shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped Diamond - another thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ziti1

Rough_Rock
I found this website while reseaching what to do about a chip we found on a diamond we''ve had just over one year. It begins at the girdle ("medium") and runs down the side of the pavilion looking like the top layer of one facet sheared off. The stone is GIA 3.01 carat, SI2, I color. While we can wonder forever how the chip happened, I am trying to learn about repair vs. trying to work with our insurance for a replacement. I guess I''d like to apply that old question - "Does size matter" when trying to determine the best course of action. Based on the way the unusual modern setting is designed (girdle exposed on 1/3 of circumference; wrapped by setting on 2/3), it would be possible to turn the stone 180 degrees and the chip would no longer be visible. All advice much welcomed and greatly appreciated!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ziti1,

One of the services that I offer, usually to insurance companies, is called a damage report. This is an estimation of the predamage condition of the piece, the costs to repair (including pull and resetting the stone and repair of any damage that this might cause) and the expected resultant attributes of the stone. There may or may not be a valuation component involved. The companies then will use this information for determining the extent of the damages with a claim. Many other appraisers offer similar services although they may have different names.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results