort to get her this present!

JD

Rough_Rock
wow thnx for all that info from the 4 of you!! I am soooooo lost on all this Diamond stuff. ya i luv her and its about time she had an excellent ring to grace her hand. I never even heard of the 4''c before stumbling on this forum yesterday ( which explains the current mall store ring she already has LOL)! but I really have alot to think about now not even including searching for a platinum wedding set (or whatever its called )she willl like. I am also happy I am now able to finally afford to give her something she will love (besides kids). once again I thank you all for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results