carat
color
clarity

cloudy diamond?

Johannes89

Rough_Rock
hey guys,
i got 1 quick and straight forward question:

Is it possible that this diamond looks cloudy/milky/dirty on the table to the naked eye due to the clouds?

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2161375010

b4 i bought it i had asked the seller if the fluor has any negative effect on it which he assured me isnt the case.

generally i expected a VS2 cloud to be 100% eye clean so would it be possible that its just the polish itself that isnt 100% perfect?

im asking because under strong lighting and certain angles ( maybe like 45° ) the table looks a bit cloudy to me.

Thx in advance for your help.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so, so unlikely that a VS2 of that size would have inclusions or internal graining that practically impact visible clarity... I'm comfortable stating that that's not the case. And it's got a recent report and polish is excellent, which eliminate age and artifacts of cutting as well.

Any negative effects due to fluor wouldn't be isolated to one part of the stone.

How clean is the stone? Is it completely spotless, top and bottom? If it's been a while since it was cleaned let it soak overnight in some hot water and take a toothbrush to it tomorrow, and see if that doesn't fix it ::)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tilt at 45 degrees and any diamond is going to loose brilliance under the table, this is not the same as cloudy.

Johannes89

Rough_Rock
hey,

thx for ur educated answer :)

so ure basicly saying the only plausible reason would be that its not 100% clean?
i bought it a few weeks ago and havent given it to my lady yet.
I gotta say though that ive been playing around with it quiet a bit^^ SO EXCITED
i guess ill give it a try and see if i can clean it sometime and see if anything changes.

Idk if that helps but when i looked at it under 60x magnification i did see the inclusion pretty much in the middle of the table and wasnt 100% sure if thats the cloud and or the crystal, but id definately say it didnt spread over the whole table so that shouldnt be the reason as u said.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Theoretically perfect virtual diamond at 45 degree tilt.

45degree.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Johannes89|1416602935|3788164 said:
hey,

thx for ur educated answer :)

so ure basicly saying the only plausible reason would be that its not 100% clean?
i bought it a few weeks ago and havent given it to my lady yet.
I gotta say though that ive been playing around with it quiet a bit^^ SO EXCITED
i guess ill give it a try and see if i can clean it sometime and see if anything changes.

Idk if that helps but when i looked at it under 60x magnification i did see the inclusion pretty much in the middle of the table and wasnt 100% sure if thats the cloud and or the crystal, but id definately say it didnt spread over the whole table so that shouldnt be the reason as u said.

As a jeweler who wears gloves when handling new jewelry and advises his clients to either not touch or to get some good latex gloves (cloth ones tend to leave lint and threads everywhere they go) I am going to guess that the cause is YOUR FINGER GOOKIE!

Yuck! Let her be the one to first install finger gookie, it is her ring and should be SPOTLESS when you give it to her.

Take a few drops of an ammoniated dish washing liquid in some warm water. Scrub diligently with a soft bristle tooth brush. Rinse extremely well using the hotest water you can stand. Blow the water drops off with a blast from the compressed air can that you use to blow dust and other detritus off of your computer keyboard and then wipe with a soft absorbent cloth to remove as much of the residual petroleum residue from the ring as you can.

Try your experiment again to see if you still see cloudiness where none should be.

If you do, go to local jewelry store and ask them to professionally clean your ring, which will add the step of a steam cleaner to the basic routine that I gave you, and they will have a professional cleaning solution if they are not saving money by making their own.

If after that you still see clouds, then ask the jeweler to show you some of his diamonds to see if you see clouds when ever you look at a diamond like that.

If you don't, return your diamond and get one that you like.

If you do, then stop looking at diamonds like that!

{Joke, please do not take offense, it just leaped off your post at me and I tried to stop my fingers, but they are not listening...)

Wink

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could it be the K color, are you sensitive to color, ask to see a G color next to other colors.

Johannes89

Rough_Rock
@wink: no offense taken! ty for your honest answer, thats exactely the type of answer i was hoping to get :) ill go and try cleaning it soon.

@Pyramid: To me it doesnt seem like a color problem but ty anyways for your input :)

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Phew! Wonderful!! That was an easy fix. Must thank super hero Wink for the quick and cheap fix!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results