shape
carat
color
clarity

Color sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pj_rage

Rough_Rock
I''m planning on buying an ACA really soon here, but to get an idea of a what super ideal cut stone looks like, and to estimate my color sensitivity, I went to look at some HOF diamonds the other day.

But, the thing is, I guess I''m not color sensitive at all? The lady had two stones within a couple points of each other, around 0.70, one was G color, SI1, the other was I color (also SI1 I believe), and I could see no difference in the two stones. Literally, none. I consider myself to have really good vision, so I thought it would be relatively easy to tell, but I try as I may, they looked soooooo close. I really only looked under whatever the store lighting was (not outside or anything), is that why? Or maybe G is too close to I to tell? Or does the cut really mask the color that much? Or am I just completely color blind when it comes to diamonds?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did you view the stones? The colour is graded with the diamonds placed upside down so that you can see their pavilons on a sheet of white paper. If viewed from the top (table), it is possible for a non colour sensitive person to not be able to see the difference between a G and an I for well cut rounds. This is great news for you as you don''t need to spend extra money on higher colours.
9.gif

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 4:03:33 PM
Author: Chrono
How did you view the stones? The colour is graded with the diamonds placed upside down so that you can see their pavilons on a sheet of white paper. If viewed from the top (table), it is possible for a non colour sensitive person to not be able to see the difference between a G and an I for well cut rounds. This is great news for you as you don''t need to spend extra money on higher colours.
9.gif
No kidding, this is great news for you!!! More diamond for the money $$$!

pj_rage

Rough_Rock
I did view them from the top down only (they were set). So it''s me huh? I can''t believe anyone can see the difference in those. I still have excellent vision and I swear there was no difference in color.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 4:30:18 PM
Author: pj_rage
I did view them from the top down only (they were set). So it''s me huh? I can''t believe anyone can see the difference in those. I still have excellent vision and I swear there was no difference in color.
Great news for you!!!
36.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Lighting has a lot to do with what you see...the halogen lights in jewelry stores put diamonds on a level color playing field (that''s by design, of course), but you might see a hint of difference under different conditions.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Move over, please, and make room... I''m in the same boat you are!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

I, too, was amazed at how little (if *any* noticeable) difference there is between color grades. That''s why when I upgraded (from an AGS-0 1.53 G/VS2 to an AGS-0 2.36 J/SI2) -- I never looked back!!!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 4:48:02 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
Lighting has a lot to do with what you see...the halogen lights in jewelry stores put diamonds on a level color playing field (that''s by design, of course), but you might see a hint of difference under different conditions.
Ditto. You need to look at them in natural light. ie. outside, or at least by a window.

However, view them one at a time. Most people can see the difference in a couple grades if they compare them side by side. You want to know what they look like alone, because that''s how you''ll wear it.
2.gif

And you may find you still don''t see much, or any color, in an I!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results